No announcement yet.

Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short historical note: in case you were wondering about PM editing up there, it's my fault. [headdesk]. I thought I was reply/quoting Worlebird's article, but I'd accidentally wiped it out by editing it (moderators have the edit button on every post). Luckily, Peter found a copy in his browser cache and restored it. Anyhow, on to the offending article...

I'm just gonna use colors for quoting. <span class="ev_code_BLUE">blue is me</span> and <span class="ev_code_GREEN">green is worlebird</span>.

<span class="ev_code_blue">But then I freak because a) they don't explain he's wearing a helmet for the same reason that Magento does: to block Prof. X's scanning.</span>

<span class="ev_code_green">Yeah, but that wouldn't have really fit into the film. it would have been a real non-sequitur for anyone who wasn't familiar with the comics. Besides, I thought "to keep my face pretty" was a hilarious answer.</span>
    It was, and I know that from the film POV, it makes sense, but some line between Magneto & Juggernaut, say, something about getting their helmets from the same tailor or something would've made me a lot happier.

<span class="ev_code_blue">And b) because Prof. X walks right by him. Not even recognizing that he's just walked by his own bullying half-brother.</span>

<span class="ev_code_green">Again, backstory would have been needed to even make this make any sense. Not enough time, and not enough significance to the story being told.</span>

Yes, and no. Again, from the film POV, all this makes sense, but from a comic book continuity sense, it really really doesn't. That would have been like having Scott walk by Alex. In this situation, I think they could have just as easily gotten a different supervillain from the rogue's gallery--Blob or someone, and avoided the problem altogether. The reason you use Juggernaut is because of his relationship with Prof. X. Otherwise he's just another thug.

<span class="ev_code_blue">I freak because Colossus/Peter isn't Russian.</span>

<span class="ev_code_green">Well, we don't actually know that. He just doesn't have a heavy accent. He doesn't say very much in the film.</span>

He's supposed to have an accent. Hell, Storm is supposed to have an accent. So is Rogue. The fact that none of them do en masse is something that distresses me. One of the reasons we liked reading X-Men in the day is that it wasn't American-centric. It's an attitude that could bear a bit more representation in US culture.

<span class="ev_code_blue">That Pyro isn't an Aussie.</span>

<span class="ev_code_green">I'll give you that one. He talks a lot and definitley doesn't have the accent.</span>

Of course, that's probably the one where I have the least license to quibble. He started out as an Englishman and only later became an Aussie through mistaken continuity errors.

<span class="ev_code_blue">That nobody actually calls Warren "Angel" at any point.</span>

<span class="ev_code_green">He just BARELY joined. He has apparently been kind of "in the closet" because of his dad for quite some time now. He isn't even an X-Man yet, just a new student..... </span>

Again another HUGE problem for me, because the original team in the comic was Scott, Jean, Warren, Hank, and Bobby. Mixing the old and new X-Men, and making the older guys YOUNGER drives me nuts. Bobby and Warren should have the same age and status as Hank. But they don't. Sersious my-brain-hurts moments ensue because of this.

<span class="ev_code_green">At least the characters were in there, and relatively intact.</span>

Except that they're not the same Bobby (who generally wisecracks as much as Peter Parker in the Silver Age stuff) and Warren (the ladies' man) we've ever seen in the comics.

<span class="ev_code_blue">That the Phoenix Saga Doesn't Go That Way.</span>

<span class="ev_code_green">Well, the way it REALLY goes would be a little long and confusing for a movie, don't you think? </span>

Oh, definitely. But then why use it at all? Why not just stick with the Genosha storyline? The entire Phoenix subplot could've been dropped from the movie, and led to a far clearer and cleaner narrative.

<span class="ev_code_green">At least they got some of the pieces in there, and they were willing to make a popular character into a major villian.</span>

Yes, but compared to what it was like when the comic came out, and Marvel was willing to KILL one of their most beloved long-termed characters ... sorry, but what the moviemakers did is like a candle against the arclight of the original Phoenix Saga to me--and absolutely NONE of that got in. And they used the third-generation retcon version of the story.

<span class="ev_code_blue">That nobody mentions Moira McTaggart and Prof. X used to be lovers.</span>

<span class="ev_code_green">She's in there for a whole 2 minutes. What do you expect?</span>

A difference in manner as to how they greet each other. From the way they're presented, you'd think they'd never met in person and only corresponded over technical papers. That Moira's had a son by Charles without telling him would have certainly changed how she greeted him. A smile on Prof. X's face would've been enough. I'm not asking for the full-blown story, just the feeling that the full-blown story is still back there somewhere.

