The man at the bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll join BRttTF Gryph! Sounds fun.
    POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT. Is taking over my mind.
    penguins will rule the world.

Comment

The books were cool. After a while, though, they all started to get this repetitive feel. It wasn't the way the authors wrote; I don't think any two books that I read had the same author. It was more the theme or plot. Like the unbeleivably ruthless baddy or whatever.

Yes! Join the Be Random ti the Topic Foundation, the only foundation where you can be random [to the topic]!
      Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

GRYPHON HOW CAN YOU SAY DR. WHO LOOKED FAKE? IT IS ONLY THE GREATEST SCI-FI SHOW EVER. OKAY, SO THE SPECIAL EFFECTS COULD BE A LITTLE BIT CHEESY AND ALL THE LOCATION WORK WAS DONE IN A WELSH QUARRY BUT STILL, AT LEAST THE BADDIES WERE ACYTALLY THERE, NOT JUST COMPUTER GENERATED!

The Dalaks were never scary though. I wanted one as a pet. Cybermen were, except in their first appernce.

Sorry about shouting but I've been a Dr. Who fan for a looooong time.

Comment

What can I say after your post?

Hehehehehehe

Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

The location work was not all done in a Welsh quarry!

Some of it was done in Cornish clay pits!

Oh, and there were locations near the Houses of Parliament, and St Paul's Cathedral, both in London. Mmmm.

There's an often-reprinted still photo of a Dalek on Westminster Bridge, and of Cybermen walking down the steps near the cathedral.
            Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Okay then, maybe not all... City of Death was in France and Planet of Fire was in some really hot country. I can't remember where though.

I forgot about the clay pits!

Have you seen the photo from Dr. Who on the BBC website PM? Some of the captions for the Attack of the Cybermen are sooo funny.

Gryphon, if you everget the chance, you should watch some Dr. Who. It's really good.

Comment

City of Death, written by Douglas Adams, who later reused parts of the plot in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Planet of Fire was shot in Tenerife, in the Canary Islands.

Hadn't seen those . "Look at my enormous gun!" "Bowlers are out! What this year's well dressed city worker will be wearing." is the shot I meant, the one on the steps near the cathedral. (Hmmm. I bought a video of Life of Brian in a shop in the road the cameraman's standing beside.) Oh, and in "The Cybermen have gone to Iceland", Iceland is a chain of freezer centres here, selling frozen food.

Tomb of the Cybermen was the first Doctor Who episode I remember watching. It gave me nightmares, and I wasn't allowed to watch it for a while after that . That "Did anyone order a party-pack?" photo is a scene I still remember. (Of course, the fact that I bought the VHS a while ago doesn't hurt, either.)

Gryphon, if you ever get the chance... don't read the silly versions before you've seen the series, it'll completely mess up your expectations .

I feel the irresistible urge to point to this webpage which points to a comedy Doctor Who story .

Comment

The first I ever saw was the Five Doctors. I think. All I remember was the Dalak and thinking how cool it was.
                  I'm looking forward to the new serise but it does sound like they are trying too hard with Billie Piper's character. Stronge female characters are nothing new to the show (Tegan, Ace, Leela) so they shoukd stop acting like she is the first not to be a screamer.
                  I'm wondering what will happen when they want to change Doctor. Counting Paul Mgann (how is that spelt?) and Richard E. Grant it's up to number 10 before the new serise and the Docotr can only regenerate 12 or 13 times.

Comment

I've got Five Doctors on DVD. So far, it's the only Doctor Who story I do have on DVD (though I have several VHS ones).

I haven't read much about the new series, so I didn't know about the "not a screamer". Carole Anne Ford pointed out in one interview she was originally not supposed to be a screamer either - and she was the first companion, way back in 1963!

Paul McGann is spelt Paul McGann, as far as I can remember. I'm hoping they don't count that one, with its half-human Doctor. Counting Rowan Atkinson, Jim Broadbent, Richard E. Grant and Hugh Grant... he's already run out of regenerations and started again with Joanna Lumley!

Comment

Triple Rimmer
                      In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.

Douglas Adams

Comment

I used to have lots and lots of Dr Who on vhs but when I figured out that I could never have them all I gave it up. I like the show but the problem is that it comes on at midnight and- well- I'm really more of a morning person.
                        I like sleeping in front of the tv but I hate waking up and finding out that I missed most of a show I wanted to see.
                        Maybe it's Art.

Comment

Even the BBC doesn't have them all any more .
                          DVD seems better to me than VHS for accumulating lots of series - for instance, every episode of Futurama is on that shelf, I've got about 40% of the Marx Brothers films...

... and I've still only got one Doctor Who DVD.

Comment

Anyone know when the hitchikers movie is coming out and who is in it?
                            ----
                            When is thee next book coming out in DD's Series? I thougt it was coming out in september 04

[edited to consolidate double-post. kli.]
                            In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.

Douglas Adams

Comment

How did this go from "The man in the bar", which is the title, to a dicussion about Dr. Who and movies?
                              It's like Semi's foundation, the Watch the Topic Mutate Foundation.

Fred22, first question: No idea. . .
                              Fred22, second question: The next YW book, Wizards at War, is due out spring 2005. You can read the first three chapters on the exerpts page.

Comment

Fred, Fred, Fred. *forces a grin* I'm in a really hissy mood, so I'll be short, otherwise I'll start screaming.

No one liners / short posts; costs Diane Duane (DD) money w/o getting very much done. You could combine your two posts, and no doubles, please.

The past few days we've all been grinding our teeth over one newbie who WILL NOT LISTEN, and we have warned her SO MANY TIMES. You on the other hand, have done nothing much, and I'd just like to give you the heads up. The other member however... *seeths*

I'm not mad at you, so don't worry about that. I'm just about to blow over the pain, <span class="ev_code_WHITE">wizardsrreal</span>. GRRR

Comment

Working...
                                X