No announcement yet.

Has anyone read books by Tamora Pierce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found Wild Magic while just browsing in Barnes and Noble sometime long, long ago. Well, I think it was sixth grade or something, so what, three years ago? The title and the cover art caught my eye, so I thought to myself, "Self, I think that this book will be worth your time." And that is how it all started!

Please excuse the <STRIKE>temporary</STRIKE> insanity.

One of my friends loaned me Magic Steps, which got me interested in the Circle books. I just had to go back and read the first ones. I have all those books in paperback, except for Shatterglass... It messes up the order of my shelf. Hehe.

My top three authors would have to be DD (of course), Tamora Pierce, and Robert Jordan. Robert Jordan wrote the Wheel of Time books that I absolutely fell in love with, but they totally ruined every other book I read after them because I haven't found any to live up to the standard of writing. Everything seems so childish, or poorly written, or just not interesting. That's probably why I kind of got out of the habit of reading constantly. I used to read like a book a day, but lately... *sigh*

Now that I went off chasing rabbit trails...

I read The Will of the Empress (isn't that it? correct me if my memory fails) and thoroughly enjoyed it. It wasn't my favorite of Tamora Pierce's, but I thought that it was quite nice. There were a few things that I didn't like, but that was more plot things than writing.
    <3
    the awesome like whipped cream || Queen of Nonsensical || Guardian Angel of YW || who *dies* a lot || but <3s everybody || who pours out her soul || and doesn't always say what she should || but is

Comment

Garrett:
      I'm also partial to Elizabeth Moon's The Deed of Paksenarrion for learning-to-be-a-warrior fiction, but that one's not as kid-friendly as TP's series.
      Yes that is a great followup to the TP books.

Hey Alyson, I know two bookshops that are local to me that you can order the YW books in through. And they usually have a decent stock of all of the ones that are in paperback. Also, if you're anywhere near Coolangatta, 'The Book Shop' is a good secondhand bookshop to find out of print stuff.

Comment

Amazingly I actually found a Circle Reforged Book! I did not think they existed. The one I found is called "The will of the empress"
        ~~~
        No Comments...Wait, that's a Comment!

Comment

actually...yeah.

the ones i read were awesome

Why you ask?
          http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...ass/ab1024.jpg

Comment

Mmmm. . .I read the first two Immortals books, got halfway through the third, then quit. It happens. I really like Garth Nix. Abhorsen is a great read. My favorite book to re-read would have to be The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks. Greatest. Book. Evah. I keep it with me at all times, for any situation that might herald bordom. No time for that sort of nonsense, wot wot! Now, back to homework!

Kinsey, who just discovered that one of the smilies has wings and is flying. Her joy level is through the roof.

* Edit: Okay, SYWTBAW is the greatest book ever, but The Zombie Survival guide can be opened to any point and read, making it more convinient for a short read. Also, when zombies do attack, I will be totally and utterly prepared.

Comment

um, I've read the Will. it was horrible. I LOVE DAINE!
              the most amazing band in the world... The Science of Sleep... www.myspace.com/thescienceofsleepar

Comment

EEEK!!!!! Finally, I have found Tamora Pierce fans!!!! After YEARS of waiting, (Well, no, actually, 2) I've found you! Righ tnow, I'm finally getting into her other series' but I am a TOTAL Circlefan!! The Circle Reforged is just one book, and I hope that there'll be more. I can't find the audiobook anywhere, even though I'm in the US ! Oh well, was never an audiobook person anyway.
                Oh, and Hi! The name's Cheeto. I'm new, so ignore any idiotic newbie remarks emanating from me.
                I LOVE RONAN!!!!!!!
                And I'm Carmela's evil twin. :happymad: mwahaha.
                You stay away from my cookies, candy, and any other sugary products, and we're good. :winkthumb: If not, well, then: :hoppingmad: You go byebye.
                'Nuff said. :)

Comment

I love Tamora Pierce's books. i have read all of her books and some of her short stories. My sister gave me books by her and thats how i became (re)influenced into this whole fantasy thing I love Daine's books. I just love how she can shapechange. I liked her most recent 2 in the Tortall series (Trickter's Choice & Trickster's Queen) but i wish she wrote them in a quartet like she usually does. I felt like i didnt know the characters in those books as well as i knew Alanna or Daine or Kel or any of her Cricle Of Magic books...

oki. im done now.

