No announcement yet.

A Wizard on/of Mars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

couldn't you just read something from another series while you wait? *runs before i get killed by people throwing daggers at me with their glares*
    I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
    For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Yep. Read somethig else.

Oh forget it. We need DD.
      I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

I've read almost all the interesting books in my library! even a large section of a dictionary! (that started annoying people though, because I started using words ling anthropomorphic, psychoneurotically, phantasmagorical, and a bunch of other long words in my normal language) *Picks up a book from a bookshelf and starts reading* Maybe i can read the whole non-fiction section in my library before the next young wizards book comes out!
        Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubywolf:
          Yep. Read somethig else.

Oh forget it. We need DD.
          You know, DD has done "something else"s that aren't YW. So you can still get a DD fix even if it isn't a YW book. The full list is over here.

The ones you could probably get your hands on easily would include the Star Trek novels (especially the Rihannsu stuff, since all the older novels have just recently been reprinted in a single volume), Stealing the Elf-King's Roses (out-of-print, but probably still findable used), and of course the online/downloadable books: The Big Meow chapters and A Wind From the South.

BTW, repetitious footnote: the Wizcast is going to be revived for WoM material! Squee!
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

i'm really eager to read the new book, but on the "a wizard of mars" page on youngwizards.com it says that "a projected date is spring 2008". 2008!?!? is that true?

Comment

HUH???! Wait a sec. *runs to check for herself*
              AHHHH! It does! Eek !!!! That is far too loooong! Thankfully, it does say that is hasn't been decided. There is still hope.
              i have been to the library so many times since reading the eighth book, looking for something new, but I seriously can't find anything that really gets me. And the ones that do aren't in a series. although, I did like Tithe. kinda wierd , but good.
              i am going to the library again to desperately search for something to read. i have no room for any new books, but I can move some more onto hte piles that gather on my dresser and desk. Also, I have read nearly everything multiple times and the ones I haven't , i read onl;y a month ago. I can think of only one that I haven't read since...October? Yeah, but I remember it all so vividly that it is highly possible it won't be intersting.
              Still, it is worth a shot. I can't remember the title right now or i would mention it...I know the first one (or two. in my book theyre kinda combined to make it longer) is (are) Witch and Wicked. Or is it Wicked and Curse? Oh well, it is something like that.
              "You're so funny. Sometimes, I wish I was a little elf, so I could ride around on your shoulder all day and laugh at you." - my mom. (Yes, she honestly told me that. *rolls eyes*)

Comment

Suck it up, guys. You'll survive. [You know what's coming next. Duck, oldbies.] I've been waiting for DD to finish writing the fourth Door Book since 1992. For a series she started in 1979. Heck, I waited eight years for Wizard's Dilemma! This book-a-year thing is atypical. It's not the way things normally work. Get used to it. Or start reading Nora Roberts, so you can get three a year.

There are other things out there to be read. A lot of them written by DD. Take a look at her bibliography. Just tracking down the novels on that list, let alone the short stories, comics, and television episodes would keep you busy for a long time. Go find Stealing the Elf-King's Roses or Wounded Sky. Go find the feline wizard books.

There's also the Books thread in Chatter II, which has lots and lots of reading recommendations in it. Admittedly, none of them are YW, but some of them are pretty dang good and worth your time. Myself, I'm taking some time to read Burrough's John Carter of Mars series. I may even go find H.G. Wells's War of the Worlds.

If the additional delay means that DD gets to take a vacation or to work on a SYWTBAW movie, is it really a bad thing?
                New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

You could also try out LibraryThing.com for recommendations -- you enter your library and it comes back with books that other people with tastes similar to yours read. I think it works very well and is well-tailored for individuals, though under-13s need parental permission to use it.

Without making an account and entering all your books, you can visit Suggestions for So you want to be a wizard by Diane Duane. It comes back with a large number of books and authors that people who like her writing also tend to enjoy... (The unSuggestions include a book on apartheid in South Africa(!), a fictional book on Nazis and Jews, and Knowing God by J.I. Packer... *is amused*)

Comment

Ok, so, How many of u poeple think that there will be a cupple between the following:???
                    Nita/Sker'ret
                    Dairine/Roshaun
                    'Mella/Ronan
                    Need help with homework, E-Mail me @ elizabeth1ofengland@yahoo.com I am ALWAYS bored!! Or, if u want a brief lesson on Tudor era Monarchy.

Comment

It's Kit and his Princess of Mars I really want to know about!! I was just guessing when I threw out the word "morganatic" into the chat, but then DD confirmed that the word could apply to the situation in WoM.

Comment

*is not entirely certain i like the fact that i seem to only come accross that particular word when it's applied to mariages* that would REALLY mess up nita and kit...
                        For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

I really don't care how long I have to wait for it. But when it does come out I'm gonna get it! I'm willing to wait for such a good book.
                          "Dear Artificer, I've blown my quanta and gone to the Good Place!" -Fred
                          "Bombs are good. I love bombs." -Iggy from Maximum Ride

Comment

Or that the word 'morganatic' literally means 'morning after gift.' Is that why the book isn't published yet? Censorship issues? (I'm joking)

But seriously, I wonder what the hold up is/was. DD has already handed in the MS, right? So the newest delay is on the publisher's side.

Comment

I'm willing to wait as long as necessary for the new book...though i might get a bit frustrated if i have to wait for a library to get it, AND make it requestable, AND they take forever doing so...but here's too hoping that isn't the case.

Comment

Space Cadet: the hold up is that turning in a manuscript is only the beginning of the publishing process. The manuscript has to be edited, may need to be rewritten, copy-edited, typeset, printed, checked, corrected, bound, promoted (ads, ARCs to get pull-quotes, etc.), and distributed.

DD is intimately involved in the editing/rewriting portions, and that can take more than one round. And whether or not DD has time free in her schedule to do that is also up in the air (given movie project, star trek novels, the Big Meow, etc.) It was something like a year from the time she turned in the manuscript of The Empty Chair until it was published just last December. And then there are the Life Happens delays, like when the luggage cart accident happened and DD's ankle was injured, and Wizards at War was delayed.

On top of that, there's also a possibility of trying to schedule the book's release for maximum effect. Like with the movies, where everybody tries to jockey their movie to not come out against a really similar release that's likely to be bigger and eat up the customer base. Releasing WoM, say, the same week that Harry Potter 7 comes out is probably not a good idea: it would get lost in all the furor.

Then, if they want to further promote the book with, say, a signing tour, then it's also a matter of scheduling when DD has a spare month or two to roam about the world signing books for folks.

DD has mentioned in chat that she'd also like to take a vacation sometime. [grin] And that may also push the books out of the "expected" timeframe.

yr: errr...why are your posts always shorter than your sig?

Comment

Working...
                                X