No announcement yet.

Have you got the Manual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onyx: I cringe at the thought of you having "written" a manual, if your command of language is as bad as it has been in some of your posts here. Wizardry is about commanding language - having enough command over a language to describe things completely. And what point are you trying to make? These wonderful stories that DD has written do teach many good things that are worthwhile following in Real Life, things that will decrease entropy, and decrease the rate that we (humans) are damaging our planet, but thats just it; they're stories. Very good stories, but stories all the same.

Comment

Alla your kind of depressing wizardry isn't just in books its real it's just like magicalmike said it's in your heart, soul, and mind.
      dài stiho

Comment

Originally posted by alla:
        These wonderful stories that DD has written do teach many good things that are worthwhile following in Real Life, things that will decrease entropy, and decrease the rate that we (humans) are damaging our planet, but thats just it; they're stories. Very good stories, but stories all the same.
        and do you have any proof that wizardy does not exist? do you have proof that it dosent? if you do, please, do not refrain from posting it. i would love to see it. in my opinion, the belief in wizardry or any other kind of supernatural powers/abilities might be true, or it might not be. i shall remain neutral on the subject until someone comes up with enough evidence that supernatural events/wizardry are real, or are just figments of our imagination.
        ------------------------------
        Quote(s) of the Week:
        "GLOBAL WARMING IS NOT REAL!"
        Michel Chricton, State of Fear

"Call me... DA PENGUIN!!!!"
        me, my crazy self, and i. (LOL! penguin is my nickname)

Comment

I agree with ijevhm and Dylan. And I might not exactly have wizardry, but how can you say it is just a story? Part of a story's magic is making you believe in something else, or letting you be or experience something else. Why does it matter if it is a story? I read my books so much because they are pratically like memories to me. Can't you just enjoy the story?
          "And on he went, out of sight in unhurried grace; the true dark angel, the unfallen Destroyer, the Pale slayer who never really dies -- seeking for pain to end." Deep Wizardry, page 355 Listen, and I'll tell you a story... of the wind in the trees, and the sun, the moon and the stars... of all of Earth dancing

Comment

Sheesh, guys, I don't even know where to start with my rebuttal. I guess that post order will do, though.

I don't know what point onyx paradox was trying to make. It is not clear at all.

Dylan: I was unaware that I have a kind of depressing wizardry. I shall have to form it into to a kind of lifting wizardry. Your sentence doesn't make sense. Please learn how to use 'your' and 'you're'. I find such poor grammar depressing.

ijvevhm: Do we have any proof outside of stories that wizardry/magic exists? There seems to be a collective hope amongst some humans that magic exists (and I am sure that everyone on these boards would fall into that group), because why would we otherwise have so many stories about it. I would be amazed and I would be overjoyed if magic was real. What I do not like is fanfiction. Especially when it comes to something that is as special as the Manual. Doubly so when the Manual is an instruction manual for Wizardry that requires such a command of language - both written and spoken. When did I say that I did not believe in magic? I did not, once, in my previous post state that I did not believe in magic, ijvevhm. I do, however, think like a scientist - I tend not to believe in things unless the evidence one way outweighs the evidence the other way. In my opinion, wizardry is what we work when we remember to turn off the light when we leave a room, or when we decide to walk or commute somewhere rather than driving. Wizardry is something that we choose to do with or without a manual. Your manual is your social conscience.

Smile: How can I say it is just a story? UUuuuummmmm... you do realise that these wonderful works are filed in fiction section, don't you? It doesn't matter if it is a story, but no matter how wonderful a story is, you have to return to the Real World some time. I have been enjoying stories for as long as I can remember. I was reading at four years old - I taught myself to read, much to my parent's surprise. I was reading novels by the time I was six and I have always enjoyed reading for the sake of getting lost in a world where you could pretend that Real Life was not happening for a little while; where you could pretend that you were some hero of legend (be it of this world/universe or another), but you still have to return to this world sooner or later. Sure, you can take some of the lessons and things that you have learned with you from those stories, that is, after all what stories are there for.
            I enjoy stories so much that I usually get annoyed when it comes time to analyse them. In my opinion there are few series (and YW being one of them) where your awareness and understanding of the story can be enhanced by discussion and analysis.

The love of these stories, the thing that we all share in common as part of this community, has helped carry me through difficult times in my life. I understand the value of being able to enjoy a good story more than you would know. What makes you think that I have not read these books to the extent that I know what happens off the top of my head in each one? And this is not the only series that I have done that with.

Alla

Comment

If DD created an actual "manual" like JK. Rowling created fantastic beasts and where to find them, it would solve all our problems. on the other hand, most science textbooks and other books of that ilk contain helpful information to create your own manual

Comment

Pirateluvrxx3: DAI! You probablydon't know the rules yet, so I won'tcomment on the fact that it's a one liner, but whoa!?!?! You don't believe in magic?!?!? Are you sure you don't?, cause 'Wizardry doesn't live in the unwilling heart.' Alot of people in this forum really believe, or want to, that magic is real, and a lot of people like to dream and imagine, and...sorry, I'm just getting overworked about this, because it is a touchy subject in my family. My dad doesn't believe, and thinks it's sacreligious, my mom just nods her head and smiles politely, and my sister starts trying to get all technical about it. NO ONE IN MY FAMILY BELIEVES IN MAGIC, so please, just let me dream, kay? (sorry for the mellow dramatics, and welcome, again)

Emi: I do that alot too, but instead of saying, 'in SYWTBAW, Nita said this', I more or less just say that quote, and then continue speaking the rest of the page, usually unintentionally. When I do that my friends understand that it's from a book, and just let me ramble.

