No announcement yet.

Is Wizardry Real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just thought of a question that's been in my mind for the past few days....
    Why is it that we CAN affect everything else just as wizardry does? I mean I've always wondered why is it that we as people can actually affect so many different things in the world. It makes me wonder about what we as people can help If that makes any since.
    Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

The answer will never appear 2 an1 who sits and waits 4 it 2 appear. Let life go, not having a few unanswered questions stop u. Just keep going! And maybe 1day, The Powers That Be will except u 2 be something extraordinarily great. Because remember, the lion is the strongest, toughest and smartest, but the mouse can have its own talents!
      2 Believerinwizardry:
      dude, my parents r da same! But my bro keeps making fun of me all da time! I told my friends what i thought about it, and creepily, they thought i was right! i think i feel bettr when peeps think i am crazy then when im right, right? well anyways, my friends 4got but still i remember, so evrythings cool! /=0
      Last edited by chocolate101; April 11, 2009, 04:07:42 PM.
      (True,) the white hole said. (my name is Khairelikoblepharehglukumeilichephreidosd'enagooun i--) and at the same time he went flickering through a pattern of colors that was evidently the visual translation."Ky--elik" Nita began. "Fred," Kit said quickly.

Comment

Hey chocolate101!! Wait, you HAVE to merge your post honey otherwise you could get in trouble. Edit your posts k honey. And thanks for posting too. I hope you have a great time on the forum.
        Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

Yeah, this forum is very against double posting. See, every post includes your signature and stuff, and since Diane herself pays for this forum, we have to keep down the bandwidth when possible. Thanks!
          "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

Hey I talk 2 music vibrations and waves! Kinda da same right? and in how do I merge posts?! (I don't wanna get in trouble!)
            ----
            I deleted da quote is day good?!
            Last edited by Kathy Li; April 11, 2009, 04:12:14 PM. Reason: merged double-post.
            (True,) the white hole said. (my name is Khairelikoblepharehglukumeilichephreidosd'enagooun i--) and at the same time he went flickering through a pattern of colors that was evidently the visual translation."Ky--elik" Nita began. "Fred," Kit said quickly.

Comment

Instead of adding another post, you can edit your first one and add more text. If you accidentally double-post, you can cut and paste your second post into the text of your first one, and then delete the second post. It's easier for us admins--we just set a bunch of checkboxes and click the "merge" button.

Sigs are ok, but we like to limit them to 3 lines of text, no graphics. The FAQs (the link's in the navbar) basically lay out most of the rules for this board.
              New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

You talk to music vibrations and waves! That's really cool. I'm more of a wind listener and talker, and sometimes the occasional tree or two. I also love fire, and water is fun to trace Nice to meet you chocolate!

Comment

Originally posted by XLaurenX View Post
                  Ever since I read the Harry Potter series I immidiatly became obsessed. Soon the Young Wizard series sucked me in. Every night I prayed and wished that it would be true,and that one day I could be a Harry Potter or a Nita Callahan. I can't discuss this issue with my friends,they'd laugh at me. Or else they would say something like,'Lauren! Your 12 years old! Get out of your fantasy life and snap back into reality!' My parent's would probably scoff or give me a one-sentence explanation if I asked if wizardry was real.
                  Since the past week or so I've been reading the Oath in So You Want To Be A Wizard every night right before I go to bed. Later,of course,I felt foolish. I'm almost a teenager,afterall. Soon a dragged my parents into second-hand bookstores or Barnes and Nobles,always trying to find a Manual. Heck,I still do. I try to get them into a bookstore every weekend. Of course,I doubted I would find one. But I'm desperate,you know. The way Diane writes,its as if she WAS Nita,and used a different name instead of Diane simply because she didn't want to make the truth that obvious. I would,without a doubt, do ANYTHING to be a wizard. Im obsessed.
                  I need to know the answer. If Diane Duane could just come and give me a simple 'Yes' or 'No' Id stop bothering people and wishing it was. So please,is wizardry real?

If you have something to say to me without telling to whole world you can email me at o0laurensworld0o@yahoo.com

Thanks,
                  Lauren
                  I wouldn't be at all ashamed of reciting the Oath aloud! I have done it a few times myself (and I am well into my 30s!)

There is something in Diane Duane's writing which resonates deeply within my soul. A "deep" truth that just feels right. A big reason for this feeling, I think, is that the author has spent countless hours making rules for wizards to follow...a science for the magic. Nothing comes easy to our heroes, and all too often, victory comes with a terrible price. For every moment of wonder at being able to master spells and magic, there are moments of terror when loved ones fall to the overwhelming power of the Lone Power.

My father especially did not like me reading fantasy novels when I was a teen. He was deeply paranoid that these works were satanic, and thought my soul was at risk. I laugh now, because, especially with Diane Duane's books...and others...the moral philosophy put forth in these books has shaped my values (positively!) far more than anyone, even myself, could have guessed. The true magic of these books and others like them, is that they will open your mind, free you from prejudice, and spark a hunger for learning that will serve you well throughout your life...even if you never do manage a temporospatial claudication!

I still hope that somewhere, somewhen, in some alternate universe, Kit and Nita are hard at work, fighting the good fight. That somewhere out there, beyond my meager ability to perceive, there ARE wizards and Powers, and all the rest.

If nothing else, there is always Timeheart...what is loved, LIVES!

