No announcement yet.

What music do you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't either, a cousin for whom it is legal to download music sent me a mix cd (it had cool stuff, like Lola Stars and Stripes, but it also had uncool stuff, like sk8er boi or however you spell that. c'est la vie.). And they play on the radio a lot.
    Also, there used to be a site on which you could listen to one from each speaker. Either it is my computer acting up or something, but Google's not letting me into any related links. It might still be out there.
    My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
    OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
    --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

PPC
      I didn't either, a cousin for whom it is legal to download music sent me a mix cd (it had cool stuff, like Lola Stars and Stripes, but it also had uncool stuff, like sk8er boi or however you spell that. c'est la vie.). And they play on the radio a lot.
      Erm, I went to a girl scout program where you learn about drime and...even if it's legal for your cousin to download songs, I don't think it's legal for her to put them on a CD for you. Burning CDs for your own enjoyment is okay, if you bought the music. But if you burn it for someone else...it's a little shaky. (If you're wondering how I know this, there was an entire station on computer crimes.)

I'm currently listening to...Wicked, of course! I'm going to post more lyrics becuase I like to.

I'M NOT THAT GIRL

Hands touch, eyes meet
      Sudden silence, sudden heat
      Hearts leap in a giddy whirl
      He could be that boy
      But I'm not that girl

Don't dream too far
      Don't lose sight of who you are
      Don't remember that rush of joy
      He could be that boy
      I'm not that girl

Don't wish. Don't start.
      Wishing only wounds the heart
      I wasn't born for the rose and the pearl
      There's a girl I know
      He loves her so
      I'm not that girl

*sigh* This represents exactly what I feel about the guy I have a crush on. And probably what every girl feels at least once in her life. The guy who'll never notice you, who's so perfect that he's too good for you.

(Post edited due to Kli's reminder of copyright laws. Some lyrics removed.)
      Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
      "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!
      "If I wasn't smart, I'd be dead."~The Naming, by Alice Croggon

Comment

Let me clarify--he lives in Malaysia. They really don't care there. As in, go to any mall and you'll find a dozen shops selling pirated DVDs. As in, the average salary for a policeman is fifty US a month.
        And I was pretty sure it's okay to burn cds for family/friends as long as you aren't burning a thousand a batch or something.
        OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
        --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Yesterday I sat down in front of dad's laptop and opened his iTunes, clicking on some songs/ artists that I recognized. He has a lot of music on there, but no slipknot or linkin park, and his only Papa Roach is Getting Away With Murder. I clicked on The Chemicals Between us, and mom, who was in the room over, asked if that was Bush, and I said yeah. She asked if I had heard Letting the Cables Sleep before, and I said no, but also noticed that dad had that track on the laptop too, and I promised to play it next. Both songs are really cool, and mom let me borrow her CD.

S'what I'm listening to now.
          Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Man, this has been just about the best radio morning ever.
            Since I started listening today, there's been Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jimmy Eat World's 'Work', Chevelle's 'Vitamin R', Blind Melon's 'No Rain', Smashing Pumpkin's 'Bullet With Butterfly Wings', and Weezer's 'Buddy Holly.' How is that not an awesome lineup? All of the above are definitely in my personal top 100. What's next, Existentialism on Prom Night? I could go for some Seether right now, actually...
            --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Yesterday night I downloaded maybe eleven songs into my iTunes off my French penpal's CDs. She had many CDs, and 40% of her music was in English. I was confused at that, I mean, I don't listen to music from other countries. (There's a lie. I WILL listen to Japanese and Latino music). It's good music though, even the French stuff. Yeah, I downloaded that, too. I have a wierd habit of judging songs (whether I like them or not) by the beats and backround music rather then the chorus quitar solo and voice. I also listen for that too of course.

I ended up spending two hours searching her CDs through my slow computer, listening to every song, downloading a few per CD looking for my favorite song in Spanish. For some reason, she had Spanish and Arabic and music from other countries too. I bet that she doesn't even understand half the words in half of her songs. There's nothing wrong with that, though. Music can still be awsome if it's not in your language.

Who agrees that you don't have to UNDERSTAND music for it to be very totally AWSOME music? Oh, I don't care what the heck the song is saying... I love music whatever language it's sung in!

Comment

I was confused at that, I mean, I don't listen to music from other countries.
                That's because you're from the United States where music actually pays. You're lucky. In New Zealand we don't have that luxury and so we have fewer artists and, yeah a lot, most even, of what we listen to is foreign because foreign companies have the big bucks and so on.

I love actual French music although I hardly ever listen to it.. they do some crazy stuff, yo. Otherwise, I think I listen to different stuff than you guys do... I listen to just about everything except rap and american hiphop. Love NZ hiphop though... I think it's because american black culture, which is where american hiphop has its roots, is so different to new zealand brown culture just in its whole feeling. NZ hiphop is all about the love whereas it seems to me that american hiphop is less about the love then about "oh dude look at me I'm black and discriminated against and by the way, BLING, LOOK AT MY STUPID SHINY NECKLACES." Which, um, I don't know, I have sympathy for the first part and none for the second.

This song sort of articulates what I'm trying to say, although unfortunately whoever transcribed the lyrics didn't do it properly and also can't spell.

