No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hehe I know what you mean Trialia. I usually avoid this topic because its mostly just people talking about school...

On the topic of school, anyway, I'm currently six weeks into my honours project (ah! I'm a postgrad) and I'm really enjoying it, for the most part. Ask me again in a month and a half when I'm in the middle of my 8000 word essay, and I might have a different opinion. I'm a little scared, though. I started geology with the firm intention that one day I would be a vulcanologist, but now I don't know if I'll ever get that far... The more I learn about coal and petroleum bearing rocks and sedimentary stuffs, the more interested I am in them. Perhaps I need to go and find some interesting papers on "hard rock" just to keep up my knowledge of that third of geology. There is also a possibility of a _funded_ (!) PhD project in carbon geosequestration! *sigh* So much to choose from...

Anyways, I have to run into uni now I get to tutor the second year sedimentary rocks practical (funfun). Its so weird tutoring people who are the same age or a year or two (in some cases older!) than you are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trialia:
      ...I feel so old all of a sudden. It's been five, six years since I left school.
      It's been five or six years since it's been five or six years since it's been five or six years since I left school.

And I was reading YW before I left school.

YOU feel old? :-)
      "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

• Wow, I haven't posted here in a while!

All you people talking about how you feel old makes me feel really really young. It feels weird.

And then I start feeling old again when I have to explain to my friends about old tv shows that they very well should remember, but somehow don't...

Recently I've been playing the beta test of the MMORPG "Wizard 101." It's...interesting...very addictive...and kind of fun... In some ways it's just weird, though. I'm trying to get my little sister to play it. She's now just as addicted as I am. :P

Well, my dad's yelling at me to go to bed, so I guess I should go.

Dai Stihó!
        Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• Eric: Wow that's a lot of buildings!! Man, I thought my school lunches were expensive but yours is $5.50? Geesh! My lunches just uped 25 more cents to make it $3.00...

Hungry: That's great your loving college!!! Hm. I love Jon and Kate Plus 8! That's such a cute show. I love how a Barrel of Monkeys were a part of your care package. That's awesome.

kk: All you people talking about how you feel old makes me feel really really young. It feels weird.
          Haha I agree with kk... Just kidding.

Ah!! My birthday is tomorrow. August 31st. I'm so excited... 17!! Woot. Haha. I'm like one of the youngest person in my grade. I've had several people say "Oh My God, you're a senior and only 17? WOW." Haha.

I'm going to go to the beach again... with my friends and my boyfriend. This time I get to drive there!!! YES! I might stop by at a town near the beach to meet up with one of my old friends. Should be interesting.

Oh school! Haha. I forgot about that. Okay, so my first "week" (two days) of school was really cool. I love my classes. A-block (first of the four 90 min classes) I have TV Production. It's so cool! I got to play around with the cameras and the switchboards (it deals with trasitions and cuts to different shots) I love it. We're going to make a news cast in a few weeks and I'm the Political Anchor. Haha. I also have to run playback, so I'll be in the "news room" when I'm reporting.

B-Block I have Contemporary Asia. It's soo... laid-back. Awesome. My teacher was hilarious on the first day. He walked in to the room and then walked out, and then walked back in and walked back out. We were all wicked confused why he was doing that. And then he walked back in and told us to stand up. So we all did. And then he puts his palms together in front of him and bows and says "Namaste" We all mimicked him and he smiled and sat down.

"That's how we're going to begin class every morning." He said. "We'll start out with 'namaste' and then go on to the Chinese greeting (don't know how to spell it) and then an Islamic greeting (not sure how to spell that either) and then 'Ohio gozaimasu' (Japanese for good morning)." I new the last one, THANK GOD for having a Japanese father.

So that class should be interesting. We'll be learning about the history, culture, and language.

C-block is Accounting and lunch. Accounting is so easy... There's like 12 seniors in that class... I don't doubt we're all going to be slacking....

D-block is English! Yay. I love English it's like one of my favorite classes. Anyway, I've had this teacher for three years now. So she knows me a lot and depends on me to know the answers to stuff... Greeeatt. It's quite hilarious, actually. The majority of the class has HAD her before either two or three times. One person had for FOUR years. That sucks. She's not the _greatest_ teacher, the class always gets out of hand and she usually ends up getting in to an arguement with the kids. Haha. It's entertaining but utterly frustrating when you want to learn. I already have an essay due on Weds.

