No announcement yet.

What music do you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really love The Academy Is..., as well as Cobra Starship, Metro Station, My Chemical Romance, Beat Union, Sherwood, The Barenaked Ladies, The Arrogant Worms, Moxy Fruvous, Motion City Soundtrack, Eisley, and some others I can't remember right now. I also like really cheesy rap music like Luvbeat and 3OH!3, and crazy techno-ish music like Hot Chip. I also just got into this local band called Green Sweater Society. If you can, listen to them cause I know the drummer and he's really cool.
    The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
    I promise not to funfun anymore
    Be happy cause life is good

Comment

Originally posted by kk View Post
      (Chasing Quaffles, Draco and the Malfoys, The Moaning Myrtles).
      Originally posted by Cress View Post
      The Barenaked Ladies, The Arrogant Worms, Moxy Fruvous...
      You two should check out Lemon Demon. It's the same guy that does the Potter Puppet Pals (and has done a few Yuletide Balls with Harry and the Potters, iirc.)
      Also give They Might Be Giants a listen. They're my favourite band and do a lot of interesting things with melody (the Malcolm in the Middle theme is pretty indicative of their style) - think Barenaked Ladies with less pop and more accordians :3
      Logan Whitehurst and The Junior Science club was pretty amazing, but Logan died a few years ago so that's awful.

Other then the weird alternafolk stuff (Franz Ferdinand, Eels, ^) I'm also a fan of the classic california punk (Bad Religion, Nofx, Sleater Kinney) and female singer-songwriters / folk artists (Ani DiFranco, Dar Williams).

edit: I forgot I have a soft spot for cheesy Danish techno. Aqua, Toybox, The Cartoons, that kind of thing. (And Ruslyana, but they're Ukrainian).

ps; I liked Kimya Dawson before Juno was cool. <.< b
      Last edited by Jacq; February 1, 2009, 03:25:52 AM.
      I would EAT THE HELL outta that steak, then try to guilt the cow into dying just for being a cow. I'd be all "NOM NOM HEY COW YOU'RE NOT MEAT YET WHAT GIVES JERK" and then I'd glare and give it the silent treatment. Same goes for pigs and chickens... I would guilt a FLOCK of chickens into poultrycide in a heartbeat. "HEY YOU'RE A CHICKEN HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THAT"- Madhatte

Comment

I love They Might Be Giants! They just won a grammy. I also like Franz Ferdinand, and my boyfriend is obsessed with Bad Religion, although I haven't gotten into it much.
        The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
        I promise not to funfun anymore
        Be happy cause life is good

Comment

I'm mostly interested in rock music. There are some rap songs that like but only a few. I literally mean like only 3. I also like alternative.

Some of the bands/songs that I like:
          Seether, Taking Back Sunday, MCR, Trapt, 3 Doors Down, Three Days Grace, Lifehouse, Metallica, Nirvana, Nickelback, Linkin Park, Evanescence, Bullet For My Valentine, Atreyu, Crossfade, The All-American Rejects, Disturbed, Theory of a Deadman(like only one song), Staind, Rise Against, Paramore, The Rolling Stones, Puddle of Mud, Queen, Papa Roach, Panic! At The Disco, I also like Black Betty by Ram Jam. I like disturbia by Rihanna, and Addicted by Saving Abel. I like Heartless by Kanye West, Here(In Your Arms) by Hellogoodbye. Fallout boy
          Visit KasChat Network!

Comment

“I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”
            -Groucho Marx

Comment

&lt;3

I loooove music! I probably couldn't live a day with out it! I listen to a lot of different types of music but mostly christian rock/alternative/amazingness. I really like this band called Deas Vail cause they have a really good sound and the guy singer can sing really high really well. I also love Underoath, Switchfoot, Paramore, Fireflight, Flyleaf, Death Is Not Welcome Here, Emery, and tons of others! I don't know what I would do without music, it's so amazing and inspiring.
              Dai stiho cousins
              ~~~Ezra

Comment

I like a LOT of different kinds of music, but my favorite would have to be pop! I also like piano music, have you guys heard Bella's Lullaby? It is SOOO beautiful! I am learning it!
                I love to read and write stories!

Comment

I love sixtes music, soft rock, alternative, etc.

u get the idea.

My faves are the Beattles and Fall Out Boy.

Oh, yeah, you guys should check out this awesome 90's guy named Lou Bega. He is awesome.

Ciao.
                  The Promised Land is a State of Being. - Me

Comment

Oh man I thought I finally got Mambo #5 out of my head forever in 2002.

I am posting here because I got tickets to see The Arrogant Worms on April 8th. This will be the 4th time I've been to their show, but the first time with a live philharmonic orchestra playing backup. I'm stoked!
                    Edit!!!