Summary: I love her books. Sorry if u read through all that before finding this here....
                  There's only us, there's only this
                  Forget regret, or life is yours to miss,
                  No other road
                  No other way
                  NO DAY BUT TODAY
                  (from the Broadway musical - RENT)

Comment

Cheeto- no I do not read the book but... I like your Icon!

Comment

Yes! I've read all of the Tortall books, and they were really good. I first found Wild Magic in my school's library, so natrually I had to read the rest of the series, then the Lioness Quartet, then The Protector of the Smallseries, and then the Trickster's books. They were all awesome, though not better than DD's.
                      --May we go where errantry takes us,doing Their business and the Ones, and when we meet Him say "Fairest and Fallen, greeting and defiance!"

Comment

like Wizardgirl, i have read all the Tortall books and i am getting more of her books my mail in June. If not before. But yes, they are very awesome. I have to say, im not sure who is better, DD or Tamora. One thing is that Tamora adds some romance into hers which speeds up the book as well as that im weird that way. I love DD's way of writing though, a ton, i really do. I read the Tortall books way out of order, which i know regret, but yeah. I got the Immortals seires and Trickster ones first from my mom in January. And i read those first, (Immortals first then Tricksters), and then i got the Alanna ones and Protector of the Small ones. I love them so much. My book shelf is getting kinda full, which im happy about. I will soon have books all over my bed, my mom wants me to trade them!! No way!!

Whoa, that was weird, the stupid thing posted before i even hit post, ugh. Thank god it saved.

So anyways, I dont care if i sleep with books on half of my bed and me on the other half. I love them too much! Im such a book worm now. When i was still in school i wouldnt dare touch a book for fun. Now im like, why does everyone think books are for geeks? Sucks for them they are missing out on such great books.
                        I have to say i think the Protector ones are best. I love Cleon, even if he does marry some one else! -Sigh..- (Hope i didnt spoil out anyone!!)
                        I like the Trickster ones though, both win, they are equal..i cant decide!! Ahhh! hehe.

T O R i
                        Love and be loved

Comment

It's not a good idea to read those out of order... I did the exact same thing... And then somehow, when I was reading the Alanna series I had to skip the first thirty pages at first... there was a printing error with the print run that I bought.... Not very convenient.

I think that Circle Opens is pretty good though too... My favorite of all her books is probably In the Hand of the Goddess though.
                          Life Sucks, then you laugh-Chicken Bones for the Teenage Soup

"Dr. B! Dr. B! you should become a nun so that you can predict the future." Math class

"I thought you could only get cholestorol from eating people." Again, math class

Comment

Why, thank you slash!
                            I LOVE RONAN!!!!!!!
                            And I'm Carmela's evil twin. :happymad: mwahaha.
                            You stay away from my cookies, candy, and any other sugary products, and we're good. :winkthumb: If not, well, then: :hoppingmad: You go byebye.
                            'Nuff said. :)

Comment

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I've read all Tamora Pierce's books, too. As in all...12...20...23...all 23 of them...just about everyone I know has read them...and loved them!

They are so much better if you read them in order the first time...of course by the 10th time, it really doesn't matter...

I have to complete my collection of her books...
                              I'm only missing a few (The last three circle of magic books, Wolf Speaker, Emperor Mage, Realm of the Gods)

Does anyone think her next series (The Provost's Dog trilogy, starting with Terrier) will be any good?</span>

EDIT: My sig looks really funny with this post...really unrelated...hehehe
                              ~~~~~~~~
                              Should the Transcendent Pig be reading this post...What's the meaning of life?

Comment

I've read 15 of them- the Song of the Lioness, Protector of the Small, Immortal and Daughter of the Lioness books, and Sandry's Book in the Circle of Magic quartet.

I hope Terrier will be good- unlike her other ones, it is apparently be written in first person, which will be different. And the other characters (i.e. Alanna, Kel, etc..) won't be in it because it takes place earlier 200 years before that (or something like that...)
                                ~~~~Dani~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X