Oh and new things about the school. The lobby's being renovated (still) it was in the works during summer and they STILL haven't finished it. I hope it'll be done before we graduate. ANYWAY, the football field's done, along with the track. THANK GOD. We'll be able to have graduation on the football field this year. We now have a 5 MILLION dollar stage. Haha. My principal is a big Theatre guy, and he directs the plays so... yeah. New class rooms...

The "Tundra" an outdoor area in the middle of the school. It's closed in by the building, is going to be a privilige for the Seniors!!! They're putting out picnic tables and benches for us to hang out and eat or do homework or read... during school. A lot of people have blocks off or half blocks (skinnys) so it's really cool for us. And there's a posibility for an overnight Senior trip! This is all exciting because everything is new!

Ahhh, Senior year should be the best year!!
          Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
          Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
          It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
          Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

• Well, on Thursday, I got some chicken noodle soup for lunch, with chocolate milk, and the Reese's ice cream bar (again... I seem to have an obsession with Reese's lately because I get the ice cream bar for lunch and then get some peanut butter cups for an after-school snack as I wait for my bus ) and it was... $3.75? Maybe $4.25.... What I hate is that there aren't prices for anything so it's always a guess when I go up to the register.

Hmm.... Emi, your principal is in to Theater? Our headmaster is in to sports.... He has this "lovely" idea to expand our sports complex down the road. Nice idea, but where's the money going to come from? Demand it from the sending towns, I guess, and make the other school systems suffer. Expand in to what? The historical district, wetlands. Tons of consideration needed for building procedures and lots of protest from the neighbors of the sports complex, but Mister Headmaster presses on.... I mean, it is great that he wants the best thing for his school, staff, and students, but there's a certain line where you have consider the other schools, neighbors, etc.

A couple days ago, I mowed the lawn at my mom's church. My mom told someone on the council that I would mow it after school. Well, my dad had to go somewhere, and my mom had to work, so I was stuck riding several miles to the church, up a series of long, steep hills. The lawn at the church is a hill, too, and mowing with a manual push mower is wicked tough. I drove back home sat in a chair feeling as if a bus had it me and parked on my upper back.... I'm still sore today.

Emi again: There's a Senior area in your school for free blocks? That sounds neat. Here, our Seniors have Senior Privileges, which allows them to leave the campus during free blocks. If they have a block free at the end of the day, they can go home early.

Yesterday, I walked to my friend's house from school with him and one of his friends (he lives about a mile away). The high school really doesn't care at all what happens to us after school. Last year on my bus, a high schooler would bring a friend, and my driver would just ask if both parents knew about it and that was it. At the middle school, parents of both children had to call the main office at least a day ahead of time, then the office would call the bus coordinator, then you had to get a bus pass from the office, and the main secretary in the office was NOT a nice lady....

Does it seem to anyone as though high school teachers are more enjoyable than middle/elementary school teachers? Aside from the campus supervisors (don't do ANYTHING suspicious around them!), it is a much more laid-back and pleasant environment. The teachers just seem happier.

This evening, we're going to my aunt and uncle's to play dominoes. I'm at my grandfather's now, and we're going to go to 4 o'clock mass and then either meet my parents somewhere or my grandfather will bring me all the way to my aunt and uncle's.
            "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

• Eric: We can leave during our off blocks too. But it's just a nice area for us to hang out I guess. I don't really know, like I said... it's new this year. I know what you mean about the bus driver thing. My school system's like that too. They're tough on you in Middle school and stuff but once you hit High School, it's like they really don't care.

Geesh, I remember when we used to have to bring written notes with us saying we can ride the bus. Haha.

And I think your lunch prices are outragous. It's like going to a fast food chain and getting a combo meal!!

EDIT: Hey does anyone know where I can like make a music score online for free? Without having to download any software or anything... I really want to write my music down, but I seem to mess it up when I do it by hand... PM if there is. Thanks.
              Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
              It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.

Comment

• Kk - Oh my word! That's completely amazing! That's wonderful too!

I have to start school on Wednesday - I so wish that I didn't have to...

