No announcement yet.

What is your favorite series, other than YW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have any of you read the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde? I reccommend them if you like to play with language and some (contained) randomness I think you'd enjoy these. The first one, The Eyre Affair

Comment

The Pendragon books RULE! So does the Harry Potter Series, the Twilight saga, the Maximum ride series, and the ariborn series. Oh and the YW series.(Duh)

Comment

I love Pendragon too! Too bad the series ended.... Soldiers of Halla was amazing, although the ending sorta ticked me off. Still, you can't have everything perfect...

"Because I can."
        "'Because I can'! Ooh! What a bad***!"

"I say we build the bloody tunnel. What have we got to lose?"
        "Good question. What have we got to lose?"

"I control Halla."
        "Controlled. Past tense. Big difference."

-Pendragon: Soldiers of Halla, DJ MacHale

I read The Last Olympian too... That was awesome. the demigods vs Kronos in Manhattan was just cool. It was a great ending to that series.
        "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

I have so many favorite books. I lend books to my friend and she makes fun of me because I say, "That's my favorite book... and that's my favorite book too... and that one... and that one..."
          Here are a few series out of my head ("You certainly are." Abbot and Costello, anyone?)

The Hitchhiker books by Douglas Adams
          The Ender quartet by Orson Scott Card (ender's game, speaker for the dead, xenocide, children of the mind)
          The Hollow Kingdom trilogy by Claire B. Dunkle
          Emily of New Moon by L M Montgomery
          The books by Hilary McKay about the Casson Family (saffy's angel, indigo's star, permanent rose, caddy ever after, forever rose)
          the first three books of Madeleine L'Engle's Time Quintet (a wrinkle in time, a wind in the door, a swiftly tilting planet)
          George R R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
          The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan- yes, i like them both. I do like a song of ice and fire better though...

That's all for now, folks!
          Last edited by Cinnamon Wind; November 25, 2009, 09:16:04 PM.
          I know the answer! The answer lies within the heart of all mankind! The answer is twelve? I think I'm in the wrong building.
          -- Charles Shulz

Comment

My current favorites after YW are probably the Circle of Magic books (both quartets and the following books) by Tamora Pierce and the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathon Stroud, along with The Last Siege by him also. I read Heroes of the Valley and while I liked it, it just wasn't as strong in my opinion. (Though imagining the climax to the last boss fight music from Shadow of the Colossus made the scene awesome. I recommend doing it when your brain needs something epic to occupy it.) Also, the Kiesha'ra and Nyeusigrube series by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. Good vampire/shapeshifter books!

Comment

my favorite series

series that i finished
              My sister the vampire by Sienna Mercer books 1-4
              Harry potter books 1-7

series that are ongoing
              The faerie path by Frewin Jones books 1-4 book 5 coming out next year

others
              Little fur by by Isobelle Carmody
              the royal ballet school diaries by Alexandra Moss

Why i like them

my sister the vampire because its a really good story about sisters and has a different view on vampires
              harry potter because it was probably what got me into fantasy when i was younger
              the faerie path series because its so good and the princesses know how to use swords
              Little fur because its so neat the main character is an half elf half troll
              the royal ballet school diaries because its about girls who attend a ballet school and it gives a summary of some of the ballet steps in the back of each book ?

Comment

Cinnamon Wind: Have you read the other Orson Scott Card books? They are amazing too.
                "These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."-Groucho Marx

"What is scientific fact? An oxymoron. Science does not deal in facts. It deals in hypotheses, which are never fully and finally correct."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

NR: Nope, haven't read them yet. I hear they're good but he gets kind of racist and homophobic. True?
                  I know the answer! The answer lies within the heart of all mankind! The answer is twelve? I think I'm in the wrong building.
                  -- Charles Shulz

Comment

Umm they get a little racist but not homophobic that I can think of. The Bean series is probably my favorite.

"What is scientific fact? An oxymoron. Science does not deal in facts. It deals in hypotheses, which are never fully and finally correct."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

• Wizardprincess: The fifth in the Faerie Path is coming? Cool! Have you ever noticed how trilogies seldom stay trilogies? Like, the Faerie Path, Eragon, and apparently at the very beginning Kathryn Lasky only was going to write three Ga'hoole books, but it ended up 15.

I also have to add The Hunger Games, Maximum Ride, Song of the Lioness, and City of Bones to my never ending list of favorites. I think Max is my number one favorite character ever!
                      "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

• Originally posted by NickRyan View Post
                        Umm they get a little racist but not homophobic that I can think of. The Bean series is probably my favorite.
                        Does that mean that there are racist characters - or that the author has a racist bias (two completely different things, although they can be interrelated)?

Comment

• Zirsta: yup i can't wait because the end of the 4th one was kinda a cliffhanger and no i haven't noticed that since i read whatever i want and most of the time they are single books or a big series like YW but that's cool

Comment

• Spacepen: They make some remarks that seem to be a little racist Peter especially but not very many.

Comment

• Originally posted by NickRyan View Post
                              Spacepen: They make some remarks that seem to be a little racist Peter especially but not very many.
                              I guess a little more context might be helpful (to avoid a stream of one-liners which can get hard for others to make sense of)...

I think you're talking about Orson Scott Card's "Ender" universe, into which he's writing more and more interweaving complexities as time goes by.

I liked "Ender's Game" and "Speaker for the Dead" a lot. The first book takes place in a society on edge as it builds up to a war against a demonised alien adversary. Lots of overtones you could count as racist there. Add in the actual words used in the book, and it's not hard to add the homophobic label as well. One of the key points about Ender's siblings is that one's too ruthless and brutal, the other too gentle and forgiving. It's not surprising that the one comes across as fairly unpleasant. I'm sure he's intended to be.

It's probably best not to try to project any of that unpleasantness out of the universe in which the books are set, except perhaps as a lesson in how nasty things can get, given suitable incubation...
                              -- Rick.

Comment

• Ya it's Card's Ender universe but Bean's side of the story after the Bugger war. There are a bunch of wars on Earth between the major nations.

Comment

Working...
                                X