The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kathy Li View Post
    My problem was remembering if a specific preposition took the ablative or accusative.
    My biggest problem has been remembering the ones that take both the ablative and accusative cases. Luckily, I haven't had trouble with that in a while. Now, when ever I think of Latin prepositions, those are always the ones I remember first.

There might be snow this weekend here in Bellingham, Washington. Boy, I hope those weather forecasters are wrong! We have had enough snow for this winter already. The problem is, I live about 20 minutes outside of town. To get off our road, we have to go up like three huge hills. I sure hope we don't get more snow!
    Ars longa, vita brevis
    (Art is long, life is brief) -- Seneca

Comment

• Em: Yes, I adore snow-creatures. I have a stegosaurus lying about somewhere but I don't think I've put it online... My sig is a quote from a friend of mine who is one of the funniest people ever. We were talking about whether it would be plausible to open a Milliways-type restaurant in the here-and-now, and how effective it would be to bring animals out to stare at you while you ate. That was his response.
      (Incidentally, he lives in Olympia, Washington. Small world and all that. heh.)

Yesterday afternoon, I took a detour as I was heading home from uni. The school I go to has all these inner underground hallways and +15 paths so you can get anywhere without going outside. I generally sort of hate the hamster tubes but yesterday I was feeling a bit ill and I didn't want to push against thousands of students, so I just went with the flow. Uh, anyways...
      I went through the Earth Sciences building, and the crowd just slowed right to a crawl. There were about 15-20 people outside a classroom holding up protest signs. the word Religion with big NO signs over it, and "SECULAR EDUCATION" and that sort of thing. I stopped to chat with one of the girls protesting to see what was up. Turns out there was a Geography lecture with a young-earth assumption being taught, and they have been protesting it since the beginning of the semester. double-you tee eff, mate.
      I would EAT THE HELL outta that steak, then try to guilt the cow into dying just for being a cow. I'd be all "NOM NOM HEY COW YOU'RE NOT MEAT YET WHAT GIVES JERK" and then I'd glare and give it the silent treatment. Same goes for pigs and chickens... I would guilt a FLOCK of chickens into poultrycide in a heartbeat. "HEY YOU'RE A CHICKEN HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THAT"- Madhatte

Comment

• If it was just one lecture during the semester, then it'd be ok. We did that one in high school, and ended up with the conclusion 'This is rediculous'. It was kinda fun trying to fit everything in, though. Standing around protesting it isn't going to get them anywhere, though. They need to go and sit in the class, find out what the age assumption is going to be (and there's different ones. The fundamentalists believe that Earth is 6000ish years old - 6004 years old, at the moment, I believe - but there are people out there who belive 10,000, or even the 600odd million that scientists have shown complex life has been present for) and the present the data that refutes the claim; basically any scientific dating method that has produced a result greater than whatever their assumption is. Hmm... maybe my brother is rubbing off on me. He likes debating with creationists...

Comment

• Jacq: awww, a snow caterpillar! So cute! Some neighbors of mine made a snow dollar sign, with what little snow there was. It lasted about a day, before collapsing, and melting...

I'm 15 now! *gasp* I feel so... not different! Haha...

Tomorrow I'm having some friends sleep over... we have that soda that has ginseng and caffeine in it... everyone will be hyper by 6 PM... this should be so much fun!

My cake looks like a piano, kinda... but it doesn't have many keys. I'll have to post a picture, sometime... haha.

Dai, people! I'm hyper right now, so I'm probably going to to read something, to calm down!!
          Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• Originally posted by bookgirl View Post
            Emi: Holocaust Studies? I think that would be so amazing! I've always been fascinated by the Holocaust I'm not really sure why, but I love learning about it. I love reading books that are placed during the Holocaust. Have you ever read "The Hiding Place"? Or "The Devils Arithmetic? Both of them are excellent books.
            Yeah, right now we're learning about the end of WWI before we get to the actual Holocaust part. It's all basic review up until the interesting stuff. Pretty easy so far (speaking from a senior POV). I have only read "The Hiding Place", but that was like Middle School. Haha. And "The Devils Arithmetic" I wanted to read... but we never got to it, unfortunately. I might just end up picking that up myself. But for my Holocaust Studies class we are going to read books on ACTUAL events. Like someone's autobiography or biography. It's going to be wicked depressing... but I like it. Does that make me sound like a masochist? I hope not. I just sometimes like historical fiction that's all.

Jacq: He sounds like a pretty funny guy.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KK!!!!!!!

Okay. I'm done.

Dai!
            Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
            Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
            It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
            Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

• Emi: Thanks! Are you as hyper as I was when I wrote that last post? You sound like it... haha...

I'm happy... but I've eaten too much icing. No, not cake... icing. That pure sugar-and-milk-products combination, that I was frosting my cake with... ughhhhh...

I think I might go sleep off my sugar-sickness... heh...

Dai
              Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• Happy Birthday KK. It's going to be an ugly day tomorrow for me, work from too early in the morning to mid evening... I hate that type of shift.

