Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the first line on the 46th page of the book closest you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Only when she mounts the stage and they ask for volunteers, all you can hear is the wind whistling through the decrepit buildings around her. There's no one willing to take her place."

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. The line starts at the bottom of page 45, and contains that sentence and the next one since it's the end of the paragraph.

Comment

• "Anyway, since when are you such a cursed light sleeper? The time was that we had to dump buckets of water on you to get you to crack an eyelid."

The first part of the quote started on 45, but I felt like I should but the whole thing in there.

The Will of the Empress by Tamora Pierce
      Last edited by wizardsrreal; March 30, 2009, 07:59:35 PM.
      Dai stiho cousins
      ~~~Ezra

Comment

• Double Trouble Squared

Liberty's thoughts were following a different path altogether.....

Double Trouble Squared - by Kathryn Lasky - a cute story about two sets of twins who end up solving mysteries in various places in the world - this one takes place in London, the next story in Florida, and the last one in New Mexico. They're quick reading and recently republished after having been out of print. I found them at Borders.com, but they're published by Harcourt.
        There is Always DEEP Shadow where there is MUCH Light!
        "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

• "[...] Among the poems I read this morning were thirty sonnets by David Gray, a young Scotchman who died of consumption December 3, 1861."

From the 47th letter in "Letters of Wallace Stevens," a library book at my father's house. Selected and edited by Holly Stevens.
          From your friendly neighborhood wizard, Poliester.

Comment

• Let's see. Page 46 on the book closest to me...

The word "bear," for instance, can refer to a rather husky mammal found in the woods, as in the sentence "The bear moved quietly toward the camp counselor, who was too busy putting on lipstick to notice," but it can also refer to how much someone can handle, as in the sentence "The loss of my camp counselor is more than I can bear."
            .... Ah, Snicket. Keepin' it classy with the almost-run-ons.

Comment

• Lheena: What one is that? I'm not sure if I recognize it. (I read 1 through 9 of SoUE and about half of 10)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tsakaki View Post
                Lheena: What one is that? I'm not sure if I recognize it. (I read 1 through 9 of SoUE and about half of 10)
                You wouldn't recognize it, then, since it's from Book the Thirteenth: The End.

Comment

• Lheena: Man...now I kinda miss Snicket....it's been a long time since I've read any of them....

Just to stay on-topic:

"Get the book? You idiot. We need the girl," she heard Bruno reply."We don't even know if the book is here, and there are forty-seven miles, miles,you idiot, of bookcases in the Denver Public Library."

Crazy Wild-Tara Janzen.

Comment

• Here is the book nearest me:

"But see? Now I'm the bad guy!" I protested. "I'm put in the position of saying no, and I hate that!"

-Dangerously Alice by Philis Renolds Naylor
                    Ars longa, vita brevis
                    (Art is long, life is brief) -- Seneca

Comment

• Midaq Alley by Naguib Mahfouz

He frequently shook his head sadly and said, "What's wrong with hashish? It gives peace to the mind and comfort to life and apart from both these facts, it is an excellent aphrodisiac!"
                      This is from Midaq Alley by Naguib Mahfouz. It was very controversial in the middle east because of the themes in the book. The Egyptian author was the victim of attempted assassinations, which is evidence enough for his rebelious nature and his desire to tell the truth.

I find this book fascinating and I recommend it to any high schooler and above. The themes may be too adult for certain audiences, but I am a Junior in high school and the book was assigned to me in school, so it should be appropriate for anyone my age.
                      From your friendly neighborhood wizard, Poliester.

Comment

• There isn't a page 46, so page 47 is:
                        "Edward of England sprawled in the great wooden bath in the private chamber of the archbishop's palace."
                        Satan's Fire, P.C. Doherty. (note: this is my dad's book!)
                        "Just how have I failed to notice Neets is hot?" ~Kit

~Lover of great books ever since she could read~

Comment

• "The question had heated even Leia's blood, and Han immediately went into full boil." - Pg 46, Star Wars: The Swarm War.
                          Duct tape is like the Force. It has a Light Side, a Dark Side, and it binds the Universe together.
                          "Oh. So...what, you liked it 'cause it was shiny?" - Logan Cale
                          "I'm sixteen. Of course I'm hungry." - Ben Skywalker

Comment

• "Take a seat, make yourself at home," he continued, waving to a chair next to him.
                            "A gentlemen would've risen when a lady entered the room." I paused by the seat but did not sit down.
                            "Well, when one comes in I'll make sure I stir myself."

-Den of Thieves, Julia Golding

Comment

• "...Romans, whose neighbours they were. The Ligurians live in the far..."

~"Aemilius Paullus" Roman Lives, Plutarch

Haha, great dramatic fantasy rea--hang on. This is history. Never mind. =P
                              ~Sharky

+Member of the STTF (Save the Topic Foundation)
                              +Member of the FBI (Forum Bureau of Investigation)

Comment

• "But there could be no secrets here on Legis XV." - The Risen Empire, Scott Westerfeld. Wow, that says nothing out of context. It's talking about the sentient computer taking over everything computerized on the planet.

Comment

Working...
                                X