No announcement yet.

Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree with Birdhead. WARNING: SPIDERMAN 2 SPOILER AHEAD!

Le Bad Physics alert: If you throw a fusion reaction into water, even the East River, you will HELP it, because it's hot enough to break down the water into hydrogen and oxygen, which will catalyze the reaction, not drown it. Same reason why certain chemical fires should not be doused with water.

Yes, it's a superhero movie, but let's not go overboard on flouting physical laws, unless you invoke arcane abilities.
    "Ye cannae change the laws o' physics!"
    "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
    "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

• Oh, thank goodness, someone agrees with me. Ever since I saw it I've told people that "I really liked Spiderman 2, not much substance but it was fun and omigodTobeyMaguiretookhisshirtoff (which is practically worth the ticket price all by itself) BUT, Bad Science! Hello!" I then have to deal with people backing away from me strangely.

*sigh* I'm not even a real Physics geek...
      Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• I might be goin to see it today, it just depends on what happens with my schedule. i am supposed to be going to a Folk Concert at my Ren Fair site, but I don't know what time it is going on. Sad. I hate being up in the air!
        Ask not for whom the dog barks. It barks for thee.
        :wigglesmile:
        And really bad eggs...
        Go salaí cúnna ifrinn do chuid calóga arbhair.
        S.P.R.B.I (Semi Puke Related
        Barf Incident)
        Weak Sauce!

Comment

• Didn't know about that physics fact... But then I'm only just entering 8th grade...
          "omigodTobeyMaguiretookhisshirtoff" -Tui
          So? He's not even remotely good looking... Least not in my opinion... But then that's me *shrug*
          King Arthur was pretty good... But some of it was wrong according to the legend... But then, they weren't trying to base it off the legend, they wanted to make it "different". *shrug*
          *Agent~M*
          "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
          "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
          "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
          "I could live

Comment

• Which Arthur legend? There are so many... I haven't seen the film (and probably won't) but it appears to be a melding of some of the elements of the time in which a historical Arthur would have existed, and some of the elements people familiar with the myth expect. I've already had my (figurative) ear bent by a Roman-buff friend sputtering about the inaccuracies, but then you should hear him on Troy.

The History Channel recently did a halfway decent overview of the Arthur mythos, but it's a complicated subject and really requires more than two hours for anything in-depth. Personally, I always think that the man, if he did exist, would be completely boggled by what has been attached to his name over time.

That said, ya never know who might turn up in Britain's greatest hour of need. If Winston Churchill didn't already qualify, that is.

Comment

• "Which Arthur legend? There are so many."- Quill
              Um... I'm not very good with the legends of King Arthur, but it was the basics... like spoiler: <span class="ev_code_WHITE">Lancelot dies before he and Gwennivere (sp?) betray Arthur</span> that and maybe little tiny bits are all I know about the Arthur legends. Yeah... It said that Arthur was Roman but I never heard that... But like I said, they were trying to make it "different."
              Ooh! You have a friend that likes to talk about inaccuracies in movies? Hee hee.. you should me talk about Timeline...
              *Agent~M*
              "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
              "I could live

Comment

• I just watched Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone yesterday and it was very cool! The actors looked so little I just wanted to hug and kiss them all, (yes I want to hug and kiss Rupert Grint now but that's beside the point.) I haven't seen the first HP movie in a long time so it was really cool to watch them!
                penguins will rule the world.

Comment

• hee hee, I know! It's so funny cuz their voices are a lot higher then in the other two. There's a big difference between Rupert Grint in Sorcerers Stone and Rupert Grint in Chamber of Secrets. He's taller in Chamber of Secrets and his voice got deeper.
                  *Agent~M*
                  "I could live

Comment

• Ugh. Emma Watson looks so different. So does Harry. Harry actually looks cute in the first one, (little kid cute.) In the rest he just looks weird to me.
                    I'm still laughing at POA in 15 minutes. It's the funniest thing, ecspecially when Harry said "that's okay, i still have to practice my teenage rage for the next movies."

Speaking of deep voices there was this one kid who's been in my class every year and he would never talk. This year he decided to and his voice was waywaywaywayway low. Seriously it was kind of odd sounding.

Comment

• Really? I like Harry better as an older Harry. I think he has more depth. Except the scene where is is supposed to be crying in PoA is really lame. It looks like he is smiling!
                      And really bad eggs...
                      Barf Incident)
                      Weak Sauce!

Comment

• I know! That was the first scene I noticed in all the movies that was really really bad. He looks like he is trying not to laugh. Rupert Grint has to be the best actor in those movies. Daniel isn't good at all, and Emma, eh. I watched Harry potter and the Sorccers Stone (sp?) on abc family the other night. It was the network premire or something like that. They had deleted scences in it. Some of them should have kept.
                        ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
                        **Neets**
                        CAUTION: Being a member of YW forum may result in loss of sanity.

Kathy, me and G - I love you, chime, I hate you, chime, I can't live with out you.

Comment

• Yeah that's where I saw it. The chamber of secrets is the funniest of the three. Daniel Radcliffe cannot act if his life depended on it. He's a horrid actor! One of my friends came over and she was making all these little comments about things he messed up on, and I was laughing SO hard!!!

Comment

• I think one of the things that bug me the most about Daniel is he faciel expressions. Like when he laughs the way hs mouth works. I dunno. It bothers me. Hehe...Harry Potter...bother...hehehe. Potter Puppet Pals rules!
                            And really bad eggs...
                            Barf Incident)
                            Weak Sauce!

Comment

• I saw King Arthur and I quited liked it in that Thirteenth Warrior kind of way. I liked what they were trying to do, historically, and as long as you aren't set expecting Arthur mythos, rather than a fictionalized account of what possibly could be the historical basis for Arthur, you're fine.

The thing I thought was funniest in the movie was the "as-appropriate-as-possible" ethnic casting. All the Romans were played by Italian actors, all the "Woads" by Irish actors, and the leader of the Normans was played by a Swede. I thought that was funny.

So, who's gonna go see I, Robot? I'm tempted, but it looks absolutely NOTHING like the Asimov stories, even though they're using some of the same names. And the chick they've got playing Susan Calvin is so completely wrong (I mean, for a start, isn't Calvin in her forties or fifties in the books?). I saw some HBO making-of thing on it, and she sounded like she had real trouble getting her tech-heavy lines out...

Ah, well, at least the book's back in print for cheap.
                              New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• The 13th Warrior looks good (I saw an older movie a few days ago that showed the previews), which is surprising seeing as it's based off of "Eaters of the Dead" by Michael Crichton.
                                *Agent~M*
                                "I could live

Comment

Working...
                                X