Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN RYSADE?

*Agent~M*

EVERYONE MUST READ CITY OF THE BEASTS!!!!! (I sound crazy but I don't care)
    "Thank you Jack" "Your welcome" "No not you, we named the monkey Jack" -Pirates of the Caribbean
    Look closely at your next subway token. And speak to strangers.- SYWTBAW 20th Ed.
    "Do what the night tells you, and read the fine print before you sign!"- DW, Picchu
    I lost my marbles, PLEASE HELP ME FIND THEM!!!!!!!
    *Agent~M*
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
    "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
    "I could live

Comment

Ok, so Wizard's Holiday has Him do "The good deed of a lifetime," right? So what if there's a split in the wizardly ranks, some of them thinking that He's on Their side now, and some of them thinking He's still Their archnemesis!?
      OK, yeah, that would be... cool... But. Somehow I don't think wizards would actually fight each other... so I find it hard to see how that would work. Uhm. But there will definitely be that kind of conflict. What I'd be really interested in finding out is if the war will be your traditional war, Abroad-style, or if it will be more subtle, Alone-style. That would be a grrrreat question to ask at the next chat (if it ever happens... )
      T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
      Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
      Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
      Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
      My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
      Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
      Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I think wizards fighting with each other does happen -- but under specific circumstances. Misunderstanding, ritual, or the case of a fallen wizard, perhaps -- other than that, though, I think that it's possible for them to fight outside their function as wizards. And not necessarily just in the sense of arguing the way Tom and Carl or Nita and Kit or Nita and Dairine would; I got the impression that "off the job" cat-wizards might very well get into some nasty fights, as part of... cat-culture. Then again, perhaps it never does go past the posturing.

Hopefully as a rule they wouldn't be that... wasteful. Of course, there's an interesting thought -- wizards from predator/prey species....

Ok, so Wizard's Holiday has Him do "The good deed of a lifetime," right? So what if there's a split in the wizardly ranks, some of them thinking that He's on Their side now, and some of them thinking He's still Their archnemesis!?
        I thought there was some question as to whether it was, in fact, a good deed or not? But I could be confused, happens often enough.

Don't both situations already pertain, though? We've HAD the Reconfiguration, but the "shadows" are (as noted) still abroad. (And then there's TBONWM, in which the Lone Power is in fact on both sides of the climactic battle. Which is funny if you think about it.)

I can imagine recognition being a bit of work, of course.... Hmm.

Comment

I think it have something to do with ponch. That dog is weird. And I thought in the 3rd book the lone power turned good?

Comment

Snip: Ponch certainly appears to be involved, yes. As for the Lone Power -- yes, It was redeemed in High Wizardry, but if you recall, there was the line
            "My shadows are still abroad... As I have done evil, for some time yet they still shall. Stop them. Stop me."
            They've run into these "shadows" in the fourth, fifth, and sixth books, though it's worth noting that in the fifth Kit reminds the Lone One that everything's changing, including it, whether it likes it or not....

I'd like to see the Reconfigured one again, though. I mean, besides in BONWM....

Comment

PK and Snip the Cat: I think the Lone Power was referring to its dipping in and out of time. So although by the greater time--the time all times are part of--he's redeemed, but before that he already corrupted the future. So the Lone Power in the future is really the Lone Power in the past.

I am what I am
              I'm super fortified hundred proof girl with a band
              and I'm a velveteen rabbit made of steel with a plan...
              I'll save the planet change the world
              I'll make a one girl stand
              --Superchic[k], 'Real'
              My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
              OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
              --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

My personal idea about the wizards/fighting thing is that wizards really try not to fight, I'm talking specifically of violence, in and out of their life as a wizard. or, rather, there is no life outside of neing a wizard. You're alkways a wizard, on and off the job: and fighting entropy is a constant job. So, you get your bills in on time, etc.... I mean, it's a generalisation. Obviously everyone fights. But i think that wizards physically fighting other wizards is really unlikely because it would be such a massive increase in entropy. all the people who are supposed to be out _stopping_ entropy increasing it with their actions? NOT a good thing- and my feeling is that wizards would be able to tell that.

Also, I think they have better communication skills.
                T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
                Chocolate lover Extraordinaire
                Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!

Comment

Comment

What if, if wizards willingly submit to the Lone Power, they can violate their oaths but the Lone Power allows them to keep their wizardry, making them Dark Wizards???

Or maybe the real world will go into war, and the wizards must stop the unnecessary entropy...

Freudian Slipper
                    Semi-Artist
                    Supplier of Thought-seeds
                    Owner of the Anime Artifact Shop (Museum)

Remember: There are occupational hazards to being a god.
                    My life has dilapidated into a pile of detritus.
                    My goal is like a speeding train that never will alight us
                    Confusion in the atmosphere, PV=nRT.
                    A suicidal fridge must be stocked with iced tea.
                    The orangutan; he laughs at me trapped inside the ca

Comment

Well, look at what happened in The Book of Night With Moon to that evil dino wizard guy. I think if you take the Oath for the other Powers, you have to be *good*, but if you work for the Other...

I am what I am
                      I'm super fortified hundred proof girl with a band
                      and I'm a velveteen rabbit made of steel with a plan...
                      I'll save the planet change the world
                      I'll make a one girl stand
                      --Superchic[k], 'Real'
                      OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
                      --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

But how many of those dark wizards are there? "Rogues," as mentioned in The Book of Night With moon, seem to be quite rare- I mean, Carl didn't think it was likely that it was a rogue. His attitude seemed to imply they were far outnumbered.
                        T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
                        Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
                        Spelling Freak and Typo Queen

Comment

Rogues do seem to be rare -- but wizards who get just a bit out of line and require discipline/redirection are less so (from what's said in the Holiday excerpts about pushing boundaries), and arguments are not, whether they arise about the correct approach to wizardry or just from clashing personalities.

I think that wizards probably do fight one another physically on occasion -- though I would be surprised at their actually making war on each other. I would not be terribly surprised to see Arhu get into a fight with another tomcat, even a wizard, over a pretty queen. And that doesn't even get into ritual combat.

It's probably generally better to work things out with words, of course. And I'd agree with Birdhead that wizards are supposed to be reasonably good at this. Still, they aren't perfect at it -- and I'm not entirely sure that fighting with words is always that much better than fighting physically, for wizards.

But I don't think I'm really shedding any light on the subject....

Comment

For those who are curious, there is a little bit of information about the nature of the 'War' (from a conversation with DD at a convention) in Kaatje's post in the thread 'Wizards at War...' (located in the 'Forthcoming Books' section). As Kaatje thought that this tidbit deserved 'spoiler space,' I will not repeat it here. In addition, the presence of some speculation differing from the ideas which have been put forth here seems to warrant a visit to the other thread.

Nathan

Ubi materia, ibi geometria. --Johannes Kepler

Non doctrinam, sed perspicuitatem quaero.
                            Omnia disce, videbis postea nihil esse superfluum.

Comment

So I just finished "Wizards' Holiday."

How the heck am I going to wait a whole year for the next one?

Comment

What? It's out yet?

"That's right," he said. "We're philosophers. We think, therefore we am."
                                -- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
                                *Look kindly upon the decaffienated one*
                                Midbies of the forum UNITE!
                                Kawaii Bunny Avatar (kba) NOT EVIL!!!
                                --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Working...
                                X