What else... I guess you could say I have eclectic tastes, I listen to a lot of Simon and Garfunkel (heard of them, kiddies? *does a Pops impression*) and I love Maroon 5 and also the Beatles, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Nesian Mystik, Bic Runga, Crowded House, Finn Brothers, other stuff you haven't heard of.
                Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

S&G: omgidolsomg. They are pretty awesome.
                  Maroon5: ehhh...not a fan. They annoy me.
                  Beatles: Yes! Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club. Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds.
                  Tchaikovsky: Lots of fun.
                  Beethoven: Not for me. Mozart pwnz Beethoven and Bach.
                  The rest I haven't heard of.

Weezer's 'Buddy Holly' is playing on the radio again. ^_^ :happy sigh:

Anyone here a REM fan? All the people I know say I'm weird for liking End of the World.
                  ...symbiotic patriotic slam book neck right? right!...
                  Possibly they are correct.
                  --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

I know some REM, and I like what I know... I have their Best Of CD, which is pretty cool.

I know, S&G rock. And they're totally doing concerts and things again, which is bizarre but fantastic. I like Simon's solo stuff as well, how 'bout you?
                    Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Happy happy! I thought I'd gotten all of XTC's albums, but it turns out there are some rarities and b-sides type collections in the UK on cd (all titled "Fuzzy Warbles"), and I've ordered a few from Amazon. What's got me all excited, though, is that vols. 1 and 2 apparently contain Andy Partridge's demo tapes for James and the Giant Peach (they went with Randy Newman instead, of course). I drool.
                      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I actually haven't heard much of the solo work. Should check that out sometime...
                        I was in NY not too long ago, and was completely freaked by the ten-foot concert announcement. Yeah. Just thought I'd mention it.
                        --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

I also like Elton John and many of his songs ranging all the way from Your Song to 1997's Candle in the Wind tribute to princess Diana and many songs in between.
                          How about "All of them"? Don't ask me to tell you which is my favorite, because I don't have one -- but "Rocket Man" and "Nikita" from the "Dream Ticket" DVD set are absolutely fantastic!
                          -----
                          Jennifer (i am a soviet space shuttle)
                          "He's a pinball wizard, there has to be a twist; a pinball wizard's got such a supple wrist..." -- Elton John, Pinball Wizard

Comment

Ah, music. What a great topic.

First, reactions to what's been mentioned:
                            Elton John - I like his most well known stuff, especially his early stuff. Your Song I find annoying, however, much to the confusion of most people I mention that to.
                            XTC - Often underrated. I am especially fond of Mayor of Simpleton and Dear God, though I could never play it when my wife is listening.
                            REM - Eh... End of the World as We Know It is great, a few others are good (Stand sits fondly in my memory), but much of the rest... meh.
                            Simon and Garfunkle - Paul Simon has always been the heart of the group, he wrote all the best songs and did fantastically on his own. Still, the tight harmony of the two together is something wonderful.
                            Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, etc. - I have a particular fondness for fugues. I don't know why. So, Bach gets points in my book. I appreciate all of the composers already listed, but I wanted to throw in one more. Aaron Copland. Wow.
                            The Beatles - Perhaps it's blasphemy to say so, but I've never cared much for The Beatles. Maybe it's because everyone loves them so much.

I recently picked up Herbie Hancock's Possibilities. Very excellent, and much recommended. Hancock plays with some of the biggest names in popular music on this CD. Those who are already fans of Hancock and jazz probably won't like it as much, since this is much more pop in style, and the guest artists are so much in the forefront. But if you recognize the guest artists, and like them, you will probably love this.
                            Stand out tracks include those with with John Mayer, Paul Simon, Sting, and Santana. Fabulous stuff.
                            Worlebird
                            ------------------------------------
                            "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us the nicest of the damned." - They Might be Giants

Comment

Originally posted by worlebird:
                              Ah, music. What a great topic.

First, reactions to what's been mentioned:
                              Elton John - I like his most well known stuff, especially his early stuff. Your Song I find annoying, however, much to the confusion of most people I mention that to.
                              I'm not sure why that's confusing, because for any artist out there there'll be songs you like and songs you don't. It's a personal taste thing. I am curious as to what you don't like about it, though. Melody, lyrics, or just can't put a finger on why?

I like his later stuff and later performances of his earlier stuff because I like the way his voice sounds now, post-voice-surgery (that's why he can't do the higher notes anymore -- he wore his voice out!) and especially live stuff. Especially-especially his solo piano performances without his band. He is amazing playing solo.
                              -----
                              Jennifer (i am a soviet space shuttle)
                              "He's a pinball wizard, there has to be a twist; a pinball wizard's got such a supple wrist..." -- Elton John, Pinball Wizard

Comment

Buran:
                                I'm not sure why that's confusing
                                *chuckle* Well, I think only because it is one of his most popular songs. Perhaps that's one of the things I dislike about it... I've heard it so many times I've grown sick of it. Part of it is also perhaps that I feel it's too sappy... maybe. Though I do like other sappy songs. Perhaps it's that whenever I hear it, I can't help but think of Rod Stewart's recording of the song, and I can't stand Rod Stewart. His voice is like nails on a chalkboard, filtered through a couple of alcoholic beverages of your choice.
                                *shrugs* That was an odd metaphor. *grin*
                                Worlebird
                                ------------------------------------
                                "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us the nicest of the damned." - They Might be Giants

Comment

Working...
                                X