This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wizardling:
    Secondly: There has been a YW IRC channel - #youngwizards - on irc.freenode.net for months. PM amongst others helped set it up. It is disappointing for me to see it ignored.
    Oh, really?! Then what a waste it was to make this new one! But, I'm curious... why was the one that's been around for months made? Was there a big, making-so-nobody-could-get-in-to-chat issue with Chime/Cedric?

This is another thing that was before my time; I came here even after Peter Murray passed.... I SO wish I could have been around with him for as long as possible, even if it meant only a week, so I could have gotten to know him well like most of the members here do....
    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Secondly: There has been a YW IRC channel - #youngwizards - on irc.freenode.net for months. PM amongst others helped set it up. It is disappointing for me to see it ignored.
      The problem that Jarett and I had with that IRC channel was that at the time, we knew of no easy way to access it, whereas Alternet has a very convenient web interface. As such, we decided to spare the members of chat a 5 page pictues + text walkthrough on mIRC/Colloquy, and just direct them to the webpage, as my first post in this topic does.

On the issue of it being ignored, it may be resurrected if a gain can be seen shifting from alternet to freenode; thus far, alternet hasn't had any significant netsplits, which is good for stability - but if you can raise an issue as to why we should move back, that can be accomplished.

Finally, I would add that there was a discussion on what to call the alternet chat, and by popular acclaim it was named 'Peter' - in honor of our late mod.

We miss you, Peter.
      Omnia mutantur; nihil interit.
      Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizardling:
        Yes, initially I wondered why it hadn't been picked up, but the web interface provided by AfterNET does seem to provide a less un-Chime-like interface to IRC, which does make it easier for some folks to get into. Being a web-chat, it ought also to be accessible through web ports in the same way Chime was, and not fall foul of blocks on IRC. Theoretically.

In the end it doesn't matter all that much which Net hosts the channel, or even that there are several alternatives, so long as the channel(s) provide an appropriate path for communication...
        -- Rick.

Comment

For the record, the chat is on Afternet, not Alternet as Sean said

Eric, the reason it was not a waste to create this new chat is because it isn't new. We *moved* the IRC channel from the old IRC server to the new one for ease-of-use reasons.
          +++ATH0

Comment

For the record, the chat is on Afternet, not Alternet as Sean said Smile

Eric, the reason it was not a waste to create this new chat is because it isn't new. We *moved* the IRC channel from the old IRC server to the new one for ease-of-use reasons.
            Oh, OK. For some reason that was confusing me... I swore to myself as I read Sean's reply that it was something different....

So... you're saying that the IRC channel doesn't exist at irc.freenode.net anymore, that it's been deleted, and it was moved to Afternet? If I go there and try to enter #youngwizards there it'll say there's no such thing?
            "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Originally posted by EricG1793:
              ...So... you're saying that the IRC channel doesn't exist at irc.freenode.net anymore, that it's been deleted, and it was moved to Afternet? If I go there and try to enter #youngwizards there it'll say there's no such thing?
              That isn't the way IRC works. With very few exceptions, anyone can create a channel by joining it. You could /join #EricG1793 and it would "be there" just as much as anything else.

But no one goes to Freenode anymore for the IRC chat simply because no one goes there. It's more difficult to use, so we moved the "institution" of the IRC chat to Afternet.

[trimmed the quote to the relevant bit. --kli]
              +++ATH0

Comment

OK thank you. That clarifies my confusion/concern.

I miss Chime much right now.... Has Garrett or Kathy opened it chat and been in it with other members yet?

Comment

Originally posted by EricG1793:
                  So... you're saying that the IRC channel doesn't exist at irc.freenode.net anymore, that it's been deleted, and it was moved to Afternet? If I go there and try to enter #youngwizards there it'll say there's no such thing?
                  At present #youngwizards on FreeNode will re-direct you to ##youngwizards (because FreeNode's rules changed a bit a while back). If you go there you may find one or two other folks, and for the moment anyway, you'll also find a ChanServ keeping the channel alive. However, the AfterNET incarnation is currently getting more live users...
                  -- Rick.

