Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't know him as well as I could have. I haven't been around here lately either... But this is still hard... Especially since we all knew him so well as a whole family sort of... It's impossible to not grieve along with everyone else. But even so...with spilt tears comes new smiles. With shared grief comes fond memories.

Lie in peace, Peter. Till we meet again.
    Reality is for those who lack imagination.

Comment

I am so sorry and so shattered. Even though I haven't been around much or talked to him lately I know how much he will be missed around here. And I really, I am grieving that he has gone. I don't know if that's the right word, grieving. Is it okay to grieve for someone you didn't really know? But I am deeply sad.

We will miss you, Peter. And thanks for the talking.
      Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I'm just in shock. I didn't, couldn't believe it when I first heard.

Rest in peace, Peter Murray. Thank you.

Comment

Well...you know...I don't know what to say. It's so weird...it's like I expect him to pop into chat right now where we're all reminiscing, but you know...he won't...I guess it's shock. This is a time when I wish I could come up with something poignant and meaningful off the top of my head, but I guess that won't be happening tonight.

We'll miss you PM; I know I'll miss your puns. See you in Timeheart

Comment

it's hard to believe that someone you've known around here for 5 years or more is gone.

i'll miss seeing you around peter.

Dai Stiho cousin.
            we'll see you in Timeheart

rest in peace.
            ---------------------------------------
            YW Chat room link. http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/ Type in nickname and #youngwizards for channel.
            "in remembrance of Peter Murray,5/16/06,dai stiho

Comment

I have thought about what to say for hours now, and I really can't come up with much....

the ebst I could come up with was, Dai stiho cousin. And we'll see you in Timeheart, where all who were ever loved live on...
              I mean, I barely go in chat and the few times I was he was, like, always there...I remember this one time I came in and he was the only one in there...he was laughing cause I don't know much of anything about animae and we were talking about the difference in weather...I went to my class smiling for once...
              And it just seems so unreal...I can't imagine chat without him in there, the orange head among all the green...

enjoy yourself in Timeheart, and when we all end up there, our chats can resume as they were before this event...*goes off to cry*
              "You're so funny. Sometimes, I wish I was a little elf, so I could ride around on your shoulder all day and laugh at you." - my mom. (Yes, she honestly told me that. *rolls eyes*)

Comment

I just dont know PM was just such an awsome person and I just cant belive that he..... I loved him as did we all. He helped me too. I dont know. *goes to cry in room*
                The Answer to life the universe and everything: CREW 42!!!!!!!!
                DON'T PANIC!!!!! *two seconds later once the plan does not work* OK PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                I have a spelling problem. SYWTBAW

Comment

I've been crying for I don't know how long now and all I can say is PM, Orange Head (people would get really annoyed when I called him that XD), we'll all miss you.
                  You were freaking awesome!!!!!
                  always random . and was always nice to me,even when I annoyed the freak out of everybody else. and whenever I had a question no one else would answer, he always did. I never really got many of his jokes, and when I didn't, he took time to explain them to me. I was always the laugh one to laugh and he didn't mind XD.
                  I just can't believe he's gone now. it seems so unreal. I keep thinking that the next time I go to chat, he'll be there. but he won't. he's gone and that hurts. he'll never ever answer another one of my questions. he'll never tell one of those funny jokes I never get 'till the last minute. he'll never be there.
                  I can't cry anymore tears. I'm all cried out. no, I'm all cried out of sad tears. now, I'll cry happy tears. I'll cry happy tears because I know where he is and that he's safe and in the best hands possible. never will pain ever come to him again and I thank God for that.
                  that doesn't mean I won't miss him. I'll miss him and I'll remember him. and so will the rest of us. and that's whats so great. because only those things rembered and loved can go to Timeheart, so by all of us remebering him and loving him as we knew him, we can ensure him a place in Timeheart, or Heaven, or whatever else good place there is for those of you woth other religions.
                  *goes to cry happy tears now.*
                  lol. this smiley thing makes me think of PM:
                  we loved you Peter Murray. You were the greatest!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well, crap...

I had no idea PM was in hospital for anything serious; I checked in this evening and bam! The world turn'd upside down.

Go well, Peter; you will be fondly remembered, and we'll catch up with you in Timeheart.

Blessed be.
                    "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                    "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

and here's my poem:

Watchful Eye (Peter Murray)

He was always there
                      Always watching over us
                      The immature kids of Chat
                      He acted like a father
                      Making sure we knew the ropes
                      though he'd laugh with us
                      And he was quick to joke
                      Always looking out for the newer folk
                      When he said he'd be gone for a bit
                      I never thought it would be so long
                      Who ever thought that
                      A "bit" could become Forever
                      He was everyone's friend
                      We knew we could count on him
                      Suddenly this can be no more
                      The cold flows slow and clings
                      Washing all feeling from the body
                      Too shocked to cry
                      But not for long
                      Nothing left to do
                      But give a tearful goodbye
                      To a mentor, a leader, a friend
                      Nothing you can do but mourn his sudden end
                      And then go on living
                      Do so in the memory of the ever present watchful eye
                      And know he's still watching
                      But now it's from the sky.....
                      -----------
                      "CHOCOLATE in heaven is hearing my CHILDREN'S LAUGHTER"
                      ~~ My mother. May 24, 1965- July 6, 2006

Comment

Oh My God....Peter...