Comment

This is actuallly a complex issue about individual perspective. We don't affect things, we create them as we see them and as they are. What you believe firmly with all your heart, is what is.

Which chair is REAL, whe chair in your mind, or the chair you're sitting in?

You know the answer. What you see in your mind is a chair, is truly a chair, call what you're sitting in what ever you want.

If you believe you're changing soething, you're changing it for you. and it works. Here, we call it wizardry, soe call it the highest levels and secrets of kungfu and many different things. If I call my cat (I have none, but still) my familiar, then for me, he is.

I believe that we each live in our own little world, and sometimes our world overlap, but usually they remain spearate, in the grand scheme of this earth. Within your world, you are reality. You are the answer key. You know what is true.

In your terms, I believe in magic, but you can call it anything you want. It is actually the way of the universe. When I was about five, I was afraid of vision tests, because I didn't want ThEm to make me wear glasses that would change the way I see the world. that's crazy now, but I had the theory right.

Change what you want to change, live how you wnat to live, be what you want to be, and make anything that stands in your way follow your doctirne. Say in your mind what it is state it authoritatively. And change it.

that is life. That's how I live, and that's why I'm here, and why I love life.

If you see a seed you plant as a beautiful, large, tall, strong plant, with gorgeous blooms, that is what it shall be. (and , in the case of a plant, you must tell it so, everyday.

you get the idea.
                    The Promised Land is a State of Being. - Me

Comment

No, but it could have been. all laws of physics etc, are possible but not absolute, if things in the beginning had been different.
                      There is always a price, but who pays it is optional.

Comment

You see. It's like the saying your world is as big as you make it.
                        There are many many things that society has yet to explain, these little miracles can be called magic. I think wizardry and magic are to different things. Wizardry is using magic. Magic is just magic. Therefore magic from a perspective is real. But the use of magic which is wizardry is debateable.
                        It is better to die on your feat then to live a life on your knees-Emiliano Zapata.
                        That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.-dad

Comment

Magic

What do they say in the Star Trek universe. Magic is one persons mumbo jumbo, an other's science and a third persons religion, of course magic is real in one way or another.

It is also true that technology sufficiently advanced will look like magic. If you don't believe me, just research the first contacts of amazon Indian tribes in the last century.

Comment

Originally posted by rick455 View Post
                            What do they say in the Star Trek universe. Magic is one persons mumbo jumbo, an other's science and a third persons religion, of course magic is real in one way or another.

It is also true that technology sufficiently advanced will look like magic. If you don't believe me, just research the first contacts of amazon Indian tribes in the last century.
                            I was about to say something similar, though it has nothing to do with star trek. I would like to add that some people's skills might seem "magical," especially when it comes to getting living things to do what is asked of it. Some people can get almost any cat to do anything while someone else may not be able to get even the most well trained dog to sit. Mostly it's being aware of your surroundings and knowing how to communicate with something. As easy as it looks written down, it's the hardest thing to master.

My philosophy: Magic and logic are not enemies. One just explains the other.
                            2 Saxy 4 u 2 Handel...

Comment

The thing about the Young Wizards series is that it's so realistic. With Harry Potter, it has more of a 'fantasy' feel, with wands and dragons and goblins. But the YW books are, at least a little bit, confined to science. When it says what the spells mean, it's not some fantastic calling of the elements or incantation, but a description what the spell-caster wants to happen.

A thing that bugs me about the Harry Potter books is that their magic is basically wish fulfillment. They wave a wand, say an incantation, and they're done. They don't have to pay for it, it isn't hard, and there's no actual explanation for it. YW does, even if it is a bit loose.

The characters in YW are realistic, and actually, very ordinary. Nita's average looking. Dairine skips school and can't connect with her dad easily. Filif gets scared. Roshaun can't help being a jerk sometimes. In constrast, most of the characters of Harry Potter(at least the ones on the 'good' side), are good-looking and have a fairly good grasp of spells. That(to me) is what makes the YW books seem so real.

Is it real? That's a hard question to answer. I don't know. I certainly wish it is. While I'm reading these books, I definitely believe it is.

Oh, and a suggestion. Don't look for a manual in a new bookstore--try a library or a used bookstore. That's where Nita and Kit found theirs!
                              And don't worry, xLaurenx, I still say the Oath, and I'm 15. Keep trying and good luck! If it works, put in a good word for me with the Powers!

~Dai stiho, Ebony
                              Last edited by EbonyGirl45; August 31, 2009, 10:41:33 AM.

Comment

Yes I believe in wizardry.
                                It's as simple as that.I am 12, and I still believe in dragons(or at least I try to, if you know what I mean!!)My friend and I still believe, and I recently (after much persuasion) got her to read the YW books. she is on HW, but I don't see her often.I didn't know that many people really believed in magic.
                                And to people who's parents get mad.....My parents can't understand why I am constantly rereading these books. I have read AWA and WH atleast 40 times (no joke)
                                So yes, i believe in wizardry of some sort, and i hope with all my heart that I will be part of it.I feel like Dairine in HW before she got her wizardry (informal quote)...She felt like there was something missing in her life and she was "beating on the walls of life"(or something like that) trying to find out what it was ("and then finding out that there was something missing, and then that somebody else had it...wizardry and why couldn't she have it to...")(i think that's close to a quote.....)that is how I feel

thanks
                                All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

Working...
                                X