This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these as good as YW?

Are the FW books as good as the YW books? I know that the felines were very enjoyable to read about in WA.
    "He who made kittens put snakes in the grass."

"Even if love does not dawn,
    The sun also rises,
    The day goes on."

I think it depends on what you like. I thought they were as good as YW, but I love animal books. Most of the books I love have some sort of animal as a main character, or they have magic in them. In FW, both are true. I want to buy them, but I can't find them anywhere.
    <3
    the awesome like whipped cream || Queen of Nonsensical || Guardian Angel of YW || who *dies* a lot || but <3s everybody || who pours out her soul || and doesn't always say what she should || but is

Comment

I don't think I liked The Book of Night With Moon, which was the first one. But a lot of people said that they liked the second one a lot, To Visit the Queen. Young Wizards is much better than the Feline Wizards books, but that's just my opinion.
      Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

I liked The Book of Night with Moon -- better than To Visit the Queen, if I had to pick. But then I'm one of those weirdos whose favorite is High Wizardry instead of Deep Wizardry, and for somewhat related reasons.

Comment

okay well this was obviously a loaded question
          so I guess I'll have to just pick up the book for myself. But ya Angel Star I know what you mean it really bugs me when you can't find books in the book store like I couldn't find A Wizard Alone for monnths!! MONTHS!!
          "He who made kittens put snakes in the grass."

"Even if love does not dawn,
          The sun also rises,
          The day goes on."

Comment

No I have to say I enjoyed the first one!! The one reason is that like every other adult in there childhood all boys go through a dinosaur thing and mine lasted longer than most!! In fact I like them alot now! But my point is that DD done a great thing writing in the Dino wizards!! I really do hope we have some cross over into SIWTBAW series! Tom and Carl both know about the Dino wizards and both Nota and Kit were in the Feline books I really do hope we have dino cross over!!
            Oh the answer to the question is yes and no! The feline books where written from a differant view point so seem werid in nature but thats what makes them seem so good for me! But then again theres not many humans involved in the main char so we can't identify with them! Thats what makes the SYWTBAW books so good! You can identify with the char!!!

Fox
            God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

Fox:
              one reason is that like every other adult in there childhood all boys go through a dinosaur thing...
              What about girls? Ahem, I didn't play with dolls. Instead, I had my own collection of dinosaur toys. Grrrr.

Fox:
              But then again theres not many humans involved in the main char so we can't identify with them! Thats what makes the SYWTBAW books so good! You can identify with the char!!!
              Ack, you completely lost me. There aren't many humans, so you can't identify with them. Therefore, you can identify with them!

That's what I just got. Did you typo anything?
              Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

My understanding of Fox's post was:
                <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
                <LI>There aren't many humans involved in the Feline Wizards books so we can't identify with them.
                <LI>The YW books are good because you can involve with the (human) characters.[/list]
                So you had plushy dinosaurs, Gryphon? Or little plastic ones? Fox did say "like every other adult in their childhood" - that would include women, of course.
                Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Yes, that's how I read Fox's post too.

Of course, it's not like it's impossible to identify with a character who's a different species (or gender, or time, or other background aspect) from the reader. It just takes something you have in common, or even can just put yourself in the place of and understand....

*coughs* Um. Anyway. I did think it was possible to identify to a reasonable degree with the cats, or at least 'feel with' them, even though there is the awareness that they think about some things quite differently. But then it's quite possible Fox and I think differently about the things that resonated with me about Rhiow!

Comment

I've not been on in 24 hours have have alot of posting to do Right what have we got here....
                    Gryphon I'm really really really really really really really really (you get the point) really really........SORRY!!!
                    I have a terrible habbit of saying one thing which means something differant to me than everyone else! When we did or 'end of school year book' my commnet was 'I hope you all get what you deserve!' Now to me that meant I hope they got what ever they wantted in life etc etc but on reading it back when it was publised it sounded mean so I'm sorry.

PM I think you understood me and PK, My point was its very differicult for humans to identify out of there own speices! Which means in turn there are some humans that could not understand the feline wizard novel books! I've had cats most my life and have a great imagination and I loved these books because I understood all the feline body language part's etc. I think I'm digging myself a bigger hole so I'm going to give up now
                    Oh Gryphon lets hear about your diono's
                    Fox
                    God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

Oh, oh, that was my fault, there, Fox. I was thinking SYWTBAW was TBONWM, for some reason. I do that a lot.

I loved dinosaurs. Lesse, I actually still have some of my plastic figures. I might've even named a few of them, but I can't remember. I do know that I named my alligator Allie. He has a bandaid on his toe still. A friend's dog bit him... hehe. Well, I have to correct myself. It's not on his toe; it's on his foot; his toe is gone. I never really learned how any of their names are spelled, so I'll *try* to list some of the dinosaurs I have. I have the tiransauros rex, of course. Actually, it's gonna be pretty hard to list them if I don't know their names. I used to.

Comment

I just started reading TBONWM, and it's pretty good. It's slightly confusing with the Ailurin (I have to keep consulting the glossary in the back), but it's very interesting. Not quite YW interesting, but I like it anyway. It's cool how DD portrays cats! (Especially with that German Shepherd in ch. 1!!)
                        ~Rachel

Comment

I haven't read these ones - lacking access to a copy of TBONWM ... ohh weelll...

hehe Dinosaurs huh? Did any of you have 'dinoriders' stuff? Cos my bro and i had nearly the entire set and it was soo cool to play with... .

Comment

Gryphon--hah, really? I used to be nuts about dinosaurs! I did the whole plastic figurine thing, and of course researched it to death and had a love/hate relationship with the fantastically illustrated Dinotopia (hated hated _hated_ the movie) and scowled blackly at Jurassic Park for making the raptors' tails too whippy and the sauropods' necks vertical. Among other things. Grr.
                            Yep, that's me... ^_^
                            My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
                            OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
                            --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

the raptor's tails to whippy? they weren't even the right sort of raptors... Velociraptor mongoliensis is no where near that tall. Standing, it would come up to about waist height on a man (its about one meter tall and three meters long from tip to tail). Paeleontologists now think that it even had feathers!
                              The dinosaur that they used in Jurassic Park was its larger relative Deinonychus antirrhopus. But you can't really blame Hollywood for doing something stupid like that - would you be very frightened of something that came up to you waste running around looking like a oversized turkey with teeth? See here for more information on dinosaurs...

Comment

Working...
                              X