Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by estar9821 View Post
    It's been two years!
    More accurately, it's been twenty-seven years, all the more reason for me to not casually spoil it.
    Ardub
    r:w)

Comment

Originally posted by Ardub View Post
      More accurately, it's been twenty-seven years, all the more reason for me to not casually spoil it.
      ...in which time you're the only one who's claimed to have spotted it.

Well, my move, and I think, in accordance with the Manhatten-Winchester Variation, which trumps Grand Central in this situation, I should play...

Van Cortlandt Park
      -- Rick.

Comment

Does it have anything to do with the TBoNWM's other names, The Naming of Lights, say, or "The Gaze of Rhoua's Eye" (or something like that?) Or am I confused and it's just that one name?

My stabs in the dark:
        Van Gogh's Starry Night
        London's nuclear-wasteland-on-the-moon in To Visit the Queen
        New moons, no moons. *Shrug*

Yep, I have no idea what I'm doing. Or thinking. Where's GoogleEarth? I take my place at:

Penn Station

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Leopard View Post
          ...in which time you're the only one who's claimed to have spotted it.

Well, my move, and I think, in accordance with the Manhatten-Winchester Variation, which trumps Grand Central in this situation, I should play...

Van Cortlandt Park
          This just made me think, it could be a degenerate joke. The real joke is, that there is no pun and he gets a huge laugh out of us trying to figure it out for two years.
          My Young Wizard's RP Forum

Comment

if the pun is van goh's starry night, I really, really, REALLY don't get it.

Since Penn Station was played, the Ailurian Variant sub-rule 43.a.21 comes into effect, which states that no other human-use station plays can be made until 347 points have passed (or been donated by one of the players). Since I called MC too soon in the last round, I have a deficit and can't donate points. According to Stovold, a station qualifies for 'non-human-use' status if less than 1% of the pedestrian traffic in the past year is human. Therefore, my only option is to go off-planet. (There was a precedent set for this in the 2nd round of the first Ailurian Variant game ever played).

The Crossings

Comment

Okay, enough is enough

This has been going on for how many years now?!

Somebody had better tell us all what this pun is that I've alleged to have made, or I may come out in hives.

Also: I am now inventing Duane's Law, which on the Forums shall be construed to mean: "Any time a thread degrades into a game of Mornington Crescent, it's time to explain what's been going on." Or something like that.
              Last edited by Diane Duane; March 31, 2010, 07:39:18 AM. Reason: Busted HTML or some such
              -- DD

Comment

Would someone please explain what Mornington Crescent is?

Also, what is this pun?!? I can't figure it out?
                Ars longa, vita brevis
                (Art is long, life is brief) -- Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy View Post
                  Would someone please explain what Mornington Crescent is?

Also, what is this pun?!? I can't figure it out?
                  It's all here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning...ent_%28game%29

(But not the pun.)
                  Last edited by Lee Enfield-Burke; March 31, 2010, 05:35:34 PM.
                  Lee / Forum Administrator

Comment

SpacePen, I thought semi-Lateral Shunts put you in Nid. Live and learn.

Originally posted by Diane Duane View Post
                    ... I am now inventing Duane's Law, which on the Forums shall be construed to mean: "Any time a thread degrades into a game of Mornington Crescent, it's time to explain what's been going on." Or something like that.
                    Oh, we are so playing more Mornington Crescent, now.

La Cienaga Blvd.

Is the pun multilingual because they all translate to the same term in language X (say, Latin)?
                    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Diane Duane View Post
                      Also: I am now inventing Duane's Law, which on the Forums shall be construed to mean: "Any time a thread degrades into a game of Mornington Crescent, it's time to explain what's been going on." Or something like that.
                      Well, I was listening to Melvyn Bragg and some interesting but slightly pompous discussion about the development of cities, but then I read that...

Oh. Ah! Of course!

Canal Street!
                      Last edited by Lazy Leopard; April 1, 2010, 05:15:09 AM.
                      -- Rick.

Comment

Oooh, Ardub got told! Cheeky.

Because players must take every opportunity to give other players earworm, I really must go to

Paekakariki Station

(Because Paekakariki boys are cheeky/Wainuiomata girls are smarter. Which I will now be sing-songing to myself all night.)
                        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Hm, I can't find what was done in the Mornington Crescent mystery hunt puzzle so I can't use that to make my move .

However, this just means I'm going to be reminded of books from growing up and move to
                          Paddington Station

In terms of the pun, I had completely ignored that it might possibly exist because of how much it was being "hidden". If people are going to be pushing so hard in both directions for finding one, then its not worth my time to search, especially when its gone on for years.
                          We will remember you PM. And your little GingerBear.

Comment

Great, permission! :-)

I had been thinking about the name "Diane" (in the context of someone else) and my mind made a mental checkmark that it was a Roman name-for / goddess-of the moon. Then a mental jump to this Diane, and a sudden thought: Moon... Diane... I wonder if there's any chance that "Duane" could mean... so I looked it up... Gaelic for Darkness, Black, occasionally Night!

The Book of Night with Moon is "The Book of Diane Duane"

How's that for poetic? An eponymous book buried at the heart of this series. That can't be coincidence, can it? My recent post reviving this thread was when I discovered a short story collection by the author of Dune, called "The Book of Frank Herbert" - I imagined TBoNwM might be a subtle nod to that.

So, I plead not guilty to stringing everyone along on a wild goose chase - whether intentional or serendipitous, I really do think it's a great pun! (And "personal" enough that I didn't want to risk the wrath of the Moon by spilling it!)

By the way, I could take the analysis (another?) step too far by pointing out that in the books, people hear the Speech in their own language, thus the over-translation of the non-English-origin "Diane" and "Duane" into their English counterparts when people try and say the name of the Light book...
                            Ardub
                            r:w)

Comment

Russel Square.

Thank goodness, Ardub FINALLY said the pun...
                              "This will look great next to my restraining order from Leonard Nimoy!" ~ Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

Comment

Originally posted by Ardub View Post
                                I had been thinking about the name "Diane" (in the context of someone else) and my mind made a mental checkmark that it was a Roman name-for / goddess-of the moon. Then a mental jump to this Diane, and a sudden thought: Moon... Diane... I wonder if there's any chance that "Duane" could mean... so I looked it up... Gaelic for Darkness, Black, occasionally Night!

The Book of Night with Moon is "The Book of Diane Duane"...
                                Hmm. Fascinating theory.

...And nothing that ever crossed my mind. The Book's title came out of a rereading of Budge's early work on Egyptian mythology, The Gods of the Egyptians, where Budge spends some time talking about the Pert em Hrw or Chapters of Coming Forth By Day -- what in English is usually referred to as "The Egyptian Book of the Dead"; but its full title is here --

http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/bat/bat03.htm

I looked at that and thought, "I need something a little shorter..." But I realized I wanted something in the "Book of X doing Y" format. Eventually as the plot for SYW... firmed itself up, I sat down and thought, "Okay. What are the important things about this instrumentality? It's a book. You need moonlight to read it. Probably makes more sense if it's dark at the same time." Book. Night. Moon. Voila.

...The only thing I can add to this is the suggestion that if I was going to hide myself in a book this way, I'd either (a) be a lot more obvious about it or (b) be completely indetectable.

Nonetheless: nice theory. (applause)
                                -- DD

Comment

Working...
                                X