How many of you had homework over the summer? We always have something, since 7th grade. Well, earlier than that you just had to read a book or something like that, which isn't a problem. Ugh, I just finished mine. It toook me hours to write all the notes. I didn't even save it for the last minute.

I unfortunately need to clear away some of my books. I always keep my books, ad now I have a bunch of them from ages ago... They've been there for forever, it seems. My bookcase will look so weird without them. I know where they all are... At least I'm not putting them in the attic or something. They'll be under my bed, in a tub. Easy access, I suppose.

I told my sister about you avatar, kk, she loves it

Our new kitten, Koko, is doing good. I'm trying to be happy.

Dai
                "And on he went, out of sight in unhurried grace; the true dark angel, the unfallen Destroyer, the Pale slayer who never really dies -- seeking for pain to end." Deep Wizardry, page 355 Listen, and I'll tell you a story... of the wind in the trees, and the sun, the moon and the stars... of all of Earth dancing

Comment

• smile: Actually, I've never ever ever had homework over the summer. Not even reading a book. I thought I would this summer, since I'm taking two AP classes, but I didn't have to do anything for those. I do have alot of homework now, especially for APUSH. I'm enjoying school, though, so that's great.

Comment

• Originally posted by Garrett Fitzgerald:
                    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Trialia:
                    ...I feel so old all of a sudden. It's been five, six years since I left school.
                    It's been five or six years since it's been five or six years since it's been five or six years since I left school.

And I was reading YW before I left school.

YOU feel old? :-) </div>[quote]

Lol... Well, maybe not SO old now! Given that SYWTBAW came out three years before I was even born and all that...

All the talk of school does make me feel sort of saurian, though.
                    Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

• Speaking of old... Haha, I turned 17 yesterday. I had me and three, well actually five of my friends go to the mall and we shopped and ate at Ruby Tuesdays. It was so cool.

Has anyone seen the show The Hills on MTV? Well if you have, then you'll know what I mean when I say I felt like I had a "Hill" moment yesterday. Two of my friends... dislike each other.

One, M, had moved away to a town that was like really close to the mall we went to so I called her to come. And the other, E, was already with me and she didn't like the idea of M coming. So when M did show up with her friend, it was wicked awkward because E was avoiding us, with her bf, and my bf and I were talking to her about school and stuff. I can tell E was pissed by the way she looked and how litle she talked. I was a little disappointed because I was hoping they'd get a long again? Wishful thinking I guess...

I invited M and her friend to eat dinner with us, which, I think made E a little more upset. But we all were getting a long and talked during dinner so that was good. But when we had to leave E was all bubbly again.

It kind of made me laugh because I felt like E and M were like Lauren and Heidi from "The Hills". And I was like Audrina or Steph or something. I don't know but I just wanted all of us to get along like the old days.

Anyway, switching gears. I love my bf so much. Haha, he got me this GORGEOUS Jane Austen leatherbound seven novels book collection.

Pic

It's amazing, I still haven't read from it yet because I was up wicked late last night. But I'm anxious to read it... it's been calling me. Haha.

So My birthday was... eventful. There was drama with friends (and family). I wanted to go to the beach but my parents didn't want me to drive there because it's Labor Day weekend and there'll be a lot of traffic and blah blah blah. I was crying but then got over it and figured we could go to the mall... again... for like the fifth time in a row. Haha.

But all in all my birthday was good. I got to have my fav people with me and that's all that mattered. Regardless of the mini drama that was going on between the two.

Comment

• Happy birthday, Emi.

Not old though. I'm nearly 23 and there are several people on the boards older than I am. *g*
                        Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

• Hey, long time no see...again. Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever going to be able to keep up here - I always feel miles behind.

Anyway, has anyone else started school yet? My school started last wednesday and our first football game friday. We (the marching band) didn't perform, though, because it was raining too hard. We left right before the game started.
                          Shoot for the moon. If you miss, at least you'll be among the stars. ~ Les Brown

Comment

• School... I feel awkward. I'm homeschooled and I have been since I was like... 8? I think 8. And when I did go to school, it was a private school. So yeah.

