What is your favorite series, other than YW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite series, other than YW

As I said, what are some of your favorites? Please don't include YW, because we already know you like them, if you're here. Please include the series name and author.

Oh yes, there is already a topic on this in The Crossings, but it's closed. So this is for us who don't have premium membership and can't access it, like me...

I like Warriors by Erin Hunter, even though it's getting rather long winded; Fablehaven by Brandon Mull; Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan; Pendragon by D.J. MacHale, which is ending soon (May 2009) ; The Faerie Path Trilogy by Frewin Jones (for girls only, in my opinion); and The David Rain Series (The Fire Within, Icefire, Firestar, The Fires Eternal) by Chris D'Lacey. All of which I've read about twice. Yes, I'm a bookworm.

EDIT:
    Oh yes. You can also discuss the books you like, but don't get into too mean of fights about things like Harry Potter or YW, or anything like that.
    "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

I like many different series so here are a few:

TWILIGHT ~ Stephenie Meyer (love it), Harry Potter ~ J.K. Rowling, Blue Bloods ~ can't remember, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants ~ditto, and most books by Sarah Dessen
    Shoot for the moon. If you miss, at least you'll be among the stars. ~ Les Brown

Comment

• Door Books
      • George R.R. Martin: The Song of Ice and Fire
      • Dorothy Dunnett: The Lymond Chronicles/House of Niccolò
      • J.R.R. Tolkien: The Lord of the Rings
      • Dorothy L. Sayers: Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries
      • Alexander McCall Smith: The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, 44 Scotland Street, Isabel Dalhousie, and Professor Dr Moritz-Maria von Igelfeld
      • Laurie R. King: Mary Russell mysteries
      • Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child: Agent Prendergast series.
      • Patrick O'Brian: Aubrey/Maturin
      • Anthony Price: David Audley/Jack Butler
      • Somtow Sucharitkul: Aquiliad, Inquestor Tetralogy
      • Arthur Conan Doyle: Sherlock Holmes
      • Anne McCaffrey: Harper Hall Trilogy, Dragonriders of Pern
      • Mervyn Peake: Gormenghast trilogy
      • Terry Pratchett: Discworld
      • Philip Pullman: Sally Lockhart
      • Garth Nix: Lirael/Sabriel/Abhorsen
      • Lloyd Alexander: Prydain
      • Walter Farley: The Black Stallion
      • J.D. Robb: Eve Dallas

I'm sure I can think of a bunch more, but I mostly read by authors, not series.
      ---
      Addendum:
      • Neil Gaiman: The Sandman
      Last edited by Kathy Li; March 15, 2009, 01:14:19 AM. Reason: correted formatting
      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

*His Dark Materials- Pullman
        *Enders Game- Orson Scot Card
        *All of Mary Higgins Clark's books
        *Poison Study series- Marie V. Snyder
        *Inheritence Cycle- Chris Paolini
        *Harry Potter- J.K. Rowling
        *Twilight Saga- Stephenie Meyer
        *Jurassic Park- Michael Crichton
        Hmmm... thats all I can think of right now.... I'm also a fan of all the classics (Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, and of course, Shakespeare)
        "Doctors help you to live, the Arts give you a reason to live."

Comment

I often find I like only part of a series. Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead were good reads, the the remaining Ender series books go from forgettable to downright annoying. I quite liked Orson Scott Card's Tales of Alvin Maker series, though. Likewise, with Anne McCaffrey, I find the early Pern books are generally more enjoyable while the later ones often don't work so well for me, and Decision at Doona is one of my favourite books, but the rest of the Doona series are probably best avoided. Conversely, Terry Pratchett's books are almost always excellent.
          -- Rick.

Comment

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
            <LI>The Twilight Saga, by Stephenie Meyer
            <LI>Harry Potter books, by J.K. Rowling
            <LI>The Keys to the Kingdom series, by Garth Nix
            <LI>The Uglies Books, by Scott Westerfeld
            <LI>Phantom of the Opera, by Gaston Leroux (sp?)
            <LI>The Colour of Magic (I just started reading it, and I love it so far)
            <LI>The Game of Sunken Places by M. T. Anderson
            <LI>The Inheritance books (Trilogy? Cycle? Saga? Whatever?), by Christopher Paolini
            <LI>The Enchanted Forest Chronicles
            <LI>The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, by Arthur Conan Doyle
            <LI>The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books
            <LI>The Egypt Game, and other books by that author (whose name I cannot, for the life of me, remember)
            <LI>Many, many more...[/list]
            I like to read some childrens' books, because some of the teen and adult books don't have enough adventure.