KK: rock on Irish Wizards! If they can do wizardry without manuals, why can't we?

Onyx: I'm terrified. Plain and simple. I don't know how safe that really is, creating a wizard's manual, when we're (mostly) nonmagical ourselves. Kinda scary, but still incredibly cool, and goodluck. Maybe you and dylan could put your ideas together, as he seems to have some ideas himself.

Dylan: Daistiho and welcome!

Ummm...I've run out of things to say soo...ummm...daistiho...and Happy (almost) Easter, if you celebrate it.
                ~We're the kinda friends that kill each other for a handful of Doritos and in the end we don't say sorry we say Haha! Too bad!!~. Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

Comment

Originally posted by Memeki'sGlede:
                  If DD created an actual "manual" like JK. Rowling created fantastic beasts and where to find them, it would solve all our problems.
                  Well, there's always the Errantry Concordance, to which DD adds information when it occurs to her.

But the big difficulty in creating a real Manual would be that she'd then have to create the Speech. And she ain't gonna do that. She gave several reasons in a post (that's now in the archived section). Back in Nov. 2002, MacGreine asked if someone came up with characters/grammar of the Speech would she accept it? This was her reply:
                  Uh, no.

First of all, if anyone's going to invent the Speech, it's going to be me. But I'm not going to do it. A number of reasons:

(a) No made-up language would ever "sound" right...like the real thing. The idea of the Speech is that when you hear it, you know what you're hearing, in your bones... and nothing you, or I, or anyone else makes up, is going to have quite that sound.

(b) The minute I start writing words in some made-up version of the Speech, people are going to try using them. You know they will. And they're going to be disappointed. I can't have that.

(c) There are also people out there who would take the appearance of "magic words" and "spells" in these books as evidence that the books were some kind of trap set by, uh, a figure with horns and a funny tail frequently mistaken for the Lone Power. I refuse to give them any ammunition to work with.

(d) And I think the Speech sounds better if you make up for yourself what it sounds like, in your own head. It's much more effective than anything I could make up.
                  Just FYI, I'd like to repeat: I can't find the Manual. Mine stubbornly refuses to be anything but this kids' book called So You Want To Be a Wizard.
                  New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

i am creating my own manual but for now Im going to go crazy with thisi know the speech!!!!!!!
                    ----
                    you would think that scince my names onyx paradox pranxtor you wuold think Im kidding,but scince my names general tony judge turner washington I am not!!!!!!!!!!!.though the pranxtor side is really getting to me, I'll give you some steps to figuring it out:1:go to errantry wiki 2:click on the great golem of prague 3:read the first 3 paragraphs,4:then think ,there is a word thats in the speech that stands for the word"truth" 5lease please please tell me that Im the ruler of the worlds after[their is a faster way to find out what the speech is and more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just search all the forums}
                    --
                    forget it,Ill tell you here ,and I am so supprised that the seniors didnt know this{no disrespect kli6,but my fluency in the speech is infact better than my english,thank you very much!}its in hebrew.listen,the hebrews believed that everything that is here was created by god,who they commonly call,"the one',and everything was created from his talking so everything understands it,as for the book of night with moon,remember what carl said about it,"it decribes every thing....its in the speech' and that its commonly called th light book,theres a book called the book yetzirah which describes every thing, and is sorta like a bible,that tells us that th one is the universe,and it also tells us ofthe ten numbers who are called the sefirot ,and through them intelligence percieves the worlds existance and the divine action,my book says that"for them there is no end,in the future inthe past in the presnt,nor good or bad",as for the lone power,his name might be raziel,angel of evil this book is filled with strange names.....formed apon known models such as gabriel,micheal,rapiel and others.dont try to figure out what dai stiho means cause its in notarikons method of hebrew{for more information find a book called"a history of magic and the occult by kurt seligmann,or just wait for my next post!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    ----
                    the sefirots names are crown,wisdom,intelligence,goodness ,power,glory,victory,honour,fuondation, and kingdom also magnifigence,and faer.and plus remember when nitas dad thought it was arabic?well hebrew looks arabic to a certian extent,plus hebrew was used by back-in-the day wizards,in magic circles, an example is:ararita which indowes theowner with riddle answer,wak I know but ....
                    Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; December 29, 2008, 03:19:10 PM. Reason: quad-post consolidate, color tagging
                    peice out

Comment

Originally posted by DairineRules! View Post
                      Who says you even need a manual? I dont!
                      I mean what about the whales or the irish wizards?
                      I get mine fom myself (if that makes any sense)what I mean is that I just know things that I dident learn
                      Funky I know but........
                      That's almost exactly what I was going to say!

The manual is the universe; whenever you need to know something (and I mean NEED) you just will. I actually think of myself as a knower....
                      I have some pshychic friends, but I don't all myself pshychic; I don't have vsions, I just know. And if one of my friends who I've worked with needs help or has a question, even if I technically know nothing about it, I usuallly am able to spout off tons of info (just never ask me to repeat it.. ) I call it pulling information from the universal database.

The Lord's army is awesome!!!
                      The Promised Land is a State of Being. - Me

Comment

I'm exactly the same way!! I'll just sort of know what something means or is, of course I can't think about it, it just comes out of my mouth, and it actually makes since!! haha!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that. Hun, you are psychic, but everyone is to an extent, its waking up that power that's the hard part.
                        Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

Working...
                        X