No announcement yet.

Have you got the Manual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Rio, I don't know what I would do if I couldn't read. I have ron out of bookcases on numerous occasions. I think my manual would be a book too, but any form would be wonderful. I would like book form because I love books, but also because although in Ireland you just know something and remember it and could get extra information if you wanted, in the book that might be easier to do, by flipping through it and seeing it... Did that sentance make sense? Kinda long...
    "And on he went, out of sight in unhurried grace; the true dark angel, the unfallen Destroyer, the Pale slayer who never really dies -- seeking for pain to end." Deep Wizardry, page 355 Listen, and I'll tell you a story... of the wind in the trees, and the sun, the moon and the stars... of all of Earth dancing

Comment

It does. I don't know how I would feel if I suddenly knew things... I was actually thinking about that this morning. Is it only in Ireland that wizards can inherently know things or is it an Irish thing? Could it be passed down genetically? (I'm curious because I'm Irish- like 90%)
      No, that's ok. I'll take the bird with me.

Comment

I'm 50% Irish, so I guess that applies to me as well. Ithink that you might be more likely to just know it, but it would happen if you started in Ireland or worked there (Nita started to just know things in Ireland)
        "And on he went, out of sight in unhurried grace; the true dark angel, the unfallen Destroyer, the Pale slayer who never really dies -- seeking for pain to end." Deep Wizardry, page 355 Listen, and I'll tell you a story... of the wind in the trees, and the sun, the moon and the stars... of all of Earth dancing

Comment

Well, I'm part Irish (Don't know how much... my mum's side...) but i think that it all depends upon where you are. Nita started just knowing the=ings in Ireland, even though she started out in the U.S. and her manual (book form) still worked. so, I think all places are compatable with you, but you're best with what you start out with... i hope I was clear...
          Believe something... and somewhere, it's happened

Comment

That makes sence... Though when Nita left Ireland she's never mentioned just knowing things again- do Irish wizards have problems knowing what the Powers want them to know? Hm... I don't think so- I mean, Ronan leaves Ireland and he dousn't seem hendered.

Comment

I think it's just something she picked up in that region. She wouldn't have it while outside of it; though I also think that it may have something to do with the fact that Nita is sensitive to the peridexis. I mean, It would make sense, and explain why other people don't do that as well.

Comment

It would, really. You have a good point!

Comment

Wolfy: Yeah, my mom does know that I'm a member of the forums. I had to tell her eventually. She was mad, because she thinks electronic communication via the web is "evil." Or something like that...though I wonder, because of how many times I find her online commenting on stories, or talking to people who've had bad things happen to them and are now in the hospital, or have their children in the hospital. Though she claims that's different...

Every time I get on the forums, I'm told "go do somthing productive..." What if talking about random subjects is productive?

I've had to hide books from my parents before...the YW books, actually. She was more mad when she found out I was reading those, than when she found out I joined the forum. I remember once when my mom had lost her car keys, and I was thinking "if I were a wizard, I could find those for her..." I think what really got her mad though, was when I accidentally said it a couple of weeks later...
                  Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

kk: Yeah, eventually I'll tell them... Wow. it must be pretty bad... I mean, thinking of how much i use my e-mail, i would be in a little bit of a problem if I couldn't get on because of my parents. And I don't really always tell them when i'm on the computer- easier w/ a laptop! And I've been told that I should "go do something productive" a multiple number of times... that's pretty bad- that you told her about how if you were a wizard you could go find her her car keys- i mean. I am pretty careful NOT to do anything like that; mostly because I used to think that HP was real when I was little... I WAS LITTLE, and it was my 1st chapter book. OK??? sorry. I've just been teased about it my whole life...

Comment

I'm normally not allowed to read "magic" books because according to my mother it's against our religion??? Interesting, but she lets me read these series and other books because she knows I have "faith". I really don't know what I have, but sometimes I do have to remind myself that this is book, but it would be cool if this universe was real. When I first joined this forum I was on here like 24/7 trying to figure out what to write... but now I'm only on when I have the time. So I guess my parents are okay with it _now_. Haha, but I do wish sometimes I could just talk to my car so it will start on its own when I'm in my house. Especially when it's cold outside!!!
                      Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
                      Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
                      It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
                      Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

Wow. I am amazed at the number of people whose parents don't want them to read books with magic 'cause of their faith. It's interesting. but my parents do get bothered by it sometimes... when they notice that i am reading a lot of fiction books (all the time) they force my to "read" (I don't actually) other genres. But I always have the floorboard!

Comment

Funny thing is, my mom lets me be on email, and Mugglenet Interactive, and she lets me go online a lot...it's just YW that she has a problem with. She think it's against my religion. I disagree, and I have friends who agree with my disagreement. And it was COMPLETELY by accident that I said the "if I were a wizard..." thing. I just sort of muttered it distractedly while I was thinking about something different, when she asked "have you seen my keys?"

Sometimes I go on the computer without telling my parents, though not usually online. The laptop I have can't be easily connected to the internet. I tried hooking high-speed to it earlier today, and the computer didn't really work well. I use the laptop (found in a building about to be demolished, if you need to know how much the previous owner wanted to get rid of it) to write poems and fanfics, which I upload to the internet when it decides that it wants to work with my grandparents' high-speed connection. Which is rare.
                          Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

I think I linked to it before, but Teresa Nielsen Hayden calls this "Satan Triumphant". People who think that the Devil is so powerful that one little exposure to him in the form of rock music or wizard books will completely demolish years and years of faithful service to God believe in the power of Satan more devoutly than any Satanist out there...
                            "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Garrett: Umm, rock music?

kk: That's interesting... though I think I see how the YW books might have a bit more of an effect on her. I also used to have a laptop like that. and it was ANCIENT. I mean, 8 years old. which I consider to be pretty old. and I hardly ever connected to the internet... even so, I really liked it, as it was my 1st computer that belonged to me. I can't believe someone would want to get rid of a laptop! that's pretty strange. Yay kk for saving the laptop!

yes, I am hyper.

Comment

I own two old computers, actually. A desktop (abandoned by my church's youth minister) and the laptop. My offline friends have old comoputers too. My one friend calls his "the abacus." Reminds me of my dad's old computer (a.k.a. "the dinosaur" as he would call it. I think he should have called it "the caveman" or something similar. Reminds me of those geico commercials...).
                                Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

Working...
                                X