No announcement yet.

What is your favorite series, other than YW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard that book "wicked" was supposed to be really good anyone here read it???
    -----
    sounds like everyone on this sight are well read soon to be if not already literatur/english majors...
    Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; January 2, 2009, 01:23:08 PM. Reason: merging double posts
    It is better to die on your feat then to live a life on your knees-Emiliano Zapata.
    That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.-dad

Comment

Haha, septimus. Well, we are on a book series' forums. Only bookworms would be members here... My friends all think I'm obsessed for being on the forums.

... Well maybe I like being obsessed... It's fun.
      "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

then it's good to finaly meat some people like me. I swear i don't think i know anyone (face to face) in my school who'd even pick up a book if it wasn't for a report.
        It is better to die on your feat then to live a life on your knees-Emiliano Zapata.
        That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.-dad

Comment

I don't think anyone's mentioned the Pit Dragon Trilogy by Jane Yolen yet. I haven't read them in years, but I remember them being phenomenal. I recently started reading the Percy Jackson books and I was pleasantly surprised at how awesome they are. The narrator's voice is absolutely spot-on. Robin McKinley should be repeated just because all of her books are absolutely phenomenal, The Blue Sword especially. =)

Comment

High five for Robin McKinley! I loved The Hero and the Crown. It's another book set in Damar, but far into the future from The Blue Sword.

Percy? Did you know the fifth and last book is coming May 5th? Yeah. I'm dying to read it, but dreading it at the same time. The series is to good to end...
            "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

Originally posted by Stormpetrel View Post
              I don't think anyone's mentioned the Pit Dragon Trilogy by Jane Yolen yet.
              Those books are incredible: Sadly my omnibus edition doesn't include the awesome anatomical artwork. (<- alliteration!)

I have very few favourite series that I reread a lot, but the here they are:
              - The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
              - The Baroque Cycle, Neal Stephonson (including Cryptonomicon)
              - Otherland, Tad Williams
              - The Deeds of Paksenarrion, Elizabeth Moon

There is a new series I'm reading currently, called Temeraire, by Naomi Novak. It's pretty spectacular so far (dragons in the Napoleonic wars!) but since it hasn't finished I'm not sure it will be a favourite. Another is a children's lit trilogy by Clem Martini, about crows - again, I haven't read the last book, so no judgements on favouritosity.
              I would EAT THE HELL outta that steak, then try to guilt the cow into dying just for being a cow. I'd be all "NOM NOM HEY COW YOU'RE NOT MEAT YET WHAT GIVES JERK" and then I'd glare and give it the silent treatment. Same goes for pigs and chickens... I would guilt a FLOCK of chickens into poultrycide in a heartbeat. "HEY YOU'RE A CHICKEN HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THAT"- Madhatte

Comment

my favs

sweep series :cate tiernan
                vampire kisses series :ellen sheriber
                vampire academy, frostbite, shadow kiss, all one series :richell mead
                autumn, winter, spring, summer, all one series comes together in WITCH SEASON 1 and 2 :jeff mariote
                twilight, new moon, eclipse, midnight sun, breaking dawn
                house of night series :
                wicked series :nancey holder
                revelers, univited, same author not together :amanda marrone
                blue bloods
                blue is for nightmares, white is for magic, silver is for secrets, red is for remembrance all one series
                inheritence circle
                ink exchange, wicked lovely,
                old magic
                harry potter series

Comment

bookdove: Oh man, I love BIFN!!! I finally found someone else who likes the series! Woo!

Um, I have mentioned my favorites in a previous post... and I have to add more to this post so it can be a little more "converstational". So, I really really want to read "City of Bones" and the rest of the series, because everyone has been telling me it's amazing. But I don't have time (or the money) to get the books!! And the library is always out of them.

So, have you guys read "City of Bones"? Is it good?
                  Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
                  Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
                  It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
                  Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

I love the Pit Dragon trilogy. I read that so long ago though, I barely remember it.
                    I also love Hitchiker's Guide, but I'm pretty sure that anyone who has read it loves it.

