No announcement yet.

A Wizard on/of Mars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have any particular comments about this thread, but I am looking forward to reading this book. I do firmly believe that someday we will reach Mars and I'm excited about the fact that there's a chance again of it happening in my lifetime. In the meantime, we send robots. I'm hoping that at least one of the various landers that the US and the Soviet Union sent to Mars will be visited. I'm hopeful, since Viking 2 landed on Utopia Plantia ("perfect plain") and is still there even though it ceased functioning years ago.

I'm sure that someday, I'll look back on this book and think "Wow, so that's what we thought Mars would be like. We know it's not like that now!" like we do with early 50s SF novels about going to the Moon. Or, maybe there'll be more of "We were pretty close!" since we've sent spacecraft ahead of us.

And, I'm interested in learning how Viking 2 has fared after sitting there all these years... (and how the guess will compare to whatever is really found when we actually get there).
    -----
    Jennifer (i am a soviet space shuttle)
    "He's a pinball wizard, there has to be a twist; a pinball wizard's got such a supple wrist..." -- Elton John, Pinball Wizard

Comment

Hey,
      I totally agree with you about Dairine trying to find Roshaun. I am anxious to know what the sentance in the Speech says. The one that connects her necklace. The book says that it made her cry. I really want to know what it says. I do hope that DD, doesn't kill of Roshaun, like Gigo thinks, however, it's always a possibility. I think that your right about Roshaun playing a major role in the book, but I think that the main theme in that scenario would be that Dairine changes a lot during her journey to find Roshaun. I'm also curious to see where Ronan fits in if at all. Because he never left Nita's house. What are your thoughts on that?
      -spear_of_light_100

Comment

I am not on the book yet (wizard alone is the one I am on)so I have not a clur what the heak you guys are talking about soo...

Comment

Slash-chan, it's not out yet.Wizards of Mars isn't. Man do I wish it was though... >_>

I'm glad this book will be mainly based around Neets and Kit. Though I enjoyed the alien wizards, Carmela's antics, and Dairine, I really really missed the story revolving around the two of them, like it did earlier on. At times in W@W I would flip ahead to see when Nita came back into the plot, and I hope that doing such a thing won't be necassary this time.

I think Ronan will be the next book. Dunno if he'll have a large part or not, but I'm sure he'll be IN it, as will an angsty Dairine. I'm sure if she goes on a big "search" for Roshaun, it won't be some huge adventure and rather a sort of side-story. At least that's what I'd like to hope...

Comment

I definetley Nita is either going to be offeredor have a chance at becoming a higher state of being. Maybe a lesser power. The mobiles will probably help Dairine look for Roshaun, he is probably fused with the earth sun.

Comment

While Peter Murray has just recently generically pointed people in the direction of the Errantry Concordance, I thought that those who do not check it regularly might appreciate being apprised of some of the highly tantalizing AWOM tidbits that have appeared there recently.

A search on "AWOM" (linked here) pulls up all of them (and anything else that will be added later, given that DD always references specific books, as warranted, in initialese). However, I shall point out three entries of particular interest: Mamvish, who has the most extensive strictly AWOM entry and has been mentioned elsewhere on the forums; the Simurgh (although DD's still leaving us hanging concerning exhalations); and finally (and perhaps most peculiar and tantalizing of all) Helena Rodriguez.

The fact that both Fang and T!h!ki have references to AWOM also strikes me as unusual&mdash;I wonder whether they get more than cameos. If so, will we just see them in the 'back on Earth' portions, or do they get to travel to Mars as well? (Very mild WAW spoiler: <span class="ev_code_WHITE">As we've seen in WAW, there are no real logistical barriers to this,</span> though why their particular expertise would be required is not at all clear to me from the YW.com blurb.)

Edited to fix a few minor typos.

...and edited again even later to fix a few more.
              Omnia disce, videbis postea nihil esse superfluum.

Comment

Either I've missed that blurb or it's changed since I last read it, because oh my does that sound exciting. *makes squeaking noises*

I love that Nita and Kit talk their way onto an "elite" team dealing with what must surely be a very in-demand mission (I mean, who doesn't want to find out about the Martians?) I look forward to seeing lots of adult expert wizards; group wizardries are always some of my favourite bits. I'm also starting to think that Kit's curiosity is getting the better of him a little; maybe he picked up something of Ponch's penchant for exploration, because it already got him into trouble in Alone and it looks set to do the same thing in Mars.

And if she does, she risks becoming far less than human. Or far more...
                All together, everyone: those who serve the Powers... Ahem.
                Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I wonder if the enemy Nita will be facing is not a person, but a situation or an emotion . . .