As of March 9th, one of the band members is away because his wife just had twins. There is a good chance that at the show I'm going to, he will be replaced with MARK FORD. Formerly of Moxy Fruvous! SQUEE!
                    I'm so excited I could projectile vomit!
                    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9F_XHb81N0"]YouTube - Moxy Fruvous - My Baby Loves a Bunch of Authors[/ame]
                    Fru hasn't toured since around 2000, so I had sort of resigned myself to never seeing or hearing from them every again. This is so great!
                    Last edited by Jacq; March 20, 2009, 02:51:00 PM.
                    I would EAT THE HELL outta that steak, then try to guilt the cow into dying just for being a cow. I'd be all "NOM NOM HEY COW YOU'RE NOT MEAT YET WHAT GIVES JERK" and then I'd glare and give it the silent treatment. Same goes for pigs and chickens... I would guilt a FLOCK of chickens into poultrycide in a heartbeat. "HEY YOU'RE A CHICKEN HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THAT"- Madhatte

Comment

Oh no... now I have Mambo #5 stuck in my head now... Thanks nelina and Jacq

I've been listening to a lot of Dragonforce lately. Its not my usual style of music, but there's something catchy about it. That and Hammerfall (with a bit of Disney thrown in for good measure).

Comment

I'm officially in love with John Mayor, and I've been listening to a lot of Frank Sinatra.
                        Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

Stiff Upper Lip

My favorite genres are movie scores and classical. Movie scores because I naturally love them, and classical because I play in an orchestra and it's sometimes similar to soundtracks. I love John Williams and Joe Hisashi scores the most.
                          That being said, I also like radio-strength rock. If I'm in the mood, I'll find something heavy, but no one would say my tastes here were amazing.
                          However, my favorite band is Coldplay, and they are amazing to me
                          "A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."
                          -Oscar Wilde

Comment

My dad let me borrow his CD of The Monkees the other day, and I really enjoy their music. A friend of mine says that their song "Daydream Believer" is a mindworm, that can get endlessly stuck in your head... and that's kinda true...

I now own pretty much every album by Journey, and I'm enjoying a lot of their stuff. It's very amazing. I've gotten most of my friends obsessed with it.

I've been a little obsessed with Monty Python music... Like, The Lumberjack Song, and Always Look on the Bright Side of Life... I have karaoke versions of them, even!
                            Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

I'm like several others, I love soundtracks, and original Broadway (and some off Broadway) musicals. I love Into the Woods, Beauty and the Beast Broadway, though the movie one is good too;

I also like Folk songs (like Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot) and I love New Age music (David Lanz and David Arkenstone are two of my favorites!)

I love Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Mannheim Steamroller; Enya and Clannad (her family)

I've got a Tarzan soundtrack in Spanish and some of the other songs in Spanish too.

I've been told I have a good voice (though I wonder if the people have been drinking or what not when they say it, I just love to sing I don't think I'm as good as someone that gets on TV or anything like that, but I was in my high school musicals)
                              There is Always DEEP Shadow where there is MUCH Light!
                              "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

I'm a showtunes geek, too, so a lot of my fave stuff tends to come under the "singers and standards" banner. Lately, I've been listening to the Ella Fitzgerald Songbooks a lot. Mostly the Cole Porter and George Gershwin ones.

Also, for a more contemporary take of the same style of music, I have a handful of Squirrel Nut Zippers albums. They kinda sorta do big band type stuff. Only not. The Wikipedia page describes their music as an "eclectic fusion of Delta blues, gypsy jazz, 1930s-era swing, klezmer, and other styles". That seems pretty accurate to me. And I love their cover of "Under the Sea."

Because I'm unduly influenced by movie soundtracks , I also like Michelle Branch. I am a little weirded out, though, that she made me go to the country music aisle when she formed half of the Wreckers and they made Stand Still, Look Pretty. But it's a fun album.

Another singers/standards album I love (may be out of print) is Judy Kuhn's album of Jule Styne songs, Just in Time. The other "Broadway Diva" albums I'd point you to would be Rebecca Luker's Cole Porter album, Anything Goes, and (of course) Kristin Chenoweth's Let Yourself Go.

I'm also weird when it comes to listening to classical. I tend to listen to the stuff in between genres and more Yo-Yo Ma than is good for me. Two albums I go to over and over again is the Yo-Yo Ma/Edgar Meyer/Mark O'Connor Appalachian Waltz and Appalachian Journey. Classical meets fiddling. One violin, one cello, one bass. OMG so good. Also recommend the Yo-Yo Ma/Ennio Morricone album. Soooo pretty.

And then there's XTC and Andy Partridge. The Wonderfalls theme song:
                                [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25EaSgw9xY4]Wondefalls theme song[/ame]

and "Mayor of Simpleton": [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Da9sc6YDBo]Mayor of Simpleton[/ame]

are definitely both on my faves playlist.
                                New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Working...
                                X