No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nope. I tell people, because I'm a naturally open person... but likely, I won't do anything about it. As far as I see it, to get anything done, I'd probably have to go all the way to te top, and they'd still be like "That's nice little girl. Now go away." I don't trust authority.

Kitsune Rei ~kisses taste nice~

Comment

• Well, actually, Aurie, NOT EVERYONE IN AUTHORIY IS RACIST. I am SURE of this. But you know what I think. >.<

See, I haven't done anythign because it's not, like, a huge problem. I snark at people who are stupid, and usually they shut up: mstly they're just not thinking, it's not because they're intrinsically racist, they're just succumbing to, I don't know, rumour. Generally, though, you don't get racism- not at my school, anyway, because there's really not much point in my school. There aren't really many protests against racism: I think I overstated the problem here, because although we get occasional individuals who are racist, we also have lots and lots of very loud voices against it. There wouldn't be any point in a tolerance club because the vast majority of people are, I think, tolerant.

I have joined any and all multicultural clubs my school offers.... ie, one. And the thing is, that's not because we're a racist school: it's just because we only have one culture attending, and no matter how hard the principal tries to say tena koutou katoa, that fact remains. Which is sad.

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
      --Agent M
      Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
      Still the Typo Queen
      Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• Our school was well over 95% white. However, there was never any racist behaviour towards non-whites, as certain elements of the sixth form (age 16-18) saw it as it's duty to help 'stamp out' racism - no metaphor. Racsism is general was something which the shcool a xer- tolerence aproach to, and those who indulged in racist abuse were generally eccluded.
        (I should point out that, in general, our scool was quite easy going.)

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation
        "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

• My school is over 95% white, but there isn't much racist behavior toward anyone. I think it's mostly that people are uneducated, because the town is almost completely white and mostly really rich. So people don't really think about other cultures that much. In fact, there are no multicultural clubs at my school, though I think there's a couple at the high school.

Comment

• I have a lot of "minority" friends, as you might say. But I wonder if in Africa, whites are minorities. Chocolate...have not had for 24 hours! *chew chew* MMMMMMMMMMM....
            Does anyone here NOT like chocolate?
            Forget that. I don't want to know.

brokencello
            the crinkled paper bag
            "Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." "But why is the rum gone?" --both from Captain Jack Sparrow, "Pirates"
            brokencello
            the crinkled paper bag
            "Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." "But why is the rum gone?" --both from Captain Jack Sparrow, "Pirates"

Comment

• My mom met my dad in Kenya. Everyday she said...I haven't seen a white person in ____ days! That's what she told me. It must of been weird for her. There were some ppl from China that told me that it was weird to come to America and see so many white ppl. I wonder if anyone on this forum is from CA, because there are lots of latino ppl there, and their are only a few latino ppl here. It's so cool to live in a big country like the US, because you see so many diffrent kinds of ppl.

Have an issue get a tissue!!--Steph C.
              Kisses taste like chicken-- Absoulutely Normal Chaos...sharon creech
              Early to bed early to rise, makes a man healthy and wise...but NEVER wealthy.-- my Dads Scottish school teacher
              Don't be a fool. Glasses are cool!!-- I made this one up.
              Love yourself no matter how you look!--Zgirl
              penguins will rule the world.

Comment

• its not that I believe authority is racist. I don't trust authority for other reasons. Authority doesn't know what to do, most of the time.

Its more that I believe that even if I told anyone, nothing would change. Sure, the people would get yelled at, and nothing worse. What's more, those people will see it as my fault for telling, and I will get it worse than ever. What's done isn't enough, and doesn't change anything.

Kitsune Rei ~kisses taste nice~

Comment

• *Agent~M*
                  "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                  "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                  "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                  "I could live

Comment

• I don't know...
                    I think that sometimes, talking does help...
                    A girl that I know used to always say things like "ewww....that's like something a white girl would wear"..."eww...why would I date him, he's white"...She said these things with out understanding how they'd make other people feel. I told her and she completely stopped.
                    Other times, talking doesn't work in the short run, but in the long run...things change:
                    In 8th grade, there was a guy in my science class who always said things like "Dude, that's so Jewish" or "So like a Jew"...I told him to stop and he wouldn't listen. He just laughed at me and made the whole class laugh at me. That hurt me more than anything else that happened that year.
                    The next year, that same boy ran for class president. We were talking about racism in my history class, and my teacher asked if anyone had ever experienced racism. I told the class what had happened to me and that this same person was running for school government. With in a week, no one would vote for him. He might not have changed, but at least he didn't get to spread his ideas through school government.

A Jedi Ewok
                    And proud of it...

Loyal reader and Young Wizards books, great lover of Moon Cakes, and *almost* a new driver...
                    A physics geek
                    And proud of it...

Loyal reader and Young Wizards books, great lover of Moon Cakes, and engineering feminista...

Comment

• *Agent~M*
                      "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                      "I could live

Comment

• Ya....but don't you think that make a difference to just one person is enough?

I belive that all you have to do is change one person's way of thinking and you've done alot.

You ought to watch this documentary called "Journey to a Hate Free Millenium." I watched it at camp. IT REALLY MAKES YOU THINK.

A Jedi Ewok
                        And proud of it...

Loyal reader and Young Wizards books, great lover of Moon Cakes, and *almost* a new driver...
                        A physics geek
                        And proud of it...

Loyal reader and Young Wizards books, great lover of Moon Cakes, and engineering feminista...

Comment

• *Agent~M*
                          "I could live

Comment

• Plus, the mroe people whose minds you change, the fewer racists there are, the less support there is, it becomes less open, it becomes less and less socially acceptable, etc. Remember the Quantum Weather Butterfly!

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
                            --Agent M
                            Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
                            Still the Typo Queen
                            Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• Even though you can't change the world, every person you influence helps. You can't force the entire world to become open-minded, but if everyone who feels like us works on making their community better, the world will gradually become a better place.

Comment

• I wish there was a place where we could all meet each other in person! It would be cool. Just a few ppl from this forum.....if we got together we could all fight against racism! *feels rebelious* I'm so serious, we could all make changes in our own state or country. Everybody should read this section of this forum. Instead of watching movies about racism in school, most of us are having online converstions with ppl who have experienced it! I'm feeling so good right now. I want to go outside and explain to ppl about racism right now but unfortunatly I can't because we've just got 5 ft.of snow.

Have an issue get a tissue!!--Steph C.
                                Kisses taste like chicken-- Absoulutely Normal Chaos...sharon creech
                                Early to bed early to rise, makes a man healthy and wise...but NEVER wealthy.-- my Dads Scottish school teacher
                                Don't be a fool. Glasses are cool!!-- I made this one up.
                                Love yourself no matter how you look!--Zgirl
                                penguins will rule the world.

Comment

Working...
                                X