What music do you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What music do you like?

I've heard a lot of people talk about making one of these, but no one has, so I will, because I don't want to do homework.

My personal favorite is country. I have a long, long, long, long list of favorite country singers, but I'll do that later.

Right now, though, I have an obsession with the Wicked cast track. So many good songs...

So, what kind of music do you like?
    Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
    "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!
    "If I wasn't smart, I'd be dead."~The Naming, by Alice Croggon

Hmm... *pokes her avi* I still haven't got over PotO, its kinda scaring me. I have never gone this long with _any_ CD listening to it day in and day out...

But I guess thats alright.. I mean I could have some random interest in something like what my brother listens to (<STRIKE>c</STRIKE>rap)... *shudders*.

OMG, one of my friends at uni has just given me copies of several Disney soundtracks including... wait for it.. THE LITTLE MERMAID *parties* and Aladdin and Hercules and she has said that I can have a few more. This is so awesome!

Well thats me. Mainly I like soundtracks, I don't know why, but I do. Probably because Its a quick and easy way to remeber a movie. I would have gone nuts if I hadn't been able to listen to the PotO soundtrack between when I saw it and the release of the DVD.

Alla

Comment

My taste in music is very disjointed. I enjoy specific songs from a wide variety of generes ranging from pop to rock to comedy to alternative to even (slight shudder) one song each of Hip Hop and Country. What was I Thinkin' by Dierks Bentley is the only good country song that exists.

My favourite group is the Bearnaked Ladies-Go Canada Go-and I like many of their songs including Falling For The First Time, Lovers in a Dangerous Time, Be My Yoko Ono, Alcohol, Grade 9, One Week, Pinch Me, If I had $1000000, and Shoebox.

I also like Elton John and many of his songs ranging all the way from Your Song to 1997's Candle in the Wind tribute to princess Diana and many songs in between.

I also Like Green Day, Weird Al Yankovic, and about 30 other songs all by different artists.

Now, I like the way the name of this topic is openended like the other media topics in Chatter II. It allows us to not only talk about music we listen to, but music we make.

I have mentioned that I play the Trumpet and am now taking up Piano. I do many musical things at school including participating in 5 extracurricular music groups (which in total take up about 12 hours a week). Even though I am not a senior student, I play in the senior Concert Band group, the Senior Jazz group, and am a technical helper in the Vocal Jazz group.

In a month we are going on a trip to Annapolis and Virginia Beach, which is going to be sooooo fun! I can't wait. I may have no free time anymore between Bands, Piano Lessons, Swimming Lessons, Swimming Voulenteering, and My Cottage, but I'm alright.

Wow, I think this is my longest post ever. That's probably pretty sad.
      "If Time has a heart, it is because other hearts stop"-The Book of Night with Moon 9.v.IX

Comment

I have rather odd tastes. Mostly I like alternative rock and strange foreign music.

Because I listen to the radio a lot, my tastes run to specific songs rather than bands. Also it means that I like too much to list here, but I'll try to touch on some key points... I absolutely love 'Self-Esteem' by the Offspring, but I've got no idea what the rest of their stuff sounds like. I am similarly pretty fond of Jet's 'Are You Gonna Be My Girl.' Green Day is always cool, and anything non-pop of Jimmy Eat World's (Work, Praise Chorus, Pain) is good stuff. Linkin Park...a lot of it sounds like the same song played over and over. But the original tunes sound pretty awesome. 'Blister in the Sun' by Violent Femmes I love muchly, as well as the rock version of Mrs. Robinson by I have no idea whom. It's a cool song.

I like Latin music in general, particularly Tito Puente, Fatal Mambo, Eddie Palmieri. Also I have the Ghost in the Shell soundtrack. Love Lithium Flower. Actually, I've got a Lithium Flower wallpaper right now. ^_^ Yeah, Yoko Kanno is an awesome person.

Mozart occasionally finds its way to my CD player, or sometimes Chopin. But mostly Mozart. I've listened to some nice classical flute as well, but nothing regularly.

I also like bands from the seventies, before the strange hair metal whatever rock eighties' bands and after the more 'boogie-down' mentality of previous decades. Simon and Garfunkel, especially. w00t to Hazy Shade of Winter, America, and The Boxer. And Mrs. Robinson, of course. Some of Jim Croce's stuff I like, but not really all that much--mostly Time in a Bottle, Operator, that sort of thing...Don McLean, too, a little later with American Pie and Starry Starry Night and such.

Ooh, almost forgot soundtrack-ness. Ghost in the Shell doesn't count because I haven't watched it. Les Miz, West Side Story, Phantom of the Opera I love dearly. Also Guys and Dolls. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but I'm sure I'll remember later.

So. Those are my tastes in music. Be awed.
        My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
        OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
        --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Me? Musicals. Most of my cds are cast albums. I'm currently on YA Sondheim kick, because of the Wall-to-Wall broadcast, so Pacific Overtures, Company, A Little Night Music, Sunday in the Park With George, Sweeney Todd, Into the Woods, Assassins, etc. are making up a lot of my current listening. And I've got an order in at Amazon for the new version of The Frogs.