Comment

<span class="ev_code_RED">WARNING: SPOILER AHEAD!!</span>

M:
                    <span class="ev_code_WHITE">You think that's 'cause she was becoming the manual in WAW? More than the Irish I mean. Gonna get weird.... yea</span>
                    ...that would make more sense. Er, Nita, I mean. I don't think I ever fully grasped W@W. ...but your concept however, really wouldn't, <span class="ev_code_WHITE">because that would have to include Dairine, wouldn't it? In the third, I believe, she becomes part manual, so it wouldn't make sense to have Nita go through that and not Dairine.</span>

As with forbidden_snowflake, the whole Roshaun ordeal...I was crying. I really want to know what is going to happen with him! What does the necklace say! What about Tyuet and Ngyuet!What does
                    ...if she does, she risks becoming far less than human. Or far more...
                    AHH! WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!!
                    All that comes to mind is Nita in a Superman outfit. *snicker*

Ahh, well, we'll just have to wait and see, won't we.

2007? I can wait. I'm already waiting for The Wild Chicks by Cornelia Funke to be translated, I'm waiting for Inkheart, the movie to come out....I can do it.
                    ...but it shan't be easy...duhn duhn DUHHNNNN!

XD I'm such a dork
                    just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

<span class="ev_code_RED">SPOILER!!...I think</span>

Just saying, what if for some reason Roshaun is the person she has to face? Not cause he's evil but cause of something the lone power did.

Comment

Here's another possible AWOM hint, this time from Out of Ambit (well, actually Word Salad II, its significantly more interactive LiveJournal mirror): While setting forth "Life Lessons DD Has Learned and Holds Nothing Back in Sharing"*, she mentions "Never get into a land war in Chryse Planita" [link original].

While this is amusing enough as it is, I can't help but wonder whether this is a reference to an occurrence in AWOM (perhaps even something whose inclusion either she or her editors have come to regret). Alternatively, it could have nothing (at least directly) to do with AWOM and be a reference to a famous ill-advised battle in one of the many, many other works of fiction set on Mars&mdash;there might even be some slight connexion with AWOM, particularly if it is from one of Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom novels, for, as was mentioned in the link I gave on the first page of this thread&dagger;, and has since been elaborated upon on Word Salad II, there will be plenty of reference to these in AWOM. (I am far from au fait in this oeuvre, so I leave it to those more knowledgeable to speculate further.) Or one could make a completely different interpretation and take this to be a reference to the US/Soviet Union race for Mars, as suggested by Buran.

* To find out why she's doing this, you'll just have to read the entire post...

&dagger; As I said before, "Some scrolling will be required, as the pertinent bits are in the comments section near the bottom of the page."

Edited to fix footnote symbols and various other infelicities.

Edited again to fix further infelicities that I missed the first time.
                        Omnia disce, videbis postea nihil esse superfluum.

Comment

Nita will definitly ahve to do something...I like the idea that one who serves the powers...I have also always thought that there is something slightly out of the ordinary in nita I may be wrong but thats what I think anyway!
                          Nita ,Dairine, kit and ponch were already getting afmous due to all they have down... but you know that fact that they saved the universe and found the "bright" lone power ( who is suspect that we will run into at some point)means they are pretty amazing. hint possibly?
                          I reckon that the roshaun thing will be saved for later, maybe book 10 or 11..sadly.And as to when AWoM is released it isn't even listed on amazon yet so your guess is as good as mine!
                          Time has a heart because other hearts stop....

Comment

That's an interesting idea Fred. Hmmm. she does stand out though. i mean, in WAW, she was the only one the magic(it had a sepcific name i can't remember) only "talked" to her, right? could be a hint to her being a bit more than every one else...
                            "You're so funny. Sometimes, I wish I was a little elf, so I could ride around on your shoulder all day and laugh at you." - my mom. (Yes, she honestly told me that. *rolls eyes*)

Comment

I really don't want her to delay Roshaun's story.. >.>

Nita has to have some untapped power in her. I think her power level has been going up through the books, and DD said it was intentional, plus the Peridexis only talking to her. Plus she's the main character. Of course she's going to do something big

Comment

I really can't wait to hear what happens to roshan, but i also don't want to have it all unfold at once. i dunno. I just want to know what was on that necklace!!!

I don't think I want nita to become a lower power. I don't lke the implications and consequences that line of thought could tae. in any case, it looks like AWOM it's going to be instrumental in the YW plots.
                                "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

...and eyes, sweet as honey, soft as moss, that hold in their black vessels the bitterness of old wounds and the tired peace of growing wisdom.

Comment

Working...
                                X