There are a ton of other books that I would like to read, including many classics. Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, Romeo and Juliet, etc. (And no, I don't just want to read them because they were mentioned in Twilight.)
            Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

Definitely Harry Potter and the Inheritance Cycle.
              ---------------------------
              I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Call me nasa, it's a tradition.... don't ask...

Comment

Oh, where to begin.... I think I'll just go by the order in which I think I read the series.

<LI>The Magic Treehouse series, by Mary Pope Osborne.
                <LI>The Hardy Boys series, by Franklin W. Dixon
                <LI>The Harry Potter books, by J.K. Rowling
                <LI>The Inheritance Cycle, by Christopher Paolini
                <LI>The Chronicles of Narnia, by Clive Staples Lewis
                <LI>I'm not sure what to call it, but the series of books by Jeanne DuPrau: The City of Ember (movie coming out this month - 20th, maybe?), The People of Sparks, and The Profit of Yonwood. **I recommend this series to any YoungWizards fan (in other words, everyone here ).
                <LI>The Youngwizards series, by Diane Duane
                <LI>The Bartimaeus Trilogy, by Jonathan Stroud
                <LI>The Last Apprentice series, by Joseph Delaney

*This list subject to be edited next time I look at my book shelf and through my seventh and eighth grade archives of school work involving books
                "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Hmmm...

Twilight Saga- Stephenie Meyer
                  Blue Is For Nightmares- Laurie Stolarz
                  Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants- Ann Brashares
                  A Great and Terrible Beauty Trilogy- Libba Bray
                  Midnighters Trilogy- Scott Westerfields
                  Magic or Madness Trilogy- Justine Larbalestier
                  The Faerie Path Trilogy- Frewin Jones
                  Secrets of My Hollywood Life- Jen Calonita

there's more but I can't really remember... haha.
                  Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
                  Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
                  It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
                  Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

Eric: The Ember Series is one of my favorites... Another book just came out, it's called "The Diamond of Darkhold," and looks really good!

I love those books, they're insanely awesome!
                    Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

Oh, wow. Didn't expect everyone to jump and reply in... 23 hours.

Lazy Leopard: yes. I've noticed that I like the beginning of series', but not the enders. Let's say the Siverwing, Sunwing trilogy thing, I liked the first one, the second one was pretty good, and the third one was ok, and had a really bad ending.

kk: I think it's the Inheritance Cycle. Have you read Brisingr? All my friends jumped to read it, and the people who finished first started dropping spoilers and hints around, so everyone got mad at them. Oh, you've read The Egypt game? Yeah, that's a great book. I read it in second grade and loved it.

ERICG1793: C.S. Lewis' mane is Clive Jenkins? Oh, yeah, it is. *mentally kicks self* Must go back and re-read Here There Be Dragons. You read The Bartimeaus Trilogy? Aren't they great? Johnathan Stroud has a such a good sense of humor.

Emi: You read the Fearie Path? Have you gotten to the third one? If so... <span class="ev_code_WHITE">It has a really bad ending, don't you think?</span> It's good to know I'm not the only person who likes romance! All my friends think Im crazy.
                      "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

Originally posted by kk:
                        The Egypt Game, and other books by that author (whose name I cannot, for the life of me, remember)
                        The Egypt Game is by Zilpha Keatley Snyder.

Originally posted by Zirsta:
                        Oh, you've read The Egypt game? Yeah, that's a great book. I read it in second grade and loved it.
                        I love that book, too. But the sequel (The Gypsy Game) doesn't work as well for me. My favorite of her books is probably Black and Blue Magic.
                        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Oh and I forgot to mention in my earlier post.
                          *The Abhorson Trilogy. - Garth Nix
                          I loved that series!
                          "Doctors help you to live, the Arts give you a reason to live."

Comment

Emi: You read the Fearie Path? Have you gotten to the third one? If so... <span class="ev_code_WHITE">It has a really bad ending, don't you think? </span> It's good to know I'm not the only person who likes romance! All my friends think Im crazy.
                            Yes I thought that too! I was almost crying!! Haha.

I'm seeing a lot of cool series... I might go and pick some up!!
                            Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
                            Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
                            It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
                            Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kli6:
                              I love that book, too. But the sequel (The Gypsy Game), doesn't work as well for me. [QUOTE]

I agree - The Egypt Game was definately much better. The Gypsy Game was just a bad try at a sequel

Some other series I enjoy that I've seen as I read the lists more are:
                              -Blue is for Nightmares ~ Laurie Stolarz
                              -The Inheritance Books ~ Christopher Paolini (I still need to go buy the 3rd book!)
                              -The Chronicals of Narnia ~ C.S. Lewis
                              -and many more I can't think of right now.
                              Shoot for the moon. If you miss, at least you'll be among the stars. ~ Les Brown

Comment

Working...
                              X