Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favourite scene in the series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had quite a few favorite scenes, but my current favorite is the one in The Wizard's Dilemma with Kit and the Transcendent Pig. He just fascinates me! The fact that he has a name, and his name is Chao, and he's just so magical in this hard-to-understand way is just cool. If someone were to ask me what my favorite animal is, I might just have to say that it's the Transcendent Pig. Part of what I like about the scene, though, is the answer Kit gives him about how he found the glede.

"In the dark," said Kit. "When I stopped making things, and just let the night be what it was."

Squash

[This message was edited by squashlittle on 02 January 2003 at 21:07.]

Comment

First, a disclaimer: I am a die-hard space buff who was born just a few years too late to be alive during Project Apollo (actually, just one month after the Apollo-Soyuz mission). I can only read of it in books, be amazed, and wonder how long it will be til people from Earth once again visit what's just in our cosmic backyard.

The scene on the Moon in which the Lunar Module Orion -- the lander of Apollo 16 -- is visited in Deep Wizardry -- is one of my favorites. Now, I'll take you there.

Apollo 16, April 1972

Launch and splashdown

Take a look at the commemorative Orion plaque left by the crew. If you were to walk up to the descent stage of the spacecraft, this plaque would tell you its name and which Apollo mission it was part of.

If you, too, were standing on Stone Mountain and looked toward the the landing site, you might see something like this. But not exactly: the upper half of the Lunar Module blasted off from the descent stage, the octagonal part which has the landing legs and descent ladder, to rejoin the Command Module Casper in orbit -- and then was cast off to be deliberately crashed into the Moon to create artificial earthquakes. The Lunar Rovers, all three (Apollos 15, 16, and 17 each carried one) remain parked near the LM descent stages where their cameras were turned via remote control toward the LM to view its liftoff.

(My edition of Deep Wizardry states that the A16 LRV was the first one. This is incorrect. The "J" series missions all carried them -- and the series began with Apollo 15.)

Another photo shows the LM, LRV, astronaut Charlie Duke, and Stone Mountain -- the viewpoint from which the scene takes place -- in the background. We can now see that the LM would have faced toward the characters' left and that the US flag, if it was not knocked over during liftoff, would have been partly hidden by the descent stage. Since the Moon is not the Earth and thus has very different 'atmospheric' conditions and there is no air to create haze with which to judge distances, keep in mind that the mountain may very well not be as close to the landing site as it looks.

A good look at the Lunar Module

Mission patch. They don't make them like they used to.

Kit remarks that he and Nita never visited the site from close up because footprints which didn't match the astronauts' boots would still be visible in the future. True? Absolutely. With only the solar wind and interplanetary particles to wear down surface features, footprints on the Mooon will last a long time.

This is one of the most famous Apollo lunar surface photos (others are Buzz Aldrin saluting the flag during the Apollo 11 flight, the earthrise captured by Apollo 8, and Apollo 17's famous "full Earth" photo) representing what the people in the scene would have seen as they looked toward Earth. It's actually from Apollo 17, not Apollo 16.

Post tenebras spero lucem - after dark I wish for light
      (CC) This post has been closed-captioned for the hearing-impaired.

[This message was edited by Buran on 02 January 2003 at 21:00.]
      -----
      Jennifer (i am a soviet space shuttle)
      "He's a pinball wizard, there has to be a twist; a pinball wizard's got such a supple wrist..." -- Elton John, Pinball Wizard

Comment

My present favorite (subject to change, but has been so for some time) is the scene from SYWTBAW where Kit has invoked the Mason's Word and the statues have just come to life. Here comes the cavalry! and the two lions from the steps of the library... sigh.
        "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
        "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

Basically...anything from HW...I have the book memorized....specifically:
          The chapter in HW that describes Darrine's early life
          In HW when Darrine's having her memories read by the motherboard
          In HW when Peach comes back as the Winged Defender
          In AWA when everyone is watching the messed up telivision
          In AWA when Carl is trying to fix the lights
          Did I mention any scene from HW???