Comment

This is totally off subject, because I'm really not gushing pixel blood at the loss of chat, to be honest, and I know this scene as pretty much come and gone, but Kathy, I just couldn't stand it...

*HUGS* I love you

That was beautiful. Seriously. The length of one's attention span added to the amount of true devotion to any story seems to be the dividing line between fans that last for the duration of the novel and fans that last a lifetime.
                    "In the contemporary world where things fall apart and the center will not hold, you have to imagine a community where there is no center." - John Green

Comment

You guys have seriously gotta stop giving me all this positive reinforcement for ranting like a maniac. [HUGS back].

The thing is, I've read DD's Trek novels which is seeing DD being a Star Trek fan, so I know how much higher the art and devotion of being a fan can go.
                      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by kli6:
                        You guys have seriously gotta stop giving me all this positive reinforcement for ranting like a maniac. [HUGS back].
                        But it was good ranting like a maniac, and it got the point across, and the fact that what fans like you and Garrett do is much more than most of us can think about doing even. You're making me wish I was able to make myself have the time to do something for the fandom, though I know I at this point don't have the ability to.

Oh, and so you know, you would make a great Reverend Mother . From what I've seen online you have some of the necessary requirements and abilities of someone who is that type of person.

And Sean, if you want help on IRC primer, I can help you with that, that much I do have time for(read: need to take break from homework), and some knowledge.
                        We will remember you PM. And your little GingerBear.

Comment

sorry kli. we'll reinforce you till the ends of time (even if you rant at us for it, therefore creating more applause. :P) and if this IS off topic...well, at least the admins have joined us in it. :P anyways, most of the topic IS on topic...kinda. it's discussing the alternatives that have been forced to be oppened due to the closing of chat, which kinda relates...*doesn't mind the new chat, obviously, due to personal reasons, but hopes that one day we can get the old chat back...even if i WILL miss everyone all over again until i get a laptop or something*
                          I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                          For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Originally posted by kli6:
                            The thing is, I've read DD's Trek novels which is seeing DD being a Star Trek fan, so I know how much higher the art and devotion of being a fan can go.
                            Everyone has listened to the Wizcasts, right?

There's a line in one of them where Diane said, "She who commits fanfic will live to have it committed upon her." :-)
                            "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Okay, I should've responded to this topic a long time ago. I don't know if I've broken the ToS. But I want to appologize to Diane Duanne in general. I understand how she feels after this, and I think we should try to fix this. I just ask that she give us one more chance with the chat. I've met a lot of the people in the chat, and it seems like most of them are good people and I think that if they aren't the ones in chat that are should keep them in line; not to the point they act like mini-mods though, that's not good. But I want to support DD in her choice to close chat, true I'm sad it had to be done, but it seems to be the only way to show people she means business. Besides, what can be closed can always be opened again in due time... Unless they lock it and forget the key or something to that extent.
                              ---------------------------
                              I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Call me nasa, it's a tradition.... don't ask...

Comment

Great job, Not So Silent One, that one, six line (for me) post made all the points right here! Short and sweet, and to the point. It summarizes what we all have to say, basically.

I think the chat should stay closed for a little bit longer, maybe another month or so.... But whenever it does get opened, we have all reflected upon our mistakes by having the privilege of chat taken away from us. Somewhat soon, we will be ready to show to DD, Lee, Garrett, and Kathy that we can be responsible and are deserving of the privilege of chat.

Since the admins have no ways of monitoring the IRC channel, they have no reason to open the chat for us just yet, since they don't know whether things are fine in there or if they're just as bad. Therefore it's completely to their discretion to reopen the chat, whenever they feel we're ready. In the meantime, we'll have to do our best in the forums to prove ourselves worthy of chat again.

Comment

Working...
                                X