This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by papercrane:
    ...scowled blackly at Jurassic Park for making the raptors' tails too whippy and the sauropods' necks vertical. Among other things. Grr.
    Yep, that's me... ^_^
    But brachiosaurs are usually reconstructed as having very vertical necks, unlike the other sauropods. However, even Robert Bakker, who suggested that sauropods' skeletons mean they could rear up on their hind legs, wouldn't say that for brachiosaurs - their skeletal structure's very different.

Augh! I keep typing brachiopod when I mean brachiosaur! Brachiopods are little shellfish that've been around since the Cambrian era, and not to be confused with big extinct dinosaurs!
    Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Yes, but...rising fifty feet into the air? To my knowledge, they simply didn't have the skeletal/muscular structure for such a configuration. Well, he tried to amend that in The Lost World.
      ...am I referring to the book or the movie? Um...I have no idea.
      My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
      OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
      --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

ppc wrote:
        Well, he tried to amend that in The Lost World. ...am I referring to the book or the movie? Um...I have no idea.
        (brightly) The Michael Crichton? Or the Arthur Conan Doyle?
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Oh, Crichton, sorry. As re Jurassic Park.
          But I have read Doyle. 1337 stuff. ^_^
          My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
          OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
          --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

TBONWM was great! I can't wait to start the next one...but I have a library book on hold, so it'll have to wait. I also now understand the whole "dinosaurs in central park" that Nita mentioned in TWD. If you haven't read it, YOU SHOULD!
            ~Rachel

Comment

I didn't enjoy the FW books as much because they were way too convoluted. I kept losing track of exactly what was happening to who. And though all this complex plot seemed to be leading up to some BIG MOMENT, I actually didn't find the climax all that exciting.

Just my opinion, though. And they're still good books.

Nerine

Comment

I am still reading TBONWM. When I started it I was not sure how much I liked it, but I traveling and it was the book I had and so I stuck with it and now I am glued to it. In fact, I almost fogot to get off the bus this morning because if it!
                Maybe it's Art.

Comment

i started reading BONWM because of it's title. i thought it would be the ACTUAL Book. and then i got hooked on the feline wizards.

my dad (who raides my bookshelf continuously) now takes every opportunity possible to talk about ::spoilers:: <span class="ev_code_WHITE">chili pickes and THINKING them at the One.</span> ::graons::

vv
                  PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
                  Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

I've only read TBONWM so far, although I have TVTQ on hold at the library and will read it after Christmas. Personally, I preferred YW and actually found NWM to be rather slow in places. I guess I'll have to see what I think of TVTQ.
                    ------------------------------

Et meme si la route est bien longue a la fin,
                    Et meme si la doute nous fait serrer les poings
                    L'amour nous rassure, brise les murs d'incertitude...

Comment

I liked them but they got a little hard to follow sometimes because of all of the cats!! i mean i like cats its justtrying to picture them and keep all of them straight but i did it. It was a REALLY good book. I havent read TVTQ yet.
                      Dai stiho cousins
                      ~~~Ezra

Comment

These are actually the books I started with; I only went to the Young Wizards books by default... I had to have more! I love the feline wizardry books for both the stakes and the characters. DD has an unique way of creating absorbing and layered "alien" cultures that are so utterly not ours, and yet you still walk in the skin of the characters. There are a disturbing number of aliens in fiction that are either entirely without blood or behave like transplanted humans.

Cat or not, Rhiow is a woman I'd totally want to be. And now I can pretend to have a deeper understanding of what my own cats are up to... like they'd ever really let on.

Harpertouch

Comment

I'm still in the process of reading Book of Night with Moon, but so far it's pretty good. I don't know yet if I like it as well as the YW books, but it is excellent.

SilverMarine and Nerine, I love your avatars. Unicorns...I get teased for liking unicorns.
                          Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
                          "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!
                          "If I wasn't smart, I'd be dead."~The Naming, by Alice Croggon

Comment

Katrina, you've definitely nailed down one of DD's talents as a writer. It's also probably the reason the Rihannsu Star Trek books work so well--she really gets you to see the alien mindset from the inside.

I've been tempted to pick up Tad Williams's Tailchaser's Song to see if he can do similar magic. I also never much liked Redwall because, while perfectly fine adventure stories, the characters didn't seem particularly mouse-ish to me.

I think my favorite bit about the Feline Wizard books is that you can actually hear the character names as the sounds cats make.
                            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X