No announcement yet.

Writing Challenges - Script Frenzy and NaNo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me about it - i started a mockfic. Unfortunately for me, my muse soon demanded various original characters - it's still all fun and humor, for the most part, but the only thing that's really mocking about it is that i took all the fanfic characters completely out of sync... But i'm having fun! assuming it ever ends!
    I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
    For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Originally posted by Cinnamon Wind View Post
      I got exactly halfway through and then I stopped because, er, the house had been flooded, the youngest girl was worse than dead, the father had run away, the mother had gone insane, the second-oldest girl was hypnotized and they were all miserable and living with their grandparents. Then it was like... er, so what do I do now?
      Set it to music and release it as a hit country song?
      "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

I've had one book end horrifyingly miserable before... it was sad. Still is. Anyone else going to a TGIO party? Mine's in boise - i've never been to one before! **Is so happy**

And the same sunday of finals week, too - a last chance to wind down after a busy week...
        I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
        For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

I just finished up my Nano novel - it clocked in at 64,000 words or so. I currently am not a fan of the ending because I'm just bad at writing endings on top of it being fairly open ended as it will be answered in the future, but I'm happy that I can start editing as I please now.

Comment

Lol, love the idea, Garett!

I did NaNo...and reached my goal, but I felt very guilty when the winner's page said "Congratulations, you've finished a novel!" because mine- wasn't. I haven't even got to the climax yet. Heck, my main characters haven't even MET the villian yet. Although they've been through quite a lot, including being ridden over by the Wild Hunt and attacked by stone sprites and kidnapped when hitchhiking.

My poor, lovely characters....they'll never recover from the trauma of having such an author.

Comment

I think the whole point of being an author is to give your creations trauma. Maybe all of us fiction writers are just disturbed people. =P It's good that you got your 50K! May the rest of your book go well!

Comment

I think it's probably more a case of not being afraid to write your characters into a traumatic (or even fatal) situation if that's the way the story really needs to go. I've read books where the author's become attached enough to the characters to repeatedly rescue them in the most unlikely circumstances, and I've read books where the author has visited mountains of misfortune on characters for no apparent reason. Both of these make the books unsatisfying to read because the stories feel contrived, and you can feel the author playing god all the time.
                -- Rick.

Comment

Rise... RISE... or *bumpitybump*

So, it's that time of the year again (and I may or may not be procrastinating from adding to my word count). Is anyone else doing NaNo again - or for the first time - this year? If you want to look me up, I can be found under the username a_l_l_a.

I'm bending the rules a little (again...) and spending my time on a re-write/edit of one of my husband's stories, which has been a lot of fun so far, although I'm behind by about 5000 words. Work really gets in the way of writing, though I have to admit, it is less intrusive than writing a thesis. It's based on a game of D&D that my friends and I played, so it's fun to get back to the characters and play with them again.

Comment

I'm doing NaNo for the first time this year. I'm feeling a bit pessimistic about being able to finish by the end of November, though. I'm terrible at building plots - I love building characters and messing around with their characterization, but I can't make a coherent plot to save my life.

Comment

I'll be trying this year. Although, realistically speaking, what will probably end up happening is that I finish by the end of December. (I'm supposed to be doing homework right now.)
                      But that's only if college essays don't ruin my life. *Sigh* Or club stuff. Or running around doing unnecessary things on the weekend. Is there no other more inconvenient time?!! (February / March is easy. So is May / June.) Goodness sakes, Thanksgiving is right now.
                      So maybe by January? Since I don't want to go insane like last year?
                      Whatever. I'm going to get started. I'm just a slow, slow, fast

Comment

And in the fall of the year 2012, I actually entered Nanowrimo for reals and won... Just thought I'd give an update. Dai.

Comment

Working...
                        X