DD in NY, 4/24/10: AWoM Launch Party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DD in NY, 4/24/10: AWoM Launch Party

DD has asked me to post a message confirming that she will be flying to New York for a few days in late April to do some interviews and publicity for A Wizard of Mars.

As one of these events, there will be a launch party for AWoM on Saturday, April 24, 2010, at Books of Wonder in Manhattan. We don't have an exact time of day yet, but it'll probably be during the afternoon. (The Books of Wonder website is not yet displaying information about the event, but we expect them to be sorting that out within the next week or so.) DD will be signing at this event. We'll post a link here soon for those who want to pre-order copies of AWoM from Books of Wonder for DD to sign.

Those of you who're planning to attend, please be aware that there will probably be limitations on the number of books not sourced from Books of Wonder that DD will sign. As soon as we find out what those are, we'll let you know.

There may be other New York events scheduled on this trip, probably on April 23. As soon as details on those are available, we'll let everyone know.

ETA, March 10th: More details on the signing are now being sorted out. DD will be doing a panel with several other local writers -- a "DD & Friends" event -- from 12 noon to 2 PM, with the Wizard of Mars launch party following directly after. When we get a sense on exactly how long the party is going to last, we'll put the full details up on the News & Events blog.
    Last edited by Lee Enfield-Burke; March 10, 2010, 07:29:04 PM.
    Lee / Forum Administrator

YES! As all who read the Randomness thread know, I am DEFINITELY going. *beams*

Lee, the only think I don't understand... what does this mean?
    there will probably be limitations on the number of books not sourced from Books of Wonder that DD will sign.
    As in, we can only buy books from the store for DD to sign??
    ..................~*Wolf*~..................
    AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
    Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

Aw, no touring the rest of the US? That's a pity. I'll have to order one. :-)

There will probably be limitations on the number of books not sourced from Books of Wonder that DD will sign.
      Wolf, that probably means that DD will only sign a few books bought from other stores at other times. So if you have every book in the series to this date, which you bought from other stores, you might have to pick your favorites for her to sign along with A Wizard of Mars. If you buy the rest of the series in Books of Wonder, you might get more leeway. Or all of them signed! *Dances at the thought*

You should go read the "What would you do if you met DD" thread. Or not. Shake out the jitters and have a great time! Dai!
      Last edited by dorotheia; March 6, 2010, 01:56:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by dorotheia View Post
        Wolf, that probably means that DD will only sign a few books bought from other stores at other times. So if you have every book in the series to this date, which you bought from other stores, you might have to pick your favorites for her to sign along with A Wizard of Mars.
        That's about the size of it. Since Books of Wonder is hosting this party, there has to be something in it for them in terms of sales: and there's no advantage (from their point of view) if people simply come in with piles of books that they bought elsewhere. I don't know whether the store and DD will be requiring that people who want her to sign stuff must also buy something there: we'll see how that turns out.

There are also other reasons for the limitations. At some convention signings over the past year or so, people have turned up in front of DD with whole suitcases full of books for her to sign. A few of these people have been genuine collectors, but more of them have been folks intent on getting DD's signature on multiple copies of books and then selling them at a considerable hike in price on eBay or elsewhere. Whatever their reasons or intentions, these people monopolize DD at signings and keep her from having leisure to talk to more of the fans who turn out for events like this. So keeping the total number of books per person relatively low seems smart. Fortunately, in a bookstore setting this is easier to manage.

Comment

It's not particularly reasonable to bring a whole load of books along for an author to sign in one, particularly if there's a time limit and lots of folks. It's probably fair for each person to ask for two or three, maybe four, books to be signed in one go, but if the queue's round the block then expect to be limited to one. If the queue's short and there's time, and the author's not got writer's cramp, then you could always ask whether you could join the back of the queue and bring another few round, but sometimes a bookshop may want an author to sign their stock copies...

Oh, and have a serious look round the bookshop after a signing; after all, they did host the party.
          -- Rick.

Comment

Will there be AWoM there to buy, or would pre-ordering from the store be the best option?

(This line is inserted to not be a one liner. Dai!)
            Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

Originally posted by kk View Post
              Will there be AWoM there to buy, or would pre-ordering from the store be the best option?
              Pre-order is going to be smart, I think. (DD told me earlier that there would be a contest or two on the day, and her idea was that pre-order people would be entered in these. I assume she's sorting this out with Harcourt's publicity lady.)

Books Of Wonder is apparently still trying to nail down details with the other writers who'll be there, and is waiting for this to be sorted out before they put the announcement up on the website. I think, though, that their site will shortly have the pre-order link up.

Comment

Just saw something on their website about the book signing.....

This event is free and open to all. Please note that you are welcome to bring one book from home to be signed for each book you purchase on the day of the event. If you have any questions, call us at (212) 989-3270.
                Last edited by 96bookworms; April 14, 2010, 04:58:21 PM. Reason: mistake in the [quote]
                All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they really happened. And after you are finished reading one you feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse, and the sorrow, the people and the places, and how the weather was.

Comment

So I called the bookstore this week and tried to reserve copies for me and kk... they said they can only hold copies for a certain amount of time, so I'm going to reserve them during the week of the event. =) I'm so excited! ^_^
                  ..................~*Wolf*~..................
                  AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
                  Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X