No announcement yet.

Anyone know the speech??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thank you for your help. i'm really sorry about the one liners and the signature, i'll change that ammediatly. sorry again everyone.
    -"Though speach be unlearn'd, The wisdom be earn'd,"
    Cairpre, the bard, The Lost Years of Merlin book 3
    http://inheritanceseries.freeforums....ce41240a2f1add

Comment

what is an admin and how do you talk to one?
      to answer the other part of the question, they're administraters. They basically take care of the site, add forums, delete topics...stuff like that.
      I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
      For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

admin are the equivilent of janiters at our schools. (sorry, sorry, couldn't resist poking fun at them in subtle ways. ok. that's not subtle.) No, they are people. who have power.
        I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

Dai Stiho Cousins! What are we talking about again? This is getting weird. The conversation just went from the speech, to admins being janitors. What happened? *yawns* anyone have any advice on programming a weird computer? Mine starts up at midnight and types by itself.
          Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

Is the logo on the computer like the Apple logo, but without the bite taken out of it?

I think "dai" means "go" and "stiho" (accent on the "o") means "well", judging by how it's translated. But as I understand the Speech, every species that uses it has its own way of representing it so that they are physically capable of speaking it (grinding sounds, leaves rustling, lips-tongue-teeth-larynx, scents, whatever) but it's understandable by anyone who knows the Speech. Except if you don't know enough vocabulary; it's constantly changing (language of Life itself, so it makes sense that it's alive) and has a lot of technical vocabulary and special tenses to represent concepts non-wizards don't use much. I think it's only the technical vocabulary that I've ever seen actually written in the books, besides "dai" and "dai stiho". In one book, it's mentioned that some of the symbols used in the Speech are similar to symbols in calculus and higher math.

Comment

In risk of a one-liner, which book is that? I've read all the youngwizard series, but nothing pops out to me at the moment. *hey, lookey there, I didn't do a one liner :-)*

Comment

GwenLeo: Yes. See the logo on the Errantry Concordance pages - or the actual page about the logo. (Note: This is a wiki that only DD is allowed to edit, apart from user pages.]

DD's own comment on dai stihó is here.

W.I.T.: Mrs Callahan looks at what Nita's writing at the beginning of Dilemma and the comment about calculus/higher math comes from there.
                Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

to GwenLeo, Very well put. I agree totally. And about the Apple logo, yeah, from what I've concluded, it looks just like that, but I still don't understand why. maybe so it doesn't look so conspicuous to non-wizards.As put in How wizardry workson this website,"Most non-wizards never notice wizardry. Who in the "real world" wastes time believing in the unbelievable?"

Comment

I was just thinking about the apple stuff. As i understand it, wizardry is very visual; writing down the speech and then seeing it manifest itself when spoken etc. Now Apple computers are known for their visual capabilities [I might be talking rubbish here so dont that any of this as fact, just a theory] and are known to be much better at using graphics than a normal computer. So would'ant the apple in that case be a better format/type of computer to use??
                    Fox
                    God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

To kk( in risk of another one-liner); Like you quoted, "there are no accidents". Wish mine did that, but it probobaly knows not to try nothin' around my mom. She'd freak! Example of how my mom would look: (he he-he hah hah )

Comment

true, very true. Now I see why They would use the Apple sign. But still, what's up with the no-bite thing? It still seams conspicuous to me. But, maybe it only seems conspicuous to someone who looks for it. not sure

Comment

I think it's a case of "if you know what to look for, you can find it". Non-wizards would just assume that the manufacturers made a mistake printing the logo or something; wizards (and readers) would know better.
                          Wizardry is not visible to the unbelieving heart, or something like that.
                          Anyway, my question about the apple logo was directed to kk, as a possible explanation for it "start[ing] up at midnight and typ[ing] by itself."

Comment

If MY computer started going off and typing things, it would most likely be blamed on one of my sites...the computer only ever seems to go crazy when I"M on it, so...
                            For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Sometimes I really wish I did have one of the wizard computers. How much fun would that be?
                              *stares off into space daydreaming* umm, anyways, it would be fun to own one!
                              "Dear Artificer, I've blown my quanta and gone to the Good Place!" -Fred
                              "Bombs are good. I love bombs." -Iggy from Maximum Ride

Comment

the closest thing i've gotten to a magic appliance, is a tv that would change channels, or go on and off by itself sometimes...but only when i was there. we gave it to an uncle, never did it again apparently. except once. when i was watching something on it. *finds this kinda creepy, and doesn't know what the heck could be causing something like this to happen* But then again, sometimes its funner just to wonder...cause the answer might be something boring.

Comment

Working...
                                X