Anyway... Room temperature... Mine room is always about a degree cooler then it is in the rest of the house, except in the winter, then it's a few degrees warmer. it's perfect! I Where I am it's still like 85 degrees outside! So hot, I could die. I stay inside with the wonderful computer and air conditioner (the AC is particularly wonderful)

XD Can't think of anything else I have to say... Except why did I say XD? XD!
                            Oh well. Dai!
                            This is now officially my signature. I can't think of anything else... Ooh! How about "A dog ate my sig!"? XD Or is that just lame? "XD yet again"... I like that. XD !!!

Comment

• Hanna-Windshadow: I'm homeschooled too! It's fun...school is awesome...I get to choose what I want to do for schoolwork, it's fun.

I'm feeling random...heheheh...

I'm reading...several very good books. Phantom of the Opera, and others.

I'm trying to get really old games to work on Vista...my mom's games: Oregon Trail, Storybook Weaver, etc; and my dad's old games: Eagle's Nest, Ski Free, PacMan, etc. I remember playing all of those games on my dad's old Gateway when I was little, and I'm having fun trying to get them to work now...
                              Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mona0622:
                                Hey, long time no see...again. Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever going to be able to keep up here - I always feel miles behind.
                                Don't worry, Mona, you're not alone. :-) I frequently end up skimming the excerpts in the new-since-last-visit view, and hence miss large chunks of the postings...

And to be properly random, I'll note that while I'm sure that your username refers to your birthday, I can't help but connect it to the Mozart Clarinet Concerto, Köchel-Verzeichnis 622.

That's also how I remember the Weiner Music phone number -- 800-622-CORK :-) Weiner is where I bought my A clarinet. I saved up while I was taking time off from college, and when I had it, I called them up and told them what I had in mind. They pulled a couple of R-13 As out of their warehouse for me, along with a R-13 Prestige and (I think) a Selmer A for comparison. I took the train to New York and played each one until I decided which one I wanted -- it was a tough choice. :-) I wouldn't have minded the Prestige, but it was out of my current price range. :-( The Selmer was good, but I had been playing an R-13 Bb for a while and didn't want a mismatched set. Switching quickly mid-concert is hard enough without changing between manufacturers' tone qualities. (And don't get me started Mahler's 1st, which has under 20 seconds for a change from bass to soprano between the 3rd and 4th movements, where the 3rd also calls for Eb at an earlier point...)

Clarinet prices have really taken off since then, as the world's supply of grenadilla wood has been depleted. I paid about $800 for my R13 Bb in 1984 (or thereabouts) and $1100 for my R13 A in 1988 (or thereabout). These days, I'd have to pay $2600 and $3200 to replace them -- and that's at a 40% off list.

The clarinets I'd _like_ to add to my collection are the basset clarinet in A, for $7100, and the contrabass, which varies widely. There's a Leblanc contrabass for $3700, but the Selmer professional horn is $22,000. I'd have to have a very regular paid gig to ever be able to justify _that_ one.... Or a Powerball lottery win *crossing fingers, checking to make sure I have ticket*...
                                ----
                                Originally posted by Emi:
                                EDIT: Hey does anyone know where I can like make a music score online for free? Without having to download any software or anything... I really want to write my music down, but I seem to mess it up when I do it by hand... PM if there is. Thanks.
                                Can't help with online, but I've raved here before about Lilypond, a free open-source music typesetting program. I've been posting some of the Cavallini Caprices for clarinet to the Mutopia project -- see here for a sample.
                                The code that generates the above snippet looks like:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">\score {
                                \new Staff {
                                \clef treble
                                \key b \minor
                                \time 2/4
                                \set beatLength = #(ly:make-moment 4 16)

\relative c'' {
                                b16(\mark \markup{Andante} fis) d'( cis) b( fis) fis'( e) |
                                d( fis,) d'( cis) b( fis) fis'( e) |
                                d( fis,) b( cis) d( b) d( e) |
                                fis( d) fis( ais) b( d) cis( b) |
                                ais( g) e( fis) g( e) cis( b) |
                                }
                                }</pre>

It looks complicated, but it's pretty straightforward. " ' " means go up an octave, "," means go down, "(" starts a slur, ")" ends one, and "is" means sharp. Lilypond can generate PDF and MIDI output -- MIDI helped a lot with proof"reading" while I was doing the Caprices. I really need to get back to them -- I've been quite distracted lately.

combined double posts by idiot mod - gf
                                "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Working...
                                X