This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Chat software is in!

With the rollout of the v.1.2.11 Forum software, the Chime chat client has been completely overhauled! (Sound of strangled cheering in the background...)

Previously, there were two distinct client options - a DHTML chat client and a Java applet chat client. Those two clients have been dropped entirely in favor of one uniform client, written in Macromedia Flash. This means that all users must have a Flash plugin installed in their browsers in order to access the chat rooms. Most browsers these days come with Flash already installed: however, if you don't have the plugin,
    click here for Macromedia Flash Player download.

Benefits of the chat redesign include:

• Support for multiple open chat rooms in one chat window

With our new chat client, you can use tabs to access multiple open chat rooms from the same browser window. This is a much more effecient way of participating in multiple rooms.

• Improved Private Conversations

Previously, the "whisper" feature displayed private conversations that you were having with person interspersed with the postings of a public chat room. This was occasionally confusing. In the new version, you invite a user to a private room, where your conversation is always separate from public chat rooms.

• Chat Room List Viewable in Chat Window

Now you can see the complete list of available chat rooms while in the chat window. Because you can now open multiple rooms within this this window, this is a very useful addition.

• New Content Indicators

When new content is posted to a chat room that does not have focus (that you are not looking at), the tab for that room will flash and a sound will play. Sounds can be disabled by the user.

• Enhanced User Profiles

Clicking on a user name in the chat room roster provides more detailed information about the user, and display's the member's avatar.

• User-Customizable Text Size and Colors

Users can now customize the color of the color of the text used for their postings. This color is seen by all users. A users can also customize the size of the font used in the chat posting frame for all postings, as seen by the particular user. Changing the font size does not change the font size appearance for others.

• New Default Private Chat Room For Moderators

For moderated rooms, a default chat room can be created in the chat window to allow chat moderators to discuss activity in the room.

• Chat Celebrity Post Differentiation

Postings by members designated as "celebrities" are now differentiated. Celebrity text is bold and uses the default celebrity text color for the chat room skin being used. Note that celebrities can change this font color in the chat room.

...Obviously nothing in this world is guaranteed to work perfectly right out of the box: this new version of chat may well have teething problems. If it does, this is the place to talk about them, so that I can take a report to the Groupee people.

Thanks.
Lee / Forum Administrator

Lee just kinda curious but why is there a limit on how many people can go into chat????I wanted to talk to all my friends on here and I couldn't cause I wasn't allowed in there cause there is a limit....

Comment

Just a note:

Even though it says I can't get in chat because it's full, first there were 4, then 3, then 2. And still no entry into chat.

Annoyingithingstygummy.

Comment

Gigo I get the same thing. There's only 2 people in the chat room, and the error says the room is full. I even tried the W@W spoiler room, and it said no one was in there, yet the error message still said that the room had the max amount of people. If zero is the max, that's kinda sad.

Comment

Go and download the patch that Lee links to above. Its fixed it up for me on three computers - running three different OSs so yeah, its gotta be good for something

As for the new chat software: I like the pretty colours, but the lack of smilies is sad... no more s and s

Alla

Comment

Patch? What patch??? Don't see any patch....only a link to download macromedia flash.

You're telling me _that_'s the patch? O-o

Comment

yes... It was a patch two out of three times that I downloaded it. *shrugs*

*fends off Poot*

Comment

*Sigh* Why can't computers ever be simple? Chip (my computer) says that he need ActiveX for the flash "patch" but I don't know what ActiveX is or does so I'm not allowed to download it and I can't chat until I have it and the "patch". *Calms Down* Can anyone help me please?
                (\__/)
                (+'.'+)I guess I'm helping bunny
                (")_(")

Comment

Did you get that sorted out, Frosty, since you were in Chime earlier?

I've so far managed a crash in each of Firefox and Camino, another crash in Camino after downloading Flash from the link, and am now working on using it from Safari...

Internet Explorer refuses to run due to a Java problem, as does Opera. Huh.
                  Added - oh, Explorer and Opera have had that problem for a while, it's not related. I just means I can't try them out as well.
                  Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

*votes that we get Sigma chat back*

I like the colors.

Although appararantly thank god I already had flash as ya'll seem to be having issues.
                    PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
                    Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

I've used (attempted to use) the new chat on two different days, and it did eventually let me in on both. Most of the time it simply refuses to fully load, or it'll give me the error about the maximum concurrent users (even at a very small number of people in only one room), or I'll get an Internal Server Error- not connected only to chat, but to chat and the entire forum as well: something that's been happening entirely too often. Not that this is a specific chat bug, just an added annoyance.

I never thought anyone, let alone me, would say this, but Chime has started to look really, really good to me. Compared to this, it worked brilliantly. This thing... I give up. Both times I've managed to get in, it's slowed down my computer for the rest of the day.

It's just not working. I don't know if it'll ever start working. I don't think I'll be chatting much, if at all, in the future.

Comment

Support for multiple open chat rooms in one chat window

With our new chat client, you can use tabs to access multiple open chat rooms from the same browser window. This is a much more effecient way of participating in multiple rooms.
                        Does this mean that being in two rooms now only counts you as one user, rather than two, as in the old software? Is it Ok now to be in both rooms? That's how I'm interpreting it, but I'm not sure if I'm right.
                        Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

YAY!Yayyayyay! Sorrry, just got a little hyper because I can now chat in the chat room.
                          "Accomplishing the impossible means only the boss will add it to your regular duties." - Anonymous
                          Nita, Kit, pay attention to that one!

Comment

When using Internet Explorer, with flash installed, opening "Main Chat Room" generates a popup error message:

Line: 4
                            Char: 13
                            Error: invalid argument
                            Code: 0

this may be related to the problems some people are having.

It seems to be working for me in spite of this, though.

(Flash refuses to install for use with Firefox on this system for some reason. It works fine with Firefox on other systems. *sigh* )
                            Selden

Comment

A Woo and a Hoo!!

New chat!! Chime is dead!! (ish, anyway) I am very happy. And on my second try, I got in!! Woo!!

Poot, you can't get me because I'm celbrating now. Haha!!
                              just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

• Working...
                                X