No announcement yet.

About our New Look and our New Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh wow! This place is so different!!! I like it much better!!!! I am definitely going to try and get on more. I agree with Rad about the tumbleweeds, however I need to find them myself :P
    The Answer to life the universe and everything: CREW 42!!!!!!!!
    DON'T PANIC!!!!! *two seconds later once the plan does not work* OK PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have a spelling problem. SYWTBAW

Comment

Much better. I'm much more used to vBulletin. However, I find the default font size in the ClearBlue style to be a bit small; can this be bumped up slightly?
      -----
      Jennifer (i am a soviet space shuttle)
      "He's a pinball wizard, there has to be a twist; a pinball wizard's got such a supple wrist..." -- Elton John, Pinball Wizard

Comment

I'll see what I can do about that.
        Lee / Forum Administrator

Comment

Friends

Originally posted by Rad View Post
          EDIT: Why do some people have a + after their name?
          As far as I can tell, those are the people who you've friended. This isn't really a spoiler, I just wanted to point out that we had a [spoiler] tag now. :-)

Originally posted by Char
          Fantastic.
          I can no longer hear that word without Christopher Eccleston's voice in my ear. :-)

Originally posted by Lee Enfield-Burke View Post
          Originally posted by Buran View Post
          Much better. I'm much more used to vBulletin. However, I find the default font size in the ClearBlue style to be a bit small; can this be bumped up slightly?
          I'll see what I can do about that.
          Lee, my personal preference there is to not use a default font size at all, but rather leave it up to the user. YMMV, of course.
          Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; December 3, 2008, 08:56:43 AM.
          "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett Fitzgerald View Post
            Lee, my personal preference there is to not use a default font size at all, but rather leave it up to the user. YMMV, of course.
            I think that'd be nice and I agree that the font default for this skin is currently too small, but having an option for font size would cause controversy over post lengths and could potentially use more bandwidth.
            Could the posts-per-page be increased?

EDIT: That's already an option; never mind!
            -----
            Originally posted by Rad View Post
            Why do some people have a + after their name?
            I was wondering that too. I found an explanation on the bottom of a page saying that the + means that the user that it's next too is in your contacts list.
            Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; December 3, 2008, 06:00:26 PM. Reason: double-post
            "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

It's different.

And more green-tinged.

And different.

And I'm going to go lurk again now.

-- Mousey
              "Accomplishing the impossible means only the boss will add it to your regular duties." - Anonymous
              Nita, Kit, pay attention to that one!

Comment

I needed a minute-long mental adjustment period because I frequent another vBulletin forum that used to have a similar color scheme, haha. Time warp!

This looks great.
                Metaphors be with you.

Comment

Out of curiosity, I was wondering if we will have equivalents of the 'karma' ranks that we had over at groupee. I notice that we have 'Junior Member', 'Member' and 'Senior Member' at the moment (as well as the Admins' descriptors); I assume that these are just the standard board ones. Will we get the old ones back, or perhaps new ones to aspire to?

Edit: was reading through the FAQs and just found what vBulletin refers to these as (I think): the reputation levels.
                  Last edited by alla; December 12, 2008, 08:31:00 AM. Reason: just found what vBulletin refers to these as

Comment

Karma levels

I did bring back "Possibly Posts Too Much" -- I'm waiting for word from Lee and/or Diane on whether we should continue using the old levels. vBulletin calls these "User Titles" -- there are also "User Ranks", which are, for example, 1-5 stars under the title. Ranks are customizable by usergroup: Titles aren't. We might add Ranks at some point, but no hurry.

Reputation is the ability to vote on other users. For tolerably obvious reasons, this functionality is staying off. :-)
                    "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Alla, I haven't had much experience with this particular vBulletin feature, but I believe that the "Reputation" is a points system in which members can add/take away other members' points. If I liked a post you made, I'd add to your reputation, and if you did something bad, I'd take away from it.

They just introduced a system like this on a forum using the Simple Machines system; each person starts with zero "Karma", and if you're a registered and logged-in members, you can "Applaud" or "Smite" their Karma level (you're only allowed to give out/take away one point per hour [per member?]). It hasn't been a big issue/popularity contest; it's a simple way for new users to get a feel for who is a member who's contributed a lot to the forum, been helpful, gives reliable answers, etc. It has not been abused, but it definitely has the potential to!
                      Last edited by EricG1793; December 12, 2008, 02:21:17 PM.
                      "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Working...
                      X