Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About our New Look and our New Home

Friends,

After a cordial six years' association with Groupee (formerly Infopop), it's come time for our forums to change direction slightly. With this in mind, we've changed software, moving to the well-known and flexible vBulletin system. We'll be hosting the forums on YoungWizards.com, home of our main website and of the Errantry Concordance.

All the content from the forums' former home at YoungWizards.net will be migrated to YW.com over the month of December. Premium content (such as the advance chapters of A Wizard of Mars) will be moved here as well, and new, more flexible pricing structures will be put in place for these. Other content we've been charging for will become free again, as our new home allows for larger stored message numbers at lower costs.

We invite our members to have fun discovering the many new functions which the vBulletin system makes available for them. We'll be adding such features as dedicated chat over the course of the month.

Have fun!

-- Lee
    Lee / Forum Administrator

Yowza! I look forward to poking around. (Also, it's kind of cool how this isn't a massive drag on my browser - no offense to groupee, of course.)

ETA: Okay, item of creepy? The "users online" bit. It's not knowing that people are online, it's being able to see what they're doing. Jeepers.
    Last edited by Birdhead; December 2, 2008, 04:33:58 PM.
    Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Originally posted by Birdhead View Post
      ETA: Okay, item of creepy? The "users online" bit. It's not knowing that people are online, it's being able to see what they're doing. Jeepers.
      Think about it some more. If it's really an item of concern, I'll try find the setting that controls it and flip it off.
      "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Birdhead, that is a bit strange.... I've never heard of that feature even though I have some experience with this system. Personally, I don't mind it.
        "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Seeing who's browsing which message is a standard feature of vBulletin, the new forum software.

Several other forums that I visit have it, too.
          Selden

Comment

It doesn't bother me, bother me. I mean, it's not like I can switch on an invisible mode in IRL. It'll just take a mental adjustment - creepy was hyperbole
            Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

The "invisible" reading mode seems to have been disabled. It's listed in the FAQ, but it's missing from the CP Options page/ Login & Privacy section.

I think it would be appropriate for it to be enabled.
              Selden

Comment

Considering the large number of younger members in the forums, we're considering whether we want to do that or not.

-- Lee
                Lee / Forum Administrator

Comment

Are we referring to the last activity "Modifying account, searching forums" etc.? I don't see how that's a big privacy issue that is a bad thing for younger members. I'm not saying that it's OK, I just don't understand why it's a problem.

Ooh, I just changed my skin to the ClearBlue option. I really like this skin; it's a lot sleeker and more modern-looking to me. Plus I love the scheme of the Young Wizards logo at the top of the page.
                  Last edited by EricG1793; December 2, 2008, 07:28:38 PM.
                  "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

*grins w/ happy dance*
                    this is brillient!
                    no offence to Groupee, but the new look is nicer in my opinion.
                    the seperate window for replys got on my nerves.
                    “I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”
                    -Groucho Marx

Comment

How do you change your signature?? I must be blind. Haha. I can't find the edit button for the signature... or am I being lazy? I don't know which anymore.

I like this new forum!! It's really cool.

EDIT: Oooh, I just found it. Nevermind.
                      Last edited by Emi; December 2, 2008, 08:33:41 PM. Reason: FOUND IT!
                      Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
                      Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
                      It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
                      Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

Originally posted by Emi View Post
                        How do you change your signature?? I must be blind. Haha. I can't find the edit button for the signature... or am I being lazy? I don't know which anymore.
                        Go up to "User CP" - that will take you to your Control Panel so you can tweak everything. :-)
                        "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

If you go to "FAQ" at the top navigation bar:

http://www.youngwizards.com/forums/faq.php

...it'll take you to an announcement made by Lee; underneath that it gives links for FAQs of general forum usage, user profiles, etc.
                          Last edited by EricG1793; December 2, 2008, 08:45:00 PM.

Comment

This is so cool! I liked the other set up but this one seems to be easier to navigate to me... I'm sorry I've been away for so long, I've become employed full time protecting and serving (in some ways that reminds me of what Wizards are supposed to be doing) and I don't get a lot of time near a computer any more (my job has computers involved, but sites like this are not allowed according to policy, and I follow the rules like any good wizard.) I look forward to browsing through here and finding things. Thanks for sending me an email letting me know of the change.
                            There is Always DEEP Shadow where there is MUCH Light!
                            "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

Ooooh new YW-ness! And the old smilies!!! <-- That one brings back memories. Better keep Alla away from the bouncing tumbleweed thingies!

Can't wait until chat gets here!

EDIT: Why do some people have a + after their name?
                              Last edited by Rad; December 2, 2008, 11:19:48 PM.
                              ~Rachel

Comment

Working...
                              X