Have you got the Manual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you got the Manual?

IF YOU DO SEND:Young wizard,A PERSONAL MESSAGE!!!!

THANKS!!!!!!

[edited to un-text the topic and summary. YW--you can edit a post afterwards by clicking on the folder-and-eraser icon. --kli]

I don't have a copy of the manual unfortunately, but I did take the oath from the book, and now I work tech support. Not sure if that's a coincidence or not.
    -Positronic Cat
    (I have sat between the great lion statues, hoping for a glimpse of the future.)

Comment

Hey don't mean to be rude or anything.. but when you make a topic please make it relevent to the books... Yes I know this is relevent.. But besides the point DD pays for these forums out of her own pocket so think about what you're going to post before you do it. Also use proper grammer as well. Instead of "U GOT DE MANUAL???????" how about "Anyone have the manual?".

I see that you're a new to the forums so please check out the Newbie threads and take a look at the FAQ's. Welcome!!

Emi
      Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
      Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
      It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
      Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

Young wizard posted:
        I am sorry to all.(ecspecially you emi
        [deleted the other thread it was in. Sorry to lose your attribution, Young wizard. --kli].

No worries, young wizard. You're on topic. You just need to get a little more familiar with this board. The "New" button starts a new thread. The "Reply" button adds a reply to a thread.

I don't have a Manual. To me, it just looks like this kids' book that's called So You Want To Be a Wizard.

Emi, I appreciate the enthusiasm, but with someone's first post, you might want to be a little more gentle. Personally, I try to wait until someone's reached "Member" status and proven they're ignoring the rules (rather than just not knowing they're there) before nagging. Prior to that, I'll just point 'em at the Board FAQ.
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

If I did, I would tell you. If there was any way, I would take the oath ( : I read the oath in the book : ). If you know something, please tell me. But like kli - my book is called "So You Want to be a Wizard" - I wish it was a manual.
          "And on he went, out of sight in unhurried grace; the true dark angel, the unfallen Destroyer, the Pale slayer who never really dies -- seeking for pain to end." Deep Wizardry, page 355 Listen, and I'll tell you a story... of the wind in the trees, and the sun, the moon and the stars... of all of Earth dancing

Comment

Originally posted by PosiCat:
            I don't have a copy of the manual unfortunately, but I did take the oath from the book, and now I work tech support. Not sure if that's a coincidence or not.
            Have I mentioned lately that I'm a technical writer and that I spend my entire working life writing manuals of one kind or another? I particularly enjoy doing language/API references. I wonder if that's a coincidence, too.
            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I have the whole series; anyways, who's to say that the books aren't the manual? maybe we see them as regular books because we aren't going to be wizards?
              "If his grin was any wider the top of his head would have fallen off"
              -Terry Pratchett
              Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata, Master of Technology

Comment

Originally posted by kli6:
                <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PosiCat:
                Have I mentioned lately that I'm a technical writer and that I spend my entire working life writing manuals of one kind or another? I particularly enjoy doing language/API references. I wonder if that's a coincidence, too. </div>[quote]

Hee. I worked at Microsoft doing Developer Support for a couple of years, and wrote 4 (?) dozen KB articles while I was there, and a short magazine article since. I see a trend here...
                "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Who says you even need a manual? I dont!
                  I mean what about the whales or the irish wizards?
                  I get mine fom myself (if that makes any sense)what I mean is that I just know things that I dident learn
                  Funky I know but........

Comment

Emi, I appreciate the enthusiasm, but with someone's first post, you might want to be a little more gentle. Personally, I try to wait until someone's reached "Member" status and proven they're ignoring the rules (rather than just not knowing they're there) before nagging. Prior to that, I'll just point 'em at the Board FAQ.
                    Ahh my apologies! I'll remember that for later..

On to topic... um... I keep wishing that someday I'd open up SYWTBAW and that would turn in to a manual. I sort of took the oath but nothing happened. Maybe I'm too old! Ha!
                    Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
                    Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
                    It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
                    Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

The manual needing thing - they still have a version of the manual - that's what I want - I don't need the book.

I took the oath a bunch of times - younger and older. I own the whole series, except for AWA and WD. None of my books have changed though...

(I wish, I wish, I wish)
                      "And on he went, out of sight in unhurried grace; the true dark angel, the unfallen Destroyer, the Pale slayer who never really dies -- seeking for pain to end." Deep Wizardry, page 355 Listen, and I'll tell you a story... of the wind in the trees, and the sun, the moon and the stars... of all of Earth dancing

Comment

I have a Manual from small-kid-time (which, coincidentally, looks exactly like a paperback copy of SYWTBAW). I took the Oath. I just passed my oral final exam, and graduation is in December; I am now qualified to hold the exalted position of Librarian. The Powers That Be do work in funny ways (both odd and humorous).
                        "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                        "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

yep. You're offiically in charge of lettting wizards to be leave the library with the manuel without check up. I do hearby appoint you!
                          Not taht i have any authority to make such an appointment. I mean, i didn't disover it a long time ago or anything, and i haven't been saving the universe ever since! it's not like i accidently made a mistake and started the process of global warming! STop looking at me! *hides* um...
                          *looks back and forth furitively and hopes everybody misses this post*
                          I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                          For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

You people earlier were saying something about "I wonder if that's a coincidence," or something similar, while talking about taking the oath...wel, what I have to say to that, is the obvious: There are no accidents!

Anyway, I don't have the manual, but bought the book at my library. The cover was a compete mess, all torn up, and when I went to check it out, the librarian said that I could keep it, if I had twenty-five cents. So I paid her the quarter, and she let me keep the book, after removing all library labels. When I got home, I removed the "Fantasy" sticker on the binding, and the next day when my friend came over, she thought it was the actual manual. Unfortunately, it wasn't. But since I took the oath, (as I've said in another topic) I've gained nine IQ points, so, there are no accidents! (I am not going to say, "I wonder if that's a coincidence," because there really are none! )
                            Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

I don't have the manual in the sense of the book, but I agree with DairineRules, that I don't really need the book. I have taken the oath several times, and I am young enough to be a wizard

Anyway, lots of things (good?) have happened since. I'm not old enough that I have a job, although I found a decent collection of books that I'd never noticed in my library before over the summer.

And as kk said about there being no accidents, I agree- after all, it's right there in my sig... I wonder how it got there. Funny.

Edit: note- I think I have read all the books in my library that isterest me, so I thought it was pretty interesting. Anyway, it was new reading material...
                              Believe something... and somewhere, it's happened

Comment

Working...
                              X