No announcement yet.

Writing Challenges - Script Frenzy and NaNo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My nano was kinda embarresing, though for a different reason then for others...I spent years writing a book, most of that time never writing, but just imagining.
    Then i entered Nano and wrote a book in a single month, made up of slightly over fiftythousand words. It wasn'e ven in the same world, except for the very end, and they didn't actually DO much of anything in that...It's just there so that i can bring the two into connection later. It's embarresing! All those years of effort, and i could have just written a book in a month! *still needs to edit, but...*
    sCript frenzy should be interesting.
    I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
    For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Erm, so it's almost halfway through ScriptFrenzy.. and I was wondering how everyone is doing (who's doing it of course)???

I have 29 pages written.. although I'm collaborating with my sister so, it's easy to get that far. But I'm stuck in a rut and can't make it go to 30. I need to get a move on though. Some people I've seen already has 100 pages written!!

Good Luck...
      Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
      Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
      It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
      Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

I haven't touched it since the first couple of days. I'm kind of disappointed, but I guess it's ok: it was just a fun thing to do, rather than something I had any serious plans for.

I almost abandoned my original Nightrunners adaptation plan to instead write <span class="ev_code_white">a Torchwood episode where the team is closing in on a couple of Weevils, only to see a blonde girl jump out and drive a stick into their chests. "Oh, no, there's a _British_ Initiative?"</span> (whited out for pushing the no-fanfic boundaries)
        "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Bump. Those who are about to nanowrimo--we salute you. We buy you coffee at midnight. We leave you alone to type for an hour during Thanksgiving, and we pray for your swift recovery in time for the holidays.

I would also like to mention that thumb drives are a good way to go, and in case you're paranoid like me, I recommend the open source software TrueCrypt for keeping folks from seeing your stuff, especially if you tend to go cross-platform like me, using OpenOffice on Mac, Windows, and Linux. (Open source. It's a good thing). This way, you're not limited to using a single computer.

Also, svn and cvs (or any form of version control) is really a smart idea, if you find you'd like to rollback to an earlier state, or just for backup purposes.
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Thanks for the tips Kathy! I'm definitely saving my story on my thumb drive.

It's the second day of Nano. To all of you who are doing it, how are you guys faring? On track or a little behind?

For me, I'm a little behind but I'm hoping I'll pick it up soon.

What are you guys writing about?
            Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
            It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.

Comment

As per usual, I'm behind at the beginning of the month. NaNo always falls right at my end of year exams (and script frenzy at the mid-years), but I'm going to try anyway. I've always managed to get it done in the past.

I'm writing a prequel to one I wrote a couple of years back. Should be fun .

What are you writing about, Emi?

Comment

I've actually not gotten anything written yet and am unsure how far I will get. I decided to try after November started when I realized I wanted to come up with more of a backstory for my D&D character. So I'll attempt to write a story for NaNo so I have the backstory for the game I'm in.

I don't expect to finish, I expect to be far from done at the end of the month. I'm taking a grad class ontop of a full load and sitting in on another class. But I have to try now that I have an idea...

edit: Well once I posted this I actually started, wrote about 1000 words - a prologue and part of chapter 1. I'm going to have major problems with stuff in between the plot points however.
                We will remember you PM. And your little GingerBear.

Comment

Thankfully, I'm not doing full-blown NaNo this time. Not well enough (though I used to be ML for my previous area) and I can't write long fiction as much as I used to these days. So I'm doing mini!Nano - between 3,100 and 31,000 words for the month.
                  Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

alla: I'm writing about this girl who's stuck with a number curse... and it's starting to threaten her life. I've gotten over 3600 words written so far... (ones I have counted) but I still need to type of the rest of what I had written today.

Tuttle: Cool idea! Hopefully school doesn't end up getting hurt.

Trialia: That's so cute, a miniNano? Is that part of the competition, and where did you find that?

Comment

I am so behind on my NaNo, about 10,000 when I mathematically should have more than 15,000. Unless I completely ditch schoolwork for this, which will so not happen, because I like being alive, it's not going to be a winner again this year. I wish the parental units weren't so paranoid about my computer use. They must think we're going to join chat rooms and meet up with serial murderers or something, because the computers have to stay downstairs, and whenever I go on a typing frenzy there's my dad, asking what the *bad word* I'm doing all the typing for. He doesn't really use an explicative. So I tell him, as I've told him countless time before, that I want to major in creative writing (which I do), so I'm adding to a work in progress. But hey, that's what scheduled open labs are for.

Adding to the fact that I'm drowning is that junior retreat is next week, Wednesday through Friday. I need an aspirin and a miracle, not necessarily in that order.
                      I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. I have not got one who is a fool.--Oscar Wilde

Comment

I am really far behind on my story, too. I have 15,000 words when I should have 20,000. I am going to see how much of the gap I can make up by tomorrow.

Anyway, my story is about a girl who goes to England with Study Abroad and meets a guy there.
                        Shoot for the moon. If you miss, at least you'll be among the stars. ~ Les Brown

Comment

I've entered Nano this year, but not aiming for 50,000. More like 20,000. And I'm behind for that. I'm at 8,126, and still introducing the characters for my story. It's about eight people kidnapped by (someone, don't know who yet) for a social experiment. Some of my characters I thought of fully fleshed out, but others I'm still fighting with. They just can't decide what kind of a person they want to be. But it's all good fun, and this is only my second year doing it, and I'm only 14, so I have time to improve.

Comment

I decided to tackle NaNo again this year since I hit 50,000 on Nov. 30th last year and got a free proof copy of my novel out of it. ^,^

This year I'm writing a full-fledged fantasy novel that keeps running away to directions I hadn't expected. Plus I'm not sure if I like my hero or my villain better.

Oh, and I'm actually ahead on my word count. 35,315.
                            ---
                            Interesting (adj.) - Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?

Comment

It's that time of the year again...

Hey everyone, it's almost April!!! And you know what that means?

ScriptFrenzy time. Haha. So I was wondering if anyone is going to do it this year? I don't know if I'll have time to write a script this year, but I'm hoping that I will.

I have TV Production this year and I need to focus on my quarter projects. It'll be a challenge though.

So anyone going to do it? And do you have ideas?

Comment

I'm still debating over whether or not to sign up for SoFoBoMo... Probably not, though (sigh). That's the problem with having a full time job--it severely cuts into your fun time.
                                New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Working...
                                X