*~*FireWitch*~*
          A physics geek
          And proud of it...

Loyal reader and Young Wizards books, great lover of Moon Cakes, and engineering feminista...

Comment

I love Arienne's part in the Song in DW, and when Kit takes over... you can just see the waves of *drama* radiating from those pages... excellent to read when you're sick of mediocre boring writing...

I haven't read HW for a while, but I'm a die-hard Peach fan *has sudden craving to read HW*

I wasn't as impressed with Alone.. I always liked the complicated spelling bits... and the spells-as-things seemed to be a bit of a plot device...

ohwell my opinions... dai stiheh, all

Comment

woo hoo!!!!
              Peach forever! my fave part is in DW when neets and kitare on the phoine with tom and carl and peach.
              " And i did the deed that all men shun, i shot the albatross!"

i think we need to start a peach fan club, anyone else?

so my school is doing Titanic this year, and i get to be benjamin guggenhiem's latest mistress, and last year i was mrs. potifar in joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat....are we seeing an alarming trend here?????????
              PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
              Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

Not a scene per se, but I was listening to "High Wizardry" this afternoon and I was blown away by one phrase: "as empty as entropy's end." I didn't realize how incredibly lyrical that line was until I hear it aloud.

-Tabby
                the princess with claws

Comment

Favorite scene? Hard to say, but somewhere in Deep Wizardry probably. That was I think Diane Duane's most powerful book.

Thank you for my two cents(?)
                  MOO, LEMONS AND CHEESE OH YEAH AND BAND-AIDS
                  Perry, the odd aspiring Mars lander

Comment

One more thing: a Peach fan club?? Rock on!!

The one and only

Comment

...the duct tape line in Alone...

Pure genius!

Little Owl xx

'Felis Catus is your taxonomic nomenclature. An endothermic qaudroped, carniverous by nature.'
                      'Felis Catus is your taxonomic nomenclature. An endothermic qaudroped, carniverous by nature.'

Comment

*thinks* Oh yeah. Duct tape... OK, I'm with Hannah. Definitely the Duct tape. Maybe the best serious scene... I loved the "battle" scene at the end of SYWTBAW. I thought that was really, really.. powerful. And beautiful.
                        T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
                        Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
                        Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
                        Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
                        My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
                        Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
                        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Hm...I don't really have a favorite scene. I like the whole wizard leakage thing in A Wizard Alone.

"Honey?" Kit's mom said.
                          "What, Mama?"
                          "The dog says he wants to know what's the meaning of life."

Haha I love Ponch.
                          I also like the end of A Wizard Alone.

" Neets? he said silently.
                          A moment later the answer came back. What?
                          Can I please move in with you?
                          There was a pause...and then laughter.
                          I'll be right over... "

-Sarah

"Do you talk to the computer often?"
                          ONLY WHEN THE REFRIGERATOR IS MAD AT ME.

N/K furever!

Comment

Duct tape! Duct tape! Duct tape!

This civilization is going to collapse someday, and all they will find MILLIONS of years from now will be plastic sheeting and duct tape- isn't that the truth?

ok, i dumped the old rpg and got a new one!!!!! everyone who joined the last one join here!
                            http://www.avidgamers.com/playroom
                            http://www.avidgamers.com/WWOHP
                            PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
                            Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

I know you wanted a favorite scene, but my favorite of the YW series is Deep Wizardy. That book made me laugh and cry the most. it was mostly the concept of someone willingly sacrficing themselves so everyone else could survive.

" It was one of those So you want to be a...books... a series on careers...
                              BUT This One Said
                              'So You Want To Be A Wizard...'"
                              - Serena

Comment

But, if I were to pick my favorite scene. It would be when Nita and Kit tell Nita's parents everything and then take them to the moon.
                                My second favorite scene is in A Wizard Abroad, when Nita finds out that her Aunt is a Wizard too.

" It was one of those So you want to be a...books... a series on careers...
                                BUT This One Said
                                'So You Want To Be A Wizard...'"
                                - Serena

Comment

Working...
                                X