No announcement yet.

"Book of Night With Moon" a pun!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OHHHHH, I think that I may have finally got it!!! I think that after concentrating on the title I may have got it. Thanks for the hint! Ummm, if you still post on here ardub. I mean, I haven't seen you here in a while. and vashmata, I think that I got the ironic joke which I whited out- but I don't think it's that funny.<span class="ev_code_WHITE"> on the cover of The Book of night with moon it's still daytime.</span> I could be wrong about the pun ardub was talking about, but I found a different pun if I am. oh well.
    Believe something... and somewhere, it's happened

Comment

Hmm, the thing you wrote in white isn't what I mean, but if you have another pun in mind, too, PM me and I'll tell you if that's what I have in mind.

Hopefully we'll get this all sorted out and in the open when the next chat comes along.
      Ardub
      r:w)

Comment

Originally posted by Ardub View Post
        Well, here's the problem: the same intuition that tells me my theory is right also tells me that this is to be left for each person to discover on their own. Or to put it more technically: This play-on-words is protected by a Level 10 Oath-referential non-disclosure wizardry, violators subject to forfeiture of Timehart visa eligibility, afternoon snacks, or both.

So until I'm corrected on one point (the pun), or the other (the secrecy), by the only one here who can, then mum's the word.

Just look at the cover for a while.
        unless im totally not seeing what your seeing, that's hilarious.

ooor, im totally not seeing what your seeing, and im an idiot
        the black "night" colored cat is mooning the cats behind it. i think thats not what you meant, but i just noticed that
        Last edited by zilvox; April 29, 2009, 06:27:59 PM.
        There is always a price, but who pays it is optional.

Comment

*frustrated with pun*

I know there is one, and I want to see the 'hit-over-the-head-with-a-planet' thing... XD But it's just not coming to me! Back to more concentration...

Does it reference to anything else, like any other book or movie or something that you would have to know of, to make it necessary to understand the pun, or is it just YW related?
          Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

Hit-over-the-head-with-a-large-planet, you mean :-) (that's not a hint, I'm just reiterating how cool I think it is)

You don't need to know anything about the story to get the play on words. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if DD had that name in mind before even starting the series, much as Tolkein said that he started with the idea "In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit," and got to wondering exactly what a Hobbit was and what kind of world he'd live in.

Of course, as it's a play-on-words, general linguistic knowledge is useful.
            Ardub

Comment

This thread reminds me of Mornington Crescent...

Originally posted by kk View Post
              *frustrated with pun*

I know there is one,
              What makes you so certain?

Originally posted by Ardub View Post
              Of course, as it's a play-on-words, general linguistic knowledge is useful.
              Puns in general, or the one you claim to have spotted specifically?

Puns in general often have a strong spoken/heard component, and may not work for everyone. Same for rhymes. I'd say tomato and potato do not rhyme. Others would disagree...
              Last edited by Lazy Leopard; June 1, 2009, 06:44:38 PM.
              -- Rick.

Comment

This play-on-words specifically:
                a) Doesn't have a spoken component
                b) Doesn't even lose its impact even when "The Book of Night With Moon" is translated into other languages. Someone holding a translated copy of the book has as much chance of noticing this. And I don't mean zero ;-)
                c) nonetheless requires making a linguistic connection.
                Ardub

Comment

Lazy Leopard: Okay, revision: "I think there is one." Though I can't seem to find a pun, the phrase seems like the type of thing that could have one. No matter how impossible it is to find, if it exists.

Ardub: How easy was it for you to figure out? And... define "Linguistic Knowledge..."
                  Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

It's not really a matter of how easy it was to figure out, since I wasn't trying. I was thinking about word meanings in a completely different context, and realized that I had formed a play on the words of that title. Though I admit is is easier to go that way than work backwards from the title like you have to do.

Oh well, sooner or later there will be a chat, and I (or if I'm not there, someone else) can ask for a response of:

A) "Go ahead and say it"
                    B) "Don't. Keep it for people to discover, or not, on their own"
                    C) "Huh? What in the world are you talking about?"

Until then, it's option B to keep the status quo.
                    Ardub

Comment

Well, well... I think I just found another layer to this joke :-)

It seems to be not only a great stealth pun, but a nod to the author of the Dune books.

Still hoping to get an official answer here someday!
                      Ardub

Comment

Just say the pun!

Comment

Okay, please just tell us the pun. It's been two years! Even if we all say we get it, we all could get different versions of it, but yours might be the funniest so we'd all still want to know yours. I'm really expecting it to be something great if you've been keeping it away from people for so long...
                          "This will look great next to my restraining order from Leonard Nimoy!" ~ Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

Comment

mornington...

I must say I'm with Lazy Leopard above...

MORNINGTON CRESCENT. I win!

Comment

Have you never played Mornington Crescent before? That is so not by Stovold. Especially if you're playing by the Ailurian variant of non-Planet-bound Earth rules as laid down in JD 2455276.50000 (like we normally do on this board).... Let's start again.

Grand Central.
                              Last edited by Kathy Li; March 21, 2010, 08:33:04 PM.
                              New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Downtown Crossing.
                                "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Working...
                                X