A Wizard on/of Mars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Wizard on/of Mars

In the chat, I asked DD about what was coming next after Wizards at War and she said that ideas were coalescing for a Mars story, tentatively called (I think) A Wizard on Mars. (or maybe it was of Mars. I can't remember).

Anybody wanna place bets on which Wizard? I think the two most likely candidates are Kit (given the map with the pins in) or Dairine. But maybe DD's thinking of something else... any ideas?
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

I'm thinking Ponch because his character doesn't seem to be fully developed yet. If DD doesn't describe his purpose in the series soon, the suspense will kill me. It's a good storyline though, Ponch on Mars. Picture the Opportunity rover. All of a sudden, Ponch walks in front of the camera and licks it. Now THAT would be interesting.

Comment

Well, I was going to say either Nita and Kit OR Dairine, and point out the we've had the singular previosuly referring to both Nita and Kit together. But, uhm, then I realised that we hadn't, except for SYWTBAW, and there it's pretty ambiguous because it's phrased as a question. So, uhm, I won't make thatpoint. However, ebcause the series is generally told from Nita's point of view, I'll still suggest, given Nita and Kit's references to an ongoing Mars project, that it be Nita, and Kit's there too.

As for Ponch- it's actually quite a cool idea, except I wouldn't personally count Ponch as a wizard...

It it's a wizard of Mars, it's probably the person Nita refers to in the excerpt. Actually, that's maybe the most likely one... we really need those chat logs. Do you think it's time to prod with courtesy? Or not?
      Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Wizard's Holiday was singular - admittedly, it's a variation on the phrase "busman's holiday" - but had both Nita and Kit. Also Dairine's guests... five wizards on holiday.

Perhaps A Wizard Abroad was only meant to be Nita, but Kit and Dairine turned up anyway. I think they'll all be there for at least part of the book. (Though it could be the Martian Wizard Tui mentions.)

Hmm. Wizard. <span class="ev_code_BLUE">[checks bookcase]</span> No, Princess, Maid, Chessmen (huh?), Mastermind etc... no Wizards yet. Shouldn't be too confusing, unless Kit gets confused and they wind up in the universe he built early on in Dilemma.
        Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

It looks like the tentative title is indeed A Wizard of Mars, as a judicious Google search (on ' "Wizard of Mars" Duane ', in case you're interested) turns up this (some scrolling will be required, as the pertinent bits are in the comments section near the bottom of the page) and a search on "Wizard on Mars" turns up only one page which does not appear to be YW-related at all. (It does look as if there is a movie called The Wizard of Mars, though, which may necessitate a change DD's final title, as the difference between a definite and an indefinite article is probably not going to be deemed sufficient to differentiate between the two works.)

Nathan
          Omnia disce, videbis postea nihil esse superfluum.

Comment

YAY its official, AWoM is the title, all hail mighty DD, may her books never end, and Movies come sooner
            I really only did this for my 10th post, making me a full Member here on the site, YAHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOO!!!! also, everyone needs to see the bunny

(\__/)
            (+'.'+) This is Bunny. show his image
            (")_(") to help him conquer the world.
            in other words, feel free to copy and paste everywhere, ALL HAIL BUNNY!!

"I reject you reality and substitute my own"-Adam Savage

"Absurdity is the spice of life, the little things that always make the one being absurd laugh, and no one else"-me, seriously

"the one who lives in darkness has the least trouble finding the light" Monday's Dusk, from Mister Monday, book 1 of the Keys to the Kingdom series, by Garth Nix
            "Absurdity is the spice of life, the little things that always make the one being absurd laugh, and no one else"-me, being serious
            Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set him alight and he's warm for the rest of his life ~ Jingo, by Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yes it is A Wizard of Mars.
              I need 9 more posts. I wanted to do the chat today but didn't get the comfirmation e-mail in time to R.S.V.P.
              ...._~*Castine*~_....
              "All who wander are not lost."
              "Music gives life to the universe!"
              You laugh at me cause I'm different, I laugh at you cause you're all the same.
              I'm not crazy, I'm gifted.
              You think I'm wierd? good! I am

Comment

A wizard on mars will probably be about Dairine since mars was where Dairine went on her ordeal. If not it should be, DD neads to write more about her.
                (\__/) "Be amazing"
                (+'.'+)
                (")_(")

Comment

Have you seen the description of AWOM on the YW com site? Dairine doesn't even get mentioned in the summary, and comments in DD's chats suggest she doesn't have a big part to play in this book.