As for Creationists - I am one to a certain degree - I just think that people should see all sides of the equation and stop trying to shove their ideas down MY throat just because we disagree. I believe that whatever Power may Be out there - God, Gods, Big bangs, etc. I don't understand why people believe that Science has to exclude God... do people really think that God could be a God without understanding how EVERY thing in the universe works?

It seems sad to me that people can't seem to learn to live and let live... why must everyone believe the same way all the time at the same time? Life would be truly boring indeed if that was the case, and nothing new would be discovered without people who dared to think outside the box of conventional wisdom, and searched. Just like Nita wouldn't have become a wizard if she hadn't been curious how to solve her issue in the first book...

*smiles ruefully* I got off on a real tangent again... I guess I just wish people would THINK before acting, and protesters seem to me to be those who act without thinking...
                There is Always DEEP Shadow where there is MUCH Light!
                "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

• Originally posted by Emi View Post
                  But for my Holocaust Studies class we are going to read books on ACTUAL events.
                  Ouch.... i think that was an insult towards me....

But I think one of the reasons I enjoyed "The Hiding Place" so much is because it is a true story. You'll have to tell me what books you read in the class, I'd like to read more of the books like that.

And no, it doesn't make you sound like a masochist, I'm the same way with historical fiction.

This is random, but I really like this smiley...
                  "Doctors help you to live, the Arts give you a reason to live."

Comment

• What is the point of a random topic, I'd you can't be random?
                    ... Well, that wasn't quite what I wanted, but it makes the point, and I'm STILL on an iPod, so I'm not fixing it for something that won't work as well.
                    We got the laptop back - but I currently don't have access to a charger. Might be stuck with this for a couple of weeks.
                    Ah well - at least I'm on the site again. Gotta look on the side.
                    I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                    For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• Aw man DW/YR, I hope you get a charger sooner rather then later. Typing on an iPod must be awful.
                      Originally posted by Dragon Writer View Post
                      Ah well - at least I'm on the site again. Gotta look on the side.
                      Sunny-side-up eggs have always reminded me of eyeballs. Before I learnt the term "over-easy" I always told people at the restaurant I didn't want them looking at me.

I single-handedly started an avatar fad at another forum and my pride is out of proportion.
                      http://jacq.illemonati.com/images/manip/shut/fad.html
                      (^ nothing nsfw, just a titch image-heavy)

Annnnd I ate too many salad rolls tonight. bloog.
                      I would EAT THE HELL outta that steak, then try to guilt the cow into dying just for being a cow. I'd be all "NOM NOM HEY COW YOU'RE NOT MEAT YET WHAT GIVES JERK" and then I'd glare and give it the silent treatment. Same goes for pigs and chickens... I would guilt a FLOCK of chickens into poultrycide in a heartbeat. "HEY YOU'RE A CHICKEN HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THAT"- Madhatte

Comment

• Now, if you reeeeaaaaly want to have fun, think up the stupidest fad imaginable, and see how fast it catches. Mind you, I've never done it, and never will - but when you consider the fact that I once became known througout a good portion of a school simply for being polilte enough to hold the door open for people, I I'm rather frightened of what would happen.

In other news - my activity bar is almost full. Unfortunately for me, j refuse to post at this point unless I have somethig to say. The wait for posts is agonizing - but getting yelled at by mods would be more so.
                        I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                        For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• Stormwind: Thanks you!

Okay, It's... well, it's 3:33 AM here, and I think that this is a fun party... The sugar high hasn't completely run out yet... will it ever? Well, I think one person is asleep, but the rest of us are okay... almost...

We're watching a movie...

I should probably go back to that, now...
                          Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• Originally posted by bookgirl View Post
                            Ouch.... i think that was an insult towards me....
                            Oh bookgirl I wasn't insulting you!! I was simply overstating the fact we were reading about actual events because thats how my teacher was saying it. I'm sorry! I didn't mean to insult you in any way.

I still don't get the idea of this smiley (okay just to let you all know I had to type smiley like four times before I got it right. sad? yes.) - But it's cute.

YR: It's not often that a gentleman like you comes around... You should feel good about that.

Singing In The Rain is on. It's the first time I've seen this movie. It's really good so far. Haha. I'm going to go now.

I am not sure if I have contributed a lot.

Dai,

Emi
                            Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
                            Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
                            It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
                            Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

• It's someone beating a dead horse, hence the name "deadhorse". It's a colloquialism that means something has been talked about longer then necessary and everything said now is just rehashing.

So, for example:
                              HEY GAIZ THIS TOPIC IS TOTALLY RANDOM AND IT'S ABOUT RANDOM THINGS

YR/DW, do we get in trouble for being too active? That is a scary thought. :S

Comment

• Jacq: Your sig is awesome! It somehow reminds me of a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy book, the second one... where they go to the restaurant, and meet a cow who wants to be eaten... it's kind of amusing, in a bit of a sad way...

Has anyone here heard of Dorodango? I'm trying to make one, it's fun... and messy... but fun.
                                Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

Working...
                                X