Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ankaa:
    ::attempting to revive original thread::
    I assumed the guy at the bar was one of the Powers doing a small intervention. Maybe I missed more than I thought I did, being American.
    Belevie it or not, but this IS the origianl thread. You should see it when we really go off topic.

Comment

off topic??? us????????? NEVER.
      PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
      Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

Originally posted by Kat:
        Belevie it or not, but this IS the origianl thread. You should see it when we really go off topic.
        haha...I'm waiting for an opportunity. with baited breath. did I spell that right? is it baited or bated? baited doesn't make a ton of sense but it might be correct; I've never actually written it out before, just said it...
        I'm crying cuz things aren't how
        they used to be
        she said,
        "The battle's almost won
        and we're only several miles from the sun..."

Comment

Yes, this is on topic whether it's about Powers, wizards being sent to help, or the Doctor just happening to be in the right place to help Dairine. (And it's also been pointed out that the bar was the cantina from Star Wars: A New Hope.)

Oh, and bated breath, from "abated", basically withheld in this context.
          Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

I don't think it is the cantena from New Hope PM. It really dosn't seem like it. For a start all the stuff that Dari sees before she reaches the bar is deffinatly not the cantena and in NH it looks like Luke and Obi-Wan walk streight into the bar.
            Hummm, really not too sure that this actually makes sense.

Comment

thanks, PM.
              for us star wars-impaired, what's a cantina?
              they used to be
              she said,
              "The battle's almost won

Comment

It's the place where Luke first meets Han Solo, if you've seen that. If you haven't, I don't think I can explain it .

It didn't occur to me at first (nor did the mystery stranger being the Doctor), but someone pointed it out, and then it just seemed to fit; the description in High Wizardry does match the way the cantina looks in A New Hope.

Earwen, Dairine also runs straight into the bar, from what I can see. Some of the aliens might resemble some of the extra shots of George Lucas's friends that were added in California later - you know, the reaction shots where they cut away from the main set.
                Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

I saw about 5 minutes of Star Wars, and walked away in disgust when a starship made a whooshing noise as it "flew past the camera" in space. Anyway, it's interesting. I wonder if that was an accident, or was DD implying something? Whenever I think about things like this I am reminded of English class where we find "hidden meanings" in poems that the poet probably didn't intend to be there.
                  they used to be
                  she said,
                  "The battle's almost won

Comment

::gets the song about "pull up straight to the cantina" stuck in head::

after amy tan published the joy luck club, somebody did their doctorate on her book.... and found GADS of symbolism in it. (like the number 4, for example...) tan said that she wished she'd been that smart when she wrote the book.....

vv
                    PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
                    Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

I have watched several of the star was movies- my reading teacher loves them!!!
                      Dai stiho cousins
                      ~~~Ezra

Comment

As a memeber of the STTF I will now:

Save the Topic!

Now other people should post so I don't need to do this again.

Comment

Kat, that was more off-topic than the star wars talk - at least that was a logical progression.

When I read HW the first time through that did occur to me - the Star Wars Cantina thing. Probably because Star Wars was the only remotely science fiction thing that I had seen/read (yes I did read the novels) and I had limited imagination along those lines.

Comment

alla, if someone didn't post soon it was most likly going to be archived so I was saving it. I am a sort of member of the STTF you know. Also, EARWEN! NOT KAT! sorry - but I don't like my username. I am going to get round to having it changed. (but I suppose I can't really talk when it comes to getting people's name right. Not after one my lastest posts...)
                            Besides, there is nothing wrong with going off topic. I was getting surpised that this one had lasted five pages without doing so.

Comment

Y'know, you can bump a thread and remain on -topic at the same time. Just look at how often I've been doing in the movies/tv/books threads.

I've always loved that DD mentions other fan-things in the YW universe, like Dr. Who, and Star Wars ("She says she wants to fight Darth Vader..."), Star Trek ("it's a beam-me-up-Scotty spell"), and anime. Being a fangeekgirl myself, it helps me identify more with what's going on.

What's your favorite fandom thing in the YW books?
                              New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I'm rereading HW, and I have also watched every Star Wars movie at least 5 times, and I highly doubt the bar Dairine goes into is the one in episode IV. It would be interesting, though...I love Star Wars. It is one of the best series I've read. Not the original novels, but the whole series. It's got lots of different authors and styles, and goes much further than the movies. I'm upset, though, that they haven't published anything after (chronologically) the New Jedi Order books.

(Yes I know that last part was really off topic, but I love Star Wars.)
                                Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
                                "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!
                                "If I wasn't smart, I'd be dead."~The Naming, by Alice Croggon

Comment

Working...
                                X