Comment

yeah but in the chat log, which I read, thanks PM, i noted several significant SPOILERS, which I sure anyone can go find out if they have the link and want to. and Mike, Dairine stopped on mars on her way out system, and she did start there with that bathroom, but she did NOT have her ordeal on Mars

(\__/)
                    (+'.'+) This is Bunny. show his image
                    (")_(") to help him conquer the world.
                    in other words, feel free to copy and paste everywhere, ALL HAIL BUNNY!!

"I reject you reality and substitute my own"-Adam Savage

"Absurdity is the spice of life, the little things that always make the one being absurd laugh, and no one else"-me, seriously

"the one who lives in darkness has the least trouble finding the light" Monday's Dusk, from Mister Monday, book 1 of the Keys to the Kingdom series, by Garth Nix
                    "Absurdity is the spice of life, the little things that always make the one being absurd laugh, and no one else"-me, being serious
                    Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set him alight and he's warm for the rest of his life ~ Jingo, by Terry Pratchett

Comment

<span class="ev_code_RED">WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD</span>

" Nita finds herself facing a completely unexpected enemy that she can't conquer without giving up everything that matters to her. And if she does, she risks becoming far less than human. Or far more..." You think that's <span class="ev_code_white">'cause she was becoming the manual in WAW? More than the Irish I mean. Gonna get weird.... yea</span>

Adding spoiler protection, even if this book is after WAW - Peter
                      *Agent~M*
                      "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                      "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                      "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                      "I could live

Comment

it's a Wizard OF Mars, not On.
                        Nita, in my opinion, is the major character (not to say others aren't, but her and Kit more than the rest). So to have another book focused on Diarine would be wrong. And bookwyrm poet is right. Diarine didn't have her ordeal on mars, it was just on her way out.

_*~Castine~*_
                        ...._~*Castine*~_....
                        "All who wander are not lost."
                        "Music gives life to the universe!"
                        You laugh at me cause I'm different, I laugh at you cause you're all the same.
                        I'm not crazy, I'm gifted.
                        You think I'm wierd? good! I am

Comment

I don't think I agree that having another book centering on Dairine and her quest would be "wrong", any more than then focus on Kit in A Wizard Alone, the Dairine-and-Dad half of Wizard's Holiday, or Dairine's Ordeal in High Wizardry were "wrong." Personally, my opinion is that whatever DD wants to write is right, and whatever she decides is YW-appropriate goes.

From what she's let drop in chat, I'm actually guessing that there will be slightly more focus on Kit for WoM, given that he's the one who's been visiting the planet, sticking pins into maps, and (spoiler) [<span class="ev_code_WHITE">is the one who's going to get a princess of Mars (giggle. snort.) as a girlfriend...</span>].
                          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Does anyone know what DD was saying about the Wizards she left while doing the "Fan Fiction" podcast? I can't tell what she said, and it sounded very important. herm. It sounded like "As for me, back to work. I left a bunch of wizrds digging up...utopia (something)on Mars, and what the heck am I doing worrying about what they're up to at this hour?"

I'm intrigued...
                            PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
                            Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

She said "Utopia Planitia" which I used to think was a name from Star Trek - I believe the shipbuilding facilities in Star Trek: The Next Generation were there (or in orbit above it).

However, it seems to be quite real. Presumably this ties in with the YW com page, which to me sounds like a wizardly archaeological expedition.

Comment

Working...
                              X