Wicked was VERY good, but not a light read. I wouldn't recommend it generally on here because I know there's a lot of younger readers and it gets a tad graphic in parts, as well as simply being rather grim. It's a little bit deeper than a lot of the things that have been mentioned thus far. But if you think it looks good, go for it.
                    The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
                    I promise not to funfun anymore
                    Be happy cause life is good

Comment

My favourite series' are

Sally Lockhart~Philip Pullman--About a young woman that behaves like a man (for their time) and her friends etc.

The Alchemist (and others)~Michael Scott-- About two teenager twins who have to save the world etc.

Alana~Tamora Peirce--a girl/young woman who becomes/trains to be a knight (OMG they are awesome!!!!!!!)

The Inheritance Cycle~Christopher Paolini--You know!!!!!

The Chronicles Of Narnia~C.S. Lewis--Again, you know!!!!!

LOTR~J.R.R Tolkien--Once more you know!!!!!

Percy Jackson and The Olympians~Rick Riordan--Greek gods are real and Percy is a young half blood...

Inkheart~Cornelia Funke--a girl and father and when they read, the things come true (like Toto)

aAnd I am soo excited for AWOM to come out in April along with a new Percy Jackson book in May!!

And many more!!
                      Last edited by willowtree; March 14, 2009, 08:09:50 PM.
                      "Just how have I failed to notice Neets is hot?" ~Kit

~Lover of great books ever since she could read~

Comment

Oh my, where to start?
                        Inkheart, by Cornelia Funke. A great book for pretty much anyone who likes to read.
                        Warriors, by Erin Hunter. Very entertaining, though the newest books are rather strange.
                        A Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy. One of the funniest books in existence.
                        Anything by Tamora Peirce.
                        The Enchanted Forest Chronicles. Kids books, but definitely worth reading anyway.
                        Shakespeare. Yes I'm a nerd, but they're really good.
                        Artemis Fowl. Might be kind of young for some people here, but very funny and well written.
                        Anything by Diana Wynne Jones.
                        Robert Frost. Great stuff if you like poetry.
                        The Drowning Of Stephen Jones. Amizing book. Don't read it if you can't deal with tough subjects.
                        I could list a bunch more, but I'll stop now.
                        -Dreams are nice, but sometimes you have to live in reality. -Perhaps, but dreams are MY reality.
                        -It's only impossibe if you believe it is.
                        -Existence is belief. I believe in magic, so it's real to me.

Comment

Silverclaw: Oh, yes, I think I forgot about Artemis Fowl! I like that series as well. I enjoy reading books about alternative lifestyles in current times. Jeanne DuPrau's (spelling?) series about the city of Ember really fascinates me. In fact, I watched the movie the other night. *Off to the appropriate thread*
                          "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Yeah, they're one of my favorite series. The 6th book is kind of wierd though. I mean, HollyxArtemis? What the heck? The Ember books are great. I just read the first again recently, and was surprised at how good it still was. It's so obnoxious how some people just write off books simply because they are geared towards a younger audience. There a lot of kids books out there that are worth reading.
                            Last edited by Silverclaw; March 12, 2009, 04:27:02 PM.
                            -Dreams are nice, but sometimes you have to live in reality. -Perhaps, but dreams are MY reality.
                            -It's only impossibe if you believe it is.
                            -Existence is belief. I believe in magic, so it's real to me.

Comment

(Slight Artemis Fowl spoilers.)

Originally posted by Silverclaw View Post
                              Yeah, they're one of my favorite series. The 6th book is kind of wierd though. I mean, HollyxArtemis? What the heck?
                              I was so shocked when Eoin Colfer started writing Holly/Artemis so blatantly. Ever since the third book, I felt like he was throwing in little hints, but I never thought we'd see anything concrete. I'm still not sure what to make of it, really.

Comment

Hmm here's a few of my favourite series/books (some aren't part of a series).

-Graceling by Kristen Cashore
                                -Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
                                -The Crazy/Loose Series by Tara Janzen (romance series)
                                -Charles de Lint novels and short stories
                                -The NightCreature Novels by Lori Handeland (romance series)
                                -A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket (I have really been reading these the last few years, but every once in a while I try to pick them up again. Got to half way through the tenth book)
                                -Harry Potter (haven't read book 6 or 7, used to be my favourite years ago, now somewhat unsatisfied with it).
                                -Wicked by Gregory McGuire (I think that's the right name...)

I've read a lot more, but I just can't remember them all at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                                X