<span class="ev_code_blue">That Rogue doesn't have a Southern accent.</span>

<span class="ev_code_green">Sure she does. What X-Men movies have you been watching? It just isn't the major over the top accent that she sports in the comics, complete with words like "shugah". Considering Ana Paquin is a Canadian raised in New Zealand, I'm glad she kept the accent subtle. Trying to do a heavy accent would probably have sounded ridiculous.</span>

But that's my problem. "In the comics" is what's set in my head in concrete. It remains that that's not Rogue's accent from the comics.

<span class="ev_code_blue">That they didn't put Callisto into the street gangs that Magneto finds.</span>

<span class="ev_code_green">Uhhh.... actually... That woman who can sense where a mutant is and what their powers are was Callisto.
    Yeah, I know. That one bugged me too.</span>

Yup. You know what they were going for, but they miss by so much, when it wouldn't have taken a much more effort to get it right.

<span class="ev_code_blue">Where'd Nightcrawler go?</span>

<span class="ev_code_green">Maybe he went home. *chuckle*</span>

Or Alan Cummmings had more Broadway gigs to fulfill and couldn't free up his schedules. (grin).

<span class="ev_code_green">Better question, where'd Beast come from? All of a sudden he's Secretary of Mutant affairs, and we never even saw him as an X-Man. He used to be one, I guess, since he comments that the suit used to fit him.</span>

Actually, that didn't bug me at all, because he was blue, hairy post-lab-accident Beast. At that point, he was long past being an X-Man and well into being an Avenger. [grin].

<span class="ev_code_green">Honestly, I don't think the film's biggest problem was leaving out comic book continuity.</span>

Oh, I agree. As I said above, it's my personal problem, because unlike the majority of people going to see the film, I have so much of that continuity stuffed behind the eyeballs. To all the newbies, it's not even a hiccup on the radar.

<span class="ev_code_green">... The film's biggest problem was strength of the internal story.
    Not that it was bad, I mean, I enjoyed it. But it could have been better.</span>

The eternal cry of Hollywood big-budget movies: too many people worried about making a hit and not enoguh people worried about making a good movie. (grin). And at any rate, it's still a better X-Men movie than the kind of spandex-laden thing we thought we were going to get back in the '80s.
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• And speaking of comic-book (er, kinda. It relies more on Superman I and II canon, admittedly) movies, I have never been so glad that I no longer have to wait six months for the blockbusters as I was last night when I saw Superman Returns. holy asdfghjkl, <STRIKE>bat</STRIKE>superman. It is fabulous, and highly recommended; I totally forgive Singer for not doing X3 because he did THIS instead.
      Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• Yes, I thought Superman Returns was pretty good. Although Lex Luthor's whole plot to take over the world or whatever was...pretty lame. And the <span class="ev_code_WHITE">just add water and stir crystals</span> were, too. Oddly enough, I liked it anyway, since <span class="ev_code_WHITE">that wasn't the main plot anyway.</span>

Blue~

Comment

• Although Lex Luthor's whole plot to take over the world or whatever was...pretty lame.
          But I think that kinda fits with the tone of the first two movies, you know? And I thought the <span class="ev_code_WHITE">crystals weren't that bad... kind of funny, at least. :P My problems, such as they were, were more with Bosworth's Lois, which didn't enthrall. But OMG totally worth it for Supes!</span>
          Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• Sure, it did fit with the first two movies. That doesn't make it any less lame, though

And you're right, <span class="ev_code_WHITE">Lois was not the most enthralling</span> . However, check out IMDB trivia and the list of other possible people in line to play her. I think, of the choices they apparently had, they made did the best they could. I would've absolutely hated any of those others.

While you're there, for kicks, check out the people who wanted to or were considered to play Superman. Oh man. It is an awful, awful list.

I think overall they did a decent job of casting.

Blue~

Comment

• Has Anyone seen Lake House? Good movie, I had heard it was bad, but it was a really cute movie...
              ---------------------------
              I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Call me nasa, it's a tradition.... don't ask...

Comment

• I saw Superman Returns in IMAX 3-D. It made it a lot more fun when everybody in the theatre had to put on and take off their 3d glasses for certain key scenes. It also made the effects much more impressive. I enjoyed it, if only to see that Smallville's been using the same Daily Planet exteriors. And everything was so pretty.

Yes, I saw Lake House. It was fun, but waaay too predictable for me--I have probably read/seen far too many time-travel romances. I pretty much saw the whole plot laid out in front of me at one very very early point in the movie. OTOH, probably a better pairing of Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock than Speed.