Alla, if you like the Ashman-Menken Disneys, you might want to hunt for the out-of-print The Music Behind the Magic. It's a four-cd set which includes, iirc, the full scores for Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin, including worktapes, demos, cut songs, etc. The biggest treat in the set is the original demo of Aladdin, only about a third of which was kept for the finished movie. I really love "High Adventure" which was written for Aladdin, his three friends (Babkak, Omar, and Cassim, with whom he used to sing barbershop quartet ;-), and the Genie of the Ring. ("We off/To confrontations so exciting/They're playing music while we're fighting...") Although, of course, the big kicker is "Proud of Your Boy." ("I'll do my best/What else can I do?/Since I wasn't born perfect/Like Dad or you")

Also, I gotta say, I love the Squirrel Nut Zippers cover of "Under the Sea." (VH1.com sample link).
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Comment

Sunstar:YOU LIKE BNL!? I LOVE BNL!!!!! WAHOO!!!! Sorry, I couldn't let that go by without saying it, they were my absolute obsession for about four months. I only got over them when I started listening to other Canadian comedy bands, namely The Arrogant Worms. My fav songs by them include I Saw Three Ships, Some Fantastic, Life, In a Nutshell, Who Needs Sleep?, Never is Enough, Another Postcard, Testing, 1, 2, 3, Christmastime (Oh Yeah), Green Christmas, Elf's Lament, The Flag, Box Set, Tonight is the Night I Fell Asleep At The Wheel, Baby Seat, The Humour of the Situation and Never Do Anything.
              Other musical interests-I want to hear DaVinci's Notebook, which is an a capella group from Canada, but I can't find their CDs anywhere. I love soundtracks too. They're the only way I find out about music. I like Disney soundtracks, PoTO, generally cheesy romance movies (like The Prince and Me, Ella Enchanted, Josie and the *****cats), things like LOTR and Spirited Away.
              I also like Weird Al, the Wallflowers, stuff from Monty Python, Moxy Fruvous (If you like BNL, you'll like them too). I also like just about any style of music except for rap, hip hop and country. I like classical too, I just don't listen to it very often.
              I also play piano, and I LOVE it. Kevin Hearn is a piano god. You don't need to know who that is. I just started taking lessons again, and it's actually really fun to practice now. Weird.
              I play taiko too. If you don't know what it is, you must die. Just kidding, it's just that nobody knows what taiko is, and I love it, so I have to keep explaining it to people. It's Japanese drumming, but really really cool Japanese drumming with huge choreography and this amazing big sound, and it's just so fun to see or to watch. Everybody must go see and see it, or learn to play it right now. It is my mission to convert everyone in the world to taikoness.
              I also sing. I think badly, I'm not sure. We have this kind of talent show thing for music at the end of the year where it's entirely put together by the Jr. High and some people are performers, some are stage people, some people do costumes etc. I'm singing a duet with one of my friends. It shall be uber cool. Wish us luck.
              Sunstar (again)-You swim? Wow, we have WAY too much in common. I swim competetively, and I'm going to start summer season on Monday. It's going to be uberly hard since I moved up. Five days a week, two hours a day. Lots of pain.
              Wow. You guys picked a topic that sets me off way too much. I LOVE music. I could go one forever.
              The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
              I promise not to funfun anymore
              Be happy cause life is good

Comment

I sing, and I know I sing very, very well. I'm not arrogant (yeah, riiiight, Lisa) but I know I do. I've gotten two solos in a choir that required an audition to get into, and one solo last year, in a musical play we did. I was the lead, sort of.

In addition to the Wicked CD, I also am obsessed with the Yu-Gi-Oh: The Movie soundtrack.

(Post edited, due to Kli's reminder of copyright laws. The lyrics have been removed.)
                Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
                "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!
                "If I wasn't smart, I'd be dead."~The Naming, by Alice Croggon

Comment

I like classical and rock. More rock than classical, and I hate rap. I listen to it on the bus all the time, and it's awful. My opinion. XD And I know some people here hate heavy metal, but I like a little of it.

According to iTunes, which is what I've put some of my music on, I listen to alternative, metal, and rock. Hoobastank and Papa Roach are listed on metal. I guess Papa Roach is a little, and *maybe* some of Hoobastank's, but I'll like harsher metal than that.

And linkin park. *droolz*
                  Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

I Like japanese pop/rock, classical, hmmm...not much apparently.
                    Just my luck, they ran out of cookies again!

I have a demon cat that was spawned from Satan.

Comment

Jrock, Jpop. . . Rock, Techno, Trance. . . I'm pretty flexible with music these days, though I don't really like hiphop much.

My favourite artists are Gackt (Lust for Blood, white eyes, Birdcage and Fragrance are especially good), T.M. Revolution (Heart of Sword, Ignited), L'Arc En Ciel (Round and Round 2005, Coming Closer), X Japan (Kurenai. . .), Linkin Park (Numb, Somewhere I Belong, In the End). . . and some others. It changes. ^^

Comment

To me, it seems Linkin Park relies mostly on a handful of the same beats, styles, and tunes.
                        Granted, Hoobastank is much worse. Also I am pretty sure everyone knows about the Nickelback thing.
                        It is for this reason that I prefer such as Weezer (I am really stupid happy whenever Buddy Holly comes on the radio!), Green Day, Metallica. Actually, I haven't heard all that much Metallica so I don't know if that counts, even though what I've heard, like Enter the Sandman, has been cool.
                        Mm, Gackt. Don't know titles, but I've liked what I've heard.
                        OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
                        --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Nickelback USED to be good. Their first two cds were good. Now I don't like their music though.

Never Again is still the BEST TRACK THEY DID.

Comment

I was actually talking about the fact that two of their songs are exactly the same music. Just play Someday and How You Remind me at the same time. It is pretty sad.
                            --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

That is pretty sad. Even if I can't test it because I didn't waste my money buying the Nickleback cd after the ones with Too Bad and How You Remind Me on it. I didn't like Someday much, I don't like how all their tunes have switched over to soft rock. . . I'm more of a screaming metal girl myself. . . xD Dir En Grey. . .

Though like I said. . . Never Again is the best song they ever did, even if it wasn't that popular.

Comment

Working...
                              X