Is "Abroad" your favorite book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BC:
    maby your not such a soft cuddly kitten like Brennick said! Alright, I'll capitalize.
    I'm not. I'm a viscious, feral ninja kitty of doom. Who really does take martial arts. XD

Brains taste good...

*miffed* Haven't been on much longer. September, October... one month. And you haven't started posting until now, so I dwarf you. Whereas Andrea has been posting longer than she joined because she lost her password, and same for Cress.

Nicky. Hmmm... I know some Nicks, but no Nickys [irl], so I could call you that. And I believe no one but THE Gryphish can call Gigo Gigish. I beleive.

Angel:
    It's not my fault that Gryph is weirdlystrangeso talkative. I hate the whole brains thing as much as the next person. *snicker* At least you aren't being told that your brains have been eaten multiple times.
    Hehe. Hehehehe. Hahhaahaaaaa. MAUAHAHAHA

You started it, anyway. It's not like you didn't know I was carniverous. XD And I wasn't the only one!
    Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

I loved that book. Then again, i loved all those books. I just found it really cool though. I mean with everything going on there. I'm going to cut off before I spoil something.
      I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
      For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Wizards Abroad was my absolute favorite book. The descriptions of Ireland, and the comical introduction of foxes, cats, horses, and even a crow was so enjoyful for me. In a way, DD wrote of a world different from the one here in the U.S., and I enjoyed every minute of reading about it.
        Magic exists everywhere you look because you choose to see it. Magic exists inside of me because I welcome it. Magic and energy are one and the same. Energy and magic will always exist.

Comment

I feel a certain affinity for AWA, as I have often felt like Nita did in going to another place and not being sure about what I'm doing in that place. I found the descriptions among my favorites as I always love learning about other places that I may never be able to see with my own eyes beyond the TV or pictures in a book (words paint those pictures just fine). DD did one of the best jobs I've ever seen with that painting of the scene, Thanks DD!
          There is Always DEEP Shadow where there is MUCH Light!
          "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

Absolutely!

Yes! I loved this book. I have always wanted to go to Ireland, seeing as my grandmother is Irish, and there is some distant relatives over there still...
            Plus, I have always found older culture's mythologies fascinating and loved that DD delved into the Irish lore. I have read AWA more than any other book in the series, it is definitely at the top of my favorites.

Comment

Hmmm...thread resurrection as a break from studying for finals? Oh yes.

Wizard Abroad is definitely my favorite book, for more than a few reasons. First of all, it was the first YW book I read; ten years ago, as a 4th grader, I didn't really see the comment on the back about how it was the 4th book in the series. (have I seriously been reading these books for a decade already? I know that's not a long time compared to people like Kli and Garrett...but that makes me feel old!) I picked it up because...well, I was going to say because I liked wizards due to Harry Potter, but I read it before Harry Potter, come to think of it. I guess I just liked that it was about Ireland!

The story also captivated a younger me, even though I remember some of the Irish mythological beings as hard to tell apart (not so anymore, I wrote a 20 page paper on Irish mythology last year for a class.) It's just...there's magic! And time traveling! And mythology! I definitely didn't understand a lot of what happened in the book actually, looking back on it now.

It actually still is my favorite YW book, even though I've read all the other ones since. For awhile, it even sparked my interest in studying abroad in Ireland sort of so I could see what these places in a book really were like, although I couldn't tell my study abroad coordinator that. And anyway, I'm going to Scotland instead, for multiple reasons, though I still intend to make it to Ireland someday...because of this book.

Comment

AWA is definitely my favorite book. I'm not sure why, but I thought it was neat how different wizardry was in Ireland.

When I was at the library a few weeks ago, getting the first five YW books, and when the librarian was checking out AWA, he said, "My niece says this is her favorite book in the series. It takes place in Ireland, right? She said she liked that part."
                Ars longa, vita brevis
                (Art is long, life is brief) -- Seneca

Comment

Sorry, guys, but this is my least favorite. I just found it over complex and hard to get into. When it takes you forever to finish a book because you just can't get into it, you know you don't like it. I only read it to have the background for future books.
                  "This will look great next to my restraining order from Leonard Nimoy!" ~ Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

Comment

I love this book, always have. It has so much detail that I'm more familiar with for it being closer to my country's culture than that of New York, and the fact that Ronan and his friends were wearing New Rocks the first time Nita saw them just made me squeak with glee. I think it may well be my favourite of the series so far, though High Wizardry comes close.
                    Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

• Yeah, the fact that it's in Ireland is interesting. I don't have any objection with it being in another country; that adds lots to the book.
                      I also like how Nita has a hard time adjusting to Ireland, yet she's been to other GALAXIES. I think it's a message about how it should be the same, it's her species, but it's so different. With different galaxies she expects and is prepared for the differences, but with Ireland she expects it to be pretty much the same.
                      Oh, sweet, I'm post 100!
                      Last edited by estar9821; August 20, 2011, 08:35:54 PM.
                      "This will look great next to my restraining order from Leonard Nimoy!" ~ Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

Comment

Working...
                      X