No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazzed means exited but I'm not sure about pen pusher..... Err.. Neil Gaiman sounds familiar..... but kli, who's Neil Gaiman? heh heh.... *whisper* We're gonna get an adult lecture when she comes on....
    *Agent~M*
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
    "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
    "I could live

Comment

• I've heard Vanilla by Gackt. That's a GOOD song. Yesh.

That picture, put in that context can look pretty darn dirty... And you know, the sibling that only makes it worse?

Comment

• I was only trying to do a profile!!!!! *defensive*

...er...

...although they're technically siblings only in a metaphysical sense... (they're deities in a story of mine.... I suppose their relationship can be viewed in the same manner as that of the Greek gods...). and, anyway, there's a long story behind it. A reeeeeeally long story XD. Anyway, it's supposed to be a sibling-ly hug, but it kinda turned out vanilla-ish becuase I was listening to vanilla at the time...

M--Neil Gaiman is an author, who wrote The Sandman comics, Neverwhere, American Gods, Good Omens (w/Terry Pratchett), and a whole bunch of other stuff. mwee.

Comment

• Aurora you make me laugh so hard!!lollollollol!
          M: Seriously I am laughing out loud.
          penguins will rule the world.

Comment

• Umm... siblings? That's a bit close. But hey, if you bring up Greek mythology, that's not so great either.

Semiaris:
            (they're deities in a story of mine.... I suppose their relationship can be viewed in the same manner as that of the Greek gods...).
            In Greek mythology you have mother and son relationships and sibling relationships that are uhh... way too close. Umm, ew.

Aug. I'm not a cat.
            Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• Greek Mythology? How about ancient egypt? Cleopatra married all of her brother's had one kid. Than killed them all! Talk about gross!
              The average person in ancient egypt lived to age 20 so they had kids and got married at 9 usually to their siblings. (Which explains why the kids and people didn't live long.)
              penguins will rule the world.

Comment

• <adult_lecture_mode=ON>

(draws in breath)... (bursts out laughing. Recovers). Ok.

Neil Gaiman is a comic book/fantasy writer best known for The Sandman, a fantasy comic book series. He's written two kids' picture books The Day I Swapped My Dad For Two Goldfish and The Wolves in the Walls and one YA title, Coraline, which got three really cool cover quotes:He's really cool, incredibly nice, and a heckuva writer of whose work I've been a fan for years.

Now, "pen-pusher" is a phrase that Neil made up on his blog. He'd mentioned that he writes his novel first drafts with a fountain pen (strangely, I found out that Garth Nix does the exact same thing), then types it into the computer for editing. I'm a fountain pen collector, and so two or three times, at conventions and signings, I've given Neil fountain pens. He just told everyone on his blog that his favorite pen is a 80-year-old Waterman that I fixed and gave to him.

<adult_lecture_mode=OFF>
                New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• meteorite- Kneel before Zod? God, yes, that I've heard of, but Zod?

Kathy- *grins* if i'd been on here a little bit before you, I would so have beaten you to the adult lecture. But *bes pedantic* surely it's graphic novels? Not comics? I read [I]the Day I sold My Dad For Two Goldfish before I'd read any other gaiman, and when I went back to it about a year or so ago, I was reasonably flabbergasted by the author. Now I don't know why, because.. I don't know, I guess it is a pretty Gamian-style story. but hey.
                  </random Gaiman blabber>
                  Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• lol. (Z I really am laughing too ) Sorry kli, I thought I'd heard of him (probably on here...) but I don't really read comics... only the occasional Calvin and Hobbs.
                    *Agent~M*
                    "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                    "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                    "I could live

Comment

• M, nothing to be sorry over. Of all his novels, you might like Neverwhere or Stardust best. His stuff tends to be gothic and weirdly beautiful. Also as funny as it's scary. Here's one of his cooler poems.

Tui: Beat ya! And even more pedanticer: "Graphic novel" was thought up by people who didn't think that comics had to be funny. But there's been a swing back in the other direction of why-the-heck can't comics mean the format, and not the content?

But I use comics more often these days, because most comics aren't novels: i.e., designed as long narratives. They're mostly neverending episodic serial fiction, like television. So, unless it's actually a novel like Blankets, Cages, Jimmy Corrigan, Berlin, Box Office Poison etc., I'll probably call it comics. Except if they're manga.
                      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• I can see I'll have to eventually post a link to my upcoming presentation on graphic novels that I'm doing for (or to, depending on how you feel about said art form) my class. I tried to condense more than a century of comics history into a 15 minute Powerpoint presentation. Pretty rough, but hopefully I gave a decent overview. My main problem was deciding which of our dozens of graphic novels to use for the show.

Tui -- the "Kneel before Zod!!" line came from Superman II. The three evil Kryptonians have temporarily vanquished Superman, and are in the White House making the president swear fealty, hence... It just popped into my head, as the first minute or so of my presentation is set to the theme music from Superman. I've been spending the last 2 weeks fitting the music and pictures from my presentation together, and the sound track is now permanently in my head (and my husband's; he was saying something about deleting my .wav files and breaking a certain CD.)
                        "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                        "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

• Aug, oh no! I only have a few minutes left...

So I'll rush through what I wanted to post.

One, I like powerpoint a lot. It's fun to play with the wazzitcalled thingys. Hehe. Knewwl before Zod sounds really funny. I'm listening to Linkin Park again! (I gave it up for a while because when I'm bored in the YW caht room and I',m lsitening to Reanimation, I start sining.) Some people don't like that. :P

My Birthday is soon! My birdthday is soon! Woohoo!!!

Sorry if I compleetly typoed a word. I'm outa time!!!
                          Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• Hahaha. I just read from the top, and then went back and read the first thread. He means pen pusher like drug pusher. God I'm so easily amused.
                            http://superdrea.net/

Comment

• I sat down in front of the computer after school, and I heard this weird noise. It sounded something like "Wooowowowooooo." So I looked out the window and there was sweet little Sparkle with her head titled to the side. She mewed.

I went and opened the door for the kitty. She went straight to the kitchen (which, I've found, she does EVERY single time she goes inside) and straight to her bowl of cat food.

When I pet her, her fur was unusually soft. What's with that? Sparkle's fur is always coarse and dirty (she likes to roll around outside). I'm wondering what's happened, because her fur is NEVER soft. In fact, I've never seen a cat or any other animal with such rough fur. Sparkle didn't take a bath and it's not like all of her fur fell out at once and she grew new fur back. Mystery...

In language arts, we have to write a story. The first draft is due this Friday. Heh. When I'm done, I might have to post it here. (It's a short little thing)

My story is about Pipsy the bunny who lives in Bunnystown. Setting, main character... Plot. The evil squirrels are mad at the bunny rabbits because they're using acorns as currency. Gasp! Oh no! What do the bunnies do? They send Pipsy to go ask the Great Mysterious Kitty Cat for help. :P

Hey Drea!

Comment

• lol. Kitty Cats are cute. I like kitty cats. My dad's girlfriend has three. they're soo cute! um... I do not want to join! simple enough! do have trouble with the words I, do, not, want, to, or join? please STOP nagging me. lol. I like frogs . ribit* ribit* tee hee

Dai stiho
                                Reality is for those who lack imagination.

Comment

Working...
                                X