I remember my first time in chat. I was so confused and I didn't know anyone, but Peter was always so nice and tried to explain things as best he could, and he always answered questions and came up with good and corny jokes. Pun Master indeed.

May God Bless him in his journey upwards...

I just never thought....but then, I suppose one never does think that things will happen. It's just...I don't know, I just hope he's at peace, now.
                        just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis Wolfang:
                          I never got to say goodbye... I didn't know... I haven't been coming here as often as I used to... PM... *hugs everyone*

Look at it this way, we'll all see you eventually, huh? *forces a smile*
                          I will quote Artemis because I, too, also haven't been on here as much as I probably should have been (I've been overloaded with university, etc).

RIP, PM.

Comment

GS inspired me to make a poem also, and though mine's not as good as her's I still think it should be heard.

Death's dance is a dance that pains us to watch, but we must so that those it dances for may be remembered.
                            it dances ,always wanting attention, from brisk january through every cold december.
                            Though death has cruel intentions,
                            and uses terrible inventions,
                            we'll watch it's litle dance trample our loved one's souls,
                            but knowing in our hearts that the path those trampled travels is gold.

just thought I'd post it. Thanks GS.

Comment

This is a sad day indeed—Peter was a most salutary influence upon the forums and his absence over the past few weeks has already made itself felt.

For a few personal reminiscences, I always found him to be a charming (often witty), thoughtful, and endlessly well-informed interlocutor on matters YW and otherwise, in addition to being a helpful moderator (with unlocking topics and suchlike). Indeed, he is one of the few people whose posts I would always make sure to read, regardless of topic, as well as one of the members with whom I have had the most fruitful, enjoyable, and memorable discussions on the forums—he made my time on the forums, as well, I'm sure, as that of many other members, far more fulfilling than it would have been in his absence.

In addition to his contributions that Kathy mentioned above, he was also active on the Errantry Concordance—I have particularly fond memories of a discussion of McKillip's Stricture he, Emiwai, and I had a little under a year ago on A. R. Davidson's talk page (unfortunately, eve won't let me link directly to the talk page), but he made many other contributions (listed here), including maintaining a nice user page—and was one of the three people whose questions DD answered on the first (and so far only) Q&A Wizcast.

His dedication as a moderator was evidenced by his tireless editing and moving of posts to improve the forums' look and tone, along with his exceedingly helpful transcripts of DD's chats (particularly for those of us who, like me, don't 'do' chat, or even just weren't able to make it to a particular one). And while he did much overtly for the good of the forums, the implicit example set by his posts themselves (as well as perhaps his nudging of other members in chat to 'post something useful/interesting' that I've seen mention of) may have been even more important, and was in evidence throughout his time on the forums, not just after he became a moderator.

His playful side is well illustrated by the large contingent of YW paper dolls he created (visible here; though eve is currently claiming that DD did most of them, even though the majority of them are Peter's), along with his jokes (mostly from soon after he became a moderator) about just how easy it would be for him to delete the Topic of Great Randomness. Edit: And how could I forget his ever-changing, often topical avatars! All of them, except the very latest ones, are archived here.

Finally, I must express my profound regret that I didn't get to thank him for posing one of my questions (that had come up here) to DD in a chat, and then reporting the answer back to that thread. I was going to include my thanks in a post that I haven't quite gathered all the information to write at present, but now am reduced to doing so posthumously. (Fortunately for my conscience, I did get to thank him for his chat transcripts some time ago.) This small act is emblematic of his generosity and general good nature in his roles both as a moderator and forum member-at-large.

Requiem aeternam dona eis, ... et lux perpetua luceat eis.

Selig sind, die da Leid tragen, denn sie sollen getröstet werden.

P.S.: For those who haven't noticed, DD has posted a touching remembrance on Out of Ambit (permalink to its appearance on Word Salad II here, where someone has linked to some non-YW reminiscences of him here). Edit: There are further non-YW reminiscences at the Callahanian Community's Journal here.

Edited to add the comment about Peter's avatars.

Edited yet again to add the mention of the Callahanian reminiscences.
                              Omnia disce, videbis postea nihil esse superfluum.

Comment

I haven't been coming to check here regularly for awhile now, and now I really regret it...I got an email from Tui today, letting me know the news, and I couldn't believe it. I've been a member here for a really long time, and I've known PM for most if not all of that time (and yes, I fully believe that talking to someone who you know is real online that much is knowing them).

I guess all I can do is echo what I've read in these posts already...Peter, you were an incredible person, we will miss you so much and we can't wait to see you in Timeheart.
                                *Ella*
                                "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
                                There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
                                And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
                                What could mean more than this?"
                                --Bright Eyes

Comment

Working...
                                X