No announcement yet.

A Wizard on/of Mars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No not Carmela the other sister that did not take the news too well, forgot her name. Just after coming out to the family she moved away to go to uni or something. She was werid about it and it just made me wonder thats all
    God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

• That would be Helen, er, Helena. The one who thought Kit made a "deal with the devil"? *snorts* She's not gonna make a deal with anything, I think, though Carmela seems pretty sure that she's not. That one's going to get in trouble someday, I predict (and Kit'll save her). Kit's got some interesting sisters.
      Have any of you read the chapters yet?
      I wonder if we'll see more of Darryl, or Tuyet and Nguyet? I'd like to see how they cope with the burn. (Is it mindburn or brainburn, or another kind of burn?)

Comment

• i think it was more along the lines of a, "NOOOOOOOOOO! MY BROTHERS GONE OVER TO SATEN!" *Cries* kind of weird then a "THis can't be real. NOt him too...not again! this isn't supposed to be real!" kind of weird.

and she didn't exactly lead right away. she was just very distant from him, thinking he was in a pact with the devil or something. Then, LATER, she moved away and everything shifted back to the way it once was between them because she could safely ignore the whole situation when she wasn't faced with it day after day.
        And besides, i think carmella would be a much more interesting addition to the world of wizardry. :P (I have to wonder where they got a tv that had a manuel that gave information to carmella about how to ask the tv to take her to another world, though)
        I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
        For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• who knows where they got it? There's a wizardry leakage, right? For all we know, it could've altered the TV's manual into thinking it was a wizard's manual, even if they simply got the TV at a normal store! I wonder what their normal computers would be like...

And about Helena, I thought they said she got over it when Kit was okay going to church, and participating in church activities. Huh, I wonder what religion he is in that book?
          Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• Huh, I wonder what religion he is in that book?
            My intuition has always been Catholic, although I could be wrong. I think wizardry probably gives him an, hmm, unique perspective, though.
            Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• it would be cool if DD could write about a jewish guy. i mean, what happens when you speak more than one language and use the Speech? which language would you use? and how about in front of people that speak different languages? wouldn't they all understand?
              "If his grin was any wider the top of his head would have fallen off"
              -Terry Pratchett
              Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata, Master of Technology

Comment

• Im slightly confused. The speech is a language. What diference does it make about how many other languages you know when you are seaking a specific one as for the second question, remeber everyone understands the speech.
                (\__/) "Be amazing"
                (+'.'+)
                (")_(")

Comment

• I think in the books is says that everyone generally understands the speech, or that they have at some time. Or maybe it said that they all know the speech, which doesn't neccesarily mean they understand it. I mean, like I have a friend who knows the first forty digits of pi, but doesn't understand half of them.
                  Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• Spoilers - I think

This is on topic, but not...

First, I have not read those chapters, so if there's something obvious I don't catch...

Spoiler if you managed to not read the other ones (Kit and the whole martian princess thing *feels butterflies in stomache - or eagles, yes something larger than butterflies* - Nita is obviously going to be jealous - could that be where Ronon fits in? (if he does) She could be with him while she's upset...

The whole Nita (becoming far more thing - a higher power) - that would be bad, wouldn't it? She would have a hard time being a partner with Kit, which is a huge part of the series. DD probably wouldn't do this because it could break them up. And those book descriptions can be highly misleading.

I agree with everyone - I can live with the release date being so far away, but it is extremely hard. Focussing on it will make it worse though...

What is important to me in the next book is that Nita and Kit stay together (friends, partners, or otherwise).

I don't think much will happer with Roshoan (spelling?) in this book (or other sub-plots).
                    Last edited by Kathy Li; June 9, 2009, 09:22:23 PM. Reason: fixed spoiler markup
                    "And on he went, out of sight in unhurried grace; the true dark angel, the unfallen Destroyer, the Pale slayer who never really dies -- seeking for pain to end." Deep Wizardry, page 355 Listen, and I'll tell you a story... of the wind in the trees, and the sun, the moon and the stars... of all of Earth dancing

Comment

• Then again, "becoming much more then human" can mean a load of different things. Though I wonder what the woman with emerald hair and eyes has to do with Nita. I was thinking it could be a self precog thing since she was looking the mirror at the time. Or it could be a Martian Princess?
                      Last edited by Kathy Li; June 9, 2009, 09:21:22 PM. Reason: fixed spoiler marking

Comment

• Originally posted by magicalmike:
                        Im slightly confused. The speech is a language. What diference does it make about how many other languages you know when you are seaking a specific one as for the second question, remeber everyone understands the speech.
                        what I mean, is, if you're in front or a Franc, an Israeli and an American, and you use the Speech, they would all understand, in their own language. wouldn't that seem strange?
                        In the books it is mentioned a few times that every non-wizard understands the Speech, in their own language. You just can't hear animals and such unless they are speaking in the Speeh.

Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata
                        "If his grin was any wider the top of his head would have fallen off"
                        -Terry Pratchett
                        Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata, Master of Technology

Comment

• Vashmata, that sounds like the beginning of a bad joke. (A Franc, an Israeli, and an American walk into a bar using the Speech...)
                          I think this gets addressed some in WH, when Dairine tells the "aliens" to avoid using the Speech on the bus, because everyone will hear it in their own language and might find that strange.

Maria

Comment

• mariak, you're half right!

Dairine does warn the alien exchange students not to use the Speech, but not because of people understanding them. It's because she doesn't want other people to understand them talking about spaceships and alien civilisations and how Roshaun is royalty on his planet -- because these things are not considered normal on Earth! Just talking in the Speech seems to be fine.

Comment

• Actually I think Maria is right - this is what my copy says:

Especially, Dairine thought, considering the kinds of things these guys are likely to he saying if they get started.
                              So you're right in that some of the things they are saying would be weird, but it was just as much for the reason Maria remembered.
                              Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Working...
                              X