No announcement yet.

Our very small world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, but still...warmth! Tui, your town is really pretty. It kind of reminds me of the veiw from one of the lighthouses at Seaside or Sandy Hook. (New Jersey) Except they're much smaller. Just insert houses where all the buildings are.
    Metaphors be with you.

Comment

Hey, thanks. I agree: it's lovely, though I have a new and fresh idea of just how small it, is, especially on capital-city terms. New York and Washington were BIIIIG.
      Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

"Hey, I can see our government's center from here!"

Was that the Beehive in the lower left corner of the picture? The whole city looks very fresh and young, like it sprung up without disturbing the surrounding vegetation.

Yeah, I'm living in Ohio. It really is as bad as you've heard it is. Boring, boring boring. And people wonder why I don't leave the house... Wanna go back to Denver, CO.

Oh, and the tree picture with the bridge didn't really clear up too much about the trees. Are they all coniferous, or are they deciduous, but it never gets cold enough to make them drop their leaves? I'm quite sure you're far enough south to have <span class="ev_code_BLUE">winter</span>, so I'd normally rule out the deciduous thing, it's just that they look so very <span class="ev_code_GREEN">green</span>! Not like regular N. A. conifers.

Comment

Uhm, the trees? They're neither. In New Zealand, and some other countries, trees just don't lose their leaves. they are NOT coniferous- well, some of them are, but not all. They are just ordinary trees that don't lose their leaves. trees are NOT divided into "coniferous" and "deciduous-" in fact this isn't even true in other parts of the world.

All I meant with the picture was, if you have trees at all, they pretty much look like that ALL YEAR ROUND. Natives do anyway: we have some introduced trees, like oak, which do lose their leaves. We have one on our front lawn at school, actually.

Yeah, that's the Beehive. Good spotting, i didn't even see it. Heh.

Comment

And, being a typical, North American, I have trouble understanding that. Oh well....

*marvels* It seems that people have heard of Delaware. Cool...Dave, do you live near Columbus? That's where I used to live. *sigh* Have to leave....
            *Ella*
            "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
            There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
            And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
            What could mean more than this?"
            --Bright Eyes

Comment

Okay guys I'm leaving for Philidelphia/Orlando FL. Wish me luck and bye for 2 weeks!!!!
              penguins will rule the world.

Comment

Originally posted by EWizard11:
                Cool...Dave, do you live near Columbus? That's where I used to live. *sigh* Have to leave....
                Well, close to Columbus is a relative term. I live about an hour to an hour and a half away from it.

Luck, Z!

Comment

Tui, you should come back in the middle of fall, when all the trees' leaves turn. The colors are amazing.
                  I live pretty close to DC. We went there for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and stopped by the Washington Cathedral. It was gigantic. The gargoyles were cool.
                  Bye, Z! Have fun.
                  Metaphors be with you.

Comment

Hey you guys, back on the forum! I'm babysitting my cousin and my little brother in New Jersey. (Ya'll know all the states out here in the east are smushed together.) My grandma doesn't have a computer so I should do as much as I can here.
                    My flight was so horrible, we had the last row. I was trying to sleep and people kept going to the bathrooms. The only good thing was I got a whole row to myself. I like my grandma's house and my aunt's house. My 9 year old cousin Julian greeted me by tackling me! (In a lovable way! ha ha.) I'm going to Florida in 3 days! SeeYa!
                    penguins will rule the world.

Comment

I didn't mean to be so snarky. It's jsut, when we're little we learn all about how in the other hemisphere it's winter at Christmas and trees lose their leaves and that's why we have food like Christmas pudding in the middle of summer, and we read all these books and stuff which talk about 'fall," or song lyrics like "My December," and we adjust to all that... but if you guys heard a song lyric like "stranded in June, whistling the same old tune," (recognise the song, anyone?) you'd have to do a doubletake. It gets me down. Oh well.

Comment

...I don't recognize the song, no, but if it makes you feel any better, I have no idea what "My December" is either. And while I can't remember anyone thinking to mention the trees, we do get told about the seasons being at opposite times in the Northern and Southern hemispheres. I do admit, however, that absent any other context, my first thought about being "stranded in June" would be that someone had gotten lost in a desert.

Which is odd, since I do not in fact live near a desert, and would be hard put to get lost in one without going to a moderate amount of trouble to get there in the first place. Hopefully I would shortly realize that it would be hard to whistle under those circumstances....

Comment

"My December"- er, it's Linkin Park, I actually wouldn't expect you to recognise it, but Aurie had it in her sig a while back. LP's semi-popular here...

The song lyrics is Bic Runga one, from "Get Some Sleep." I know you don't know it- I thought Dave might know it.

Also. *semi-amusedly, mostly at coincidence* my best friend just called, and apparently you (PK) reviewed a fic she wrote- Distractions? She was very pleased. (I quote, "I'm on Professor's Bookshelf [cue congratulatory squee-ing from me... Distractions is my baby too, I am the first sounding board.] And Persephone Kore reviewed. And it was nice! She thought it was funny!" So, you know, your reviews have credit, at least on this side of the world.

Comment

Haha! Sorry about that. I was multitasking last time I was in this thread, and the phrase "I didn't mean to be so snarky" hung me up a bit. My brain locked on the word 'snarky' and I couldn't get past that point. (ever had that happen to you?) Anyway, I never read the rest of the post. Of course I recognize it. My brother recently became obsessed with that song. He recently dropped it into his exclusive playlist, which now has a total of three songs in it.

Hmm. The only mildly interesting thing about where I live is that it is so fantastically boring. That's not good. I remember when I lived in Denver, and the show Animaniacs' first season started, (this is actually relevant, just wait for me to get to the point) and one of the episodes had Wacko win a meatball eating contest. Then he died. When Death (with a swedish accent, I think) showed up, and tried to take Wacko away, Yacko and Dot became so annoying and clingy that Death had to take all three of them with him. I think they took a boat ride at some point. Anyway, there was a weird twilight zone scene with half of one of their faces on the screen, and the other with their profile in the background. Dot said, "Are we dead?" and Wacko said, "Or is this Ohio?"

That scene stuck with me, and has held true so far.

Comment

That's horrible.

Surely Ohio isn't that bad?

Comment

Well, I'm sure urban Ohio is great. There are more major cities in this state than in any other. Rural Ohio is the worst place in the world. (this is where I live)

Comment

Working...
                                X