My fave movie of the summer so far, though, is Cars. I've seen it twice now, and will probably go at least once more, I love it so very very much. It's the usual amazing Pixar mix of insanely mindblowingly good cgi tech, along with a great story, terrific characters, and some of the world's best animation. And it's so specfically designed for gearheads. I mean, you can tell make model and year on some of the cars. And the voices they snuck into the background! OMG. I nearly died when I recognized who was doing the voices of the Rust-Eze brothers, and then again, the Ferrari who goes into Luigi's shop.

I so can't wait for Ratatouille.
                New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• I've seen Cars Cars...it was soo good XD. I wanted to see it again but I haven't been able to go. I have plans with friends to go see Lady in the Water when it comes out. Later we might go see The Devil Wears Prada but it depends if we have time...
                  Just my luck, they ran out of cookies again!

I have a demon cat that was spawned from Satan.

Comment

• PIRATES II- Nooooo! Slightly depressed now....Doesn't want to spoil it....*cries* VERY GOOD MOVIE!
                    ---------------------------
                    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Call me nasa, it's a tradition.... don't ask...

Comment

• omg...pirates 2...LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!You NEED to go see it...and i totally aagree with Not So Silent One it is really sad because...no i don't want to spoil...but omg...I saw it Friday and I'm still trying to collect my thoughts...I'll probably go see it again soon...but I don't think I'll be able to wait for ten months to see three...there is a HUGE cliffhanger and LOTS of questions to be answered...but overall, this movie is great...better than the first...it's funnier, better plot,and more drama...but now I hate every character except Will, because *spoilers*[<span class="ev_code_WHITE">Jack is really Elizabeth cheats on Will with Jack, Jack trades Will to Davey Jones meaning he would die, Norrington is a stuck-up idiot, and the new character, Lord Beckett, deserves to die!!!!!</span>] So, all I have to say is, Pirates 3 had better be REALLY good and tie up all the loose ends!!!!!
                      Worlds biggest fangirl...future star of broadway...dictionary for the forum...in love with way to may fictional characters...You can call me Nate, everyone else does...I wonder if, when I finish my book, I'll have an awesome website with cool forums

Comment

• I liked the movie but the ending kinda engh. they defeintly could have spent a little less time on the swordfights. But overall it was a good movie.
                        (\__/) "Be amazing"
                        (+'.'+)
                        (")_(")

Comment

• OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm screaming like a freakin bashee cuz i just read the spoiler and haven't see the movie WHAT that can't be true, OMG i'm gonna explode i knew i shouldn't have read it why am i so stupid....???!!! AND I'M IN FREAKIN JORDAN, I CAN'T SEE UNTIL I GET BACK!!!!!! *takes DEEP breath* damn...

-peri

Comment

• PIRATES II- It is very good A+++
                            and romantic (sort of) at the end
                            and funny
                            and .... *Slash starts to blab on*
                            SPOILER!
                            Oh and does Jack sparrow die?
                            SPOILER END
                            p.s And I over heard that Superman was too long and sort of ... dumb

Comment

• Pirates II: Excellent. Saw it twice. Perfectly aesome(ly gross. woo-hoo!)

On another note, lookie what I found out today:
                              Newcomer Dakota Blue Richards has landed the coveted role of Lyra Belacqua after an extensive casting search conducted across England and numerous follow-up screen testings. Says Pullman in regards to casting, "I'm delighted with the casting of Dakota Blue Richards as Lyra. As soon as I saw Dakota's screen test, I realized that the search was over. Dakota has just the combination of qualities that make up the complicated character of this girl, and I very much look forward to seeing the film take shape, with Dakota's Lyra at the heart of it."
                              Looks like the Golden Compass is finally getting back on its feet! Woo-hoo!
                              However, we're all probably going to have to wait a year or two....but...that's ok. i can live with that.
                              just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

• Minor spoiler for Cars (my husband pegged it first. He has the "ear"):

The Rust-Eeze guys are voiced by <span class="ev_code_WHITE">Click and Clack, from Car Talk.</span>

There were a lot of guest voice spots. I think that most of the famous cars were voiced by actual famous drivers. Not being intimately familiar with the racing circuits, that's just a guess on my part. The credits scrolled by too fast for me to read (and that's saying something!)

When they start releasing memorabilia from the movie, I want one of the cels looking out over the Radiator Springs valley from the Wheel Well. I've actually seen views like that!
                                "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                                "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

Working...
                                X