No announcement yet.

Has anyone read books by Tamora Pierce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I personally like Kel a lot, but I also like Daine and Alanna. I don't really like Aly or Beka that much, for some reason...oh, and I've read a total of 26 full length stories and 2 short stories by her. One short story was about that tree that Numair turned into a human, and the other one was about Kitten. from her point of view. it was amazing. and then I read all her tortall and emelan books. I actually read the firts 4 emelan books firts, and then the tortall books, then the rest of the emelan books...
    All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

• It's funny that I should come across this thread now. I just finished rereading the Alanna series again. That one is my favorite. I've also read the Immortals series and the Protector of the Small series. I haven't read any of her other books yet though. I've been thinking about reading the Beka series. I noticed that it takes place long before the other books and I kind of wanted to see those characters again. I still may read it any way.

I didn't realize that she'd written so many books until I read here that some of you have read 27 of her books. I think I may have to go look them up.
      Shoot for the moon. If you miss, at least you'll be among the stars. ~ Les Brown

Comment

• Her Tortall books really are her better works. I'm an Alanna fan all the way. I remember making a deal with my mom when I was little that if I kept my room clean for the entire summer, she'd get me the entire quartet. Needless to say I got the books, and then the Immortals the next summer.

Mona- though your favorite characters don't show up in Beka's stories, they are still very good reads. They have a completely different feel and even voice than the other series in the world, but still have that strong female protagonist that I love Pierce for.

I actually think that's why Alanna is my favorite, she has the most issues with being female, having to hide it and all. Beka and Diana don't really run into that problem, and while Kel does to some extent, it's not to the extreme that Alanna had to deal with. I love strong female characters, I just wish they'd be as plentiful in movies as in books. :/

Comment

• Originally posted by Uniasus View Post
          Her Tortall books really are her better works. I'm an Alanna fan all the way. I remember making a deal with my mom when I was little that if I kept my room clean for the entire summer, she'd get me the entire quartet. Needless to say I got the books, and then the Immortals the next summer.
          I honestly don't believe so. I enjoy the two Emelan quartets far more than I ever enjoyed the Tortall books, and Alanna is one of my least favourite characters. I like what she represents, but I do not like her. She irritates me.

If I had a favourite character, it would probably be Rosethorn, or maybe Numair.
          Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

• Fair enough. Alanna is a bit on the brash side, and her relationship with George was always kinda odd in my mind.

Comment

• I reread parts of the Alanna books today, and I'm going for the Immortals tomorrow. I am super psyched!!!!!!!
              I'm gonna meet TP on Tuesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              My goal is to have reread almost all her books by Tuesday. I'm working really hard! yeah, so TP is going to be in Pittsburgh next sun, but that day I am leaving for NY state for an astronomy camp, which is in the other direction... thankfully, she added an extra signing this Tuesday in Greensburg, PA, which is a little further away, but totally worth it!

On the whole Tortall v.s. Emelan thing, I'd have to say Tortall, just because I like the variety of characters. I read the first 4 Emelan books, but i HATED Briar's book. It scared my really badly (i was in 4th or 5th grade) and I felt that couldn't continue. so I switched to Tortall, which I like better.

One key reason that I like the Tortall books more is that it is overall less violent and gruesome. People die, but it's not such a big thing. In the Circle Opens quartet, all of the books are focused on murderers and other unpleasant things. It really bothers me a lot. with the Tortall books, people still die, but the books aren't focused solely on the deaths (with the exception of Lady Knight and the Beka books) I really don't like death, and it sometimes ruins a series for me, when the book is too focused on it...

To end on a happier note, I'd like to say that the reason I like the Tortall books (another reason) is the way they are set up. I love how the viewpoints shift, and it always makes me happy when I find out what happened to the characters after the books ended. I am really excited about the books that TP is planning to write about Numair. It sounds really cool...

I just realized that I wrote a lot here...I'm hyper, plus I'm tired...
              All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

• 96, that makes me wonder if my liking for the Emelan books isn't partly based on my crime-fiction addiction (hey, that rhymes ). I very much love Briar's book, though, which over here is titled "The Healing in the Vine" - for some reason I find the British edition titles of that quartet so much more attractive. I wouldn't have picked up "Briar's Book" if I hadn't read Tammy's stuff before.

For those of you who don't know this - US title v British title:

Sandry's Book - The Magic in the Weaving
                Daja's Book - The Fire in the Forging
                Tris's Book - The Power in the Storm
                Briar's Book - The Healing in the Vine

I do definitely think that part of my love for that last is that Rosethorn is my favourite character and we get so much more of her in that book. I like having my emotions played with.
                Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

• I saw those titles a few days a go...I wish that they hadn't changed the names..I mean, the title "Briar's Book" or "Sandry's Book" have absolutely nothing to do with the books!

I really don't like big murderers, and epidemics and sicknesses are one of my biggest fears, mostly because there is nothing you can do to stop it.

oh, and if you haven't seen TP's website... http://www.tamora-pierce.com/ There's a really cool link about how Bruce Coville and TP made Melting Stones and other Full Cast books. My fav. part is the interview with the two of them:

What was your most interesting/embarrassing/hilarious moment in the audiobook studio?

Tammy:Bruce: All of my most embarrassing moments involve directing Tammy . . .

and one other thing...Bruce Coville is doing a signing for has new book The Last Hunt today, at, of all places, Books of wonder in NYC!!
                  Last edited by 96bookworms; July 17, 2010, 12:06:04 PM. Reason: added stuff

Comment

Working...
                  X