Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Garrett. I knew I could count on your solemn support at a time like this, thelefeh .

My apologies again to everyone for the loss of temper and the yelling. I will try and be good, now.
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I would say that if the chat was to have a rating it would have been PG or PG-13 with what was in there. But no more than that.

Comment

My apologies again to everyone for the loss of temper and the yelling. I will try and be good, now.
        Aw, come on, Kathy, that's no fun. :-) A little loss of temper is good for the soul -- and also good for Diane not getting sued. :-)
        "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

a good long rant is GOOD for you once in a while...particularly for you when you consider how much you no doubt have to rant about, dealing with us posters every day.
          I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
          For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Reen, we've been trying to keep it at PG, with only occasional lapses into PG-13, and what would happen with certain folks was that it would stay firmly in PG-13 and lapse over into R.

Garrett, YR: yes, it's good as an occasional thing, the problem is I'm perfectly capable of constantly grumbling and supplying a steady stream of this kind of stuff. Why do you think they used to call me the Rev. Mom back in the day? [eyeroll]
            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

you see, that's why i said once in a while! you have to let it build up a bit before you let it out....*has ranted more then once in topic of randomness, where no one actually has to read it*
              I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
              For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Originally posted by kli6:
                Why do you think they used to call me the Rev. Mom back in the day?
                Beats me.

Here, put your hand in this box. Now don't move...
                "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Snort.

Have you ever translated quamdiu se bene gesserit into English? It means "as long as s/he behaves well". [snicker] And dude, your hand is going in that box. You're making the newbies think one-liners are ok. You are never gonna master The Voice if you go on like this, let alone prana-bindu.

For those who have no idea what we're talking about, you may wish to read a little book by Frank Herbert called Dune.

Comment

You two are cracking me up.

It's been 10+ years since I read the book and I don't remember much about it, but I'm a fan of the Sci-Fi channel miniseries (Dune and CoD both).

Hmm, I should put Dune on my TBR list, it's practically a new read by now...

Comment

Snort.

...And dude, your hand is going in that box. You're making the newbies think one-liners are ok. You are never gonna master The Voice if you go on like this, let alone prana-bindu.
                      Snort.

My "problem" is that I express myself in the fewest needed words to get my point across. While I can go on at some length when needed, it's something I prefer not to waste time and effort on. After all, I'm writing this big paragraph to get across what was expressed in the first dozen words or so.

...Oh, Lord. The Feline Wizards and the Hesper's people, on the Enterprise, with guns. :-)
                      ----
                      avoiding double post
                      Dune isn't so much on my to-be-reread list at the moment: I think I got as much out of it as I was going to get in the first few reads. Tigana, on the other hand, still has material for me to mine...

Comment

Originally posted by bluesalamanders:
                        You two are cracking me up.
                        We aim to please.
                        It's been 10+ years since I read the book and I don't remember much about it, but I'm a fan of the Sci-Fi channel miniseries (Dune and CoD both).

Hmm, I should put Dune on my TBR list, it's practically a new read by now...
                        I think I only got as far as God Emperor and then had to stop. What most of my fan friends had advised turned out to be true for me: you get diminishing returns as the series progresses.

Garrett wrote:
                        My "problem" is that I express myself in the fewest needed words to get my point across. ...
                        I know, it's an odd thought that sometimes, somehow, prolixity can be a virtue.

...Oh, Lord. The Feline Wizards and the Hesper's people, on the Enterprise, with guns. :-)
                        Didn't DD already do that with her "The Enterprise meets the Mouse that Roared. Twice" story ("Double Blind, Pt. II") in the comic book? Although I'm not sure the Hesper's people would be giant lobsters.

Ok, wrenching this back onto topic, has anybody written up a primer of sorts for the IRC channel? I think that might make a good addition to the Chat FAQ, and that we probably should add some kind of rider to it that accounts for the current state of affairs.

Comment

quote:
                          Garrett wrote:
                          My "problem" is that I express myself in the fewest needed words to get my point across. ...
                          I know, it's an odd thought that sometimes, somehow, prolixity can be a virtue.
                          [quote]

"I can be terse. Once in flight school, I was even laconic."

quote:
                          Didn't DD already do that with her "The Enterprise meets the Mouse that Roared. Twice" story ("Double Blind, Pt. II") in the comic book? Although I'm not sure the Hesper's people would be giant lobsters.
                          [quote]

Right, that was the title -- I just couldn't think of it offhand. It's not with my Duane collection, it's buried in my ST Comics box. (I considered selling the comics last year, but when I found out I'd get all of $10 for them...)

I read TMTR when I was in high school, and not since. I think it's time for a reread -- but I have to get Bridge to Terabithia first. That was a good movie, even if the music video was pretty darned sappy/repetetive....

Comment

...Ok, wrenching this back onto topic, has anybody written up a primer of sorts for the IRC channel? I think that might make a good addition to the Chat FAQ, and that we probably should add some kind of rider to it that accounts for the current state of affairs.
                            Omnia mutantur; nihil interit.
                            Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean L.:
                              What do you think such a primer should entail? Say it and I'll write one up; working 60 hours a week still leaves a couple hours a day to write Chat FAQS :P.
                              How the heck would I know? I don't do IRC. Besides, I'm modding this board, maintaining the Books and Board FAQs and working my 50 hours a week.

Speaking of users and ops, actually, why don't you come in, Kathy?
                              I'm at work most of the day. And the firewall at work doesn't let me connect to any IRC servers--those ports are closed. I've tried. RSI and a vain attempt at something approaching a real life keeps me from being on a keyboard much in my leisure hours. Not to mention the MdDS. I'd love to be there, but right now, it's more than I can do.

Oh and, what's a rider?
                              Try this definition. I was using the word in the legal sense.

Comment

First thing: I'm almost certainly partly to blame for Chime's closure. Sorry about that

Secondly: There has been a YW IRC channel - #youngwizards - on irc.freenode.net for months. PM amongst others helped set it up. It is disappointing for me to see it ignored.
                                Frog blast the vent core!

Comment

Working...
                                X