Anyone know the speech??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know the speech??

All I know is "Dai Stiho!" anyone know more??
    Dif-tor heh smusma.

There's not a lot to work with, in terms of really building vocabulary or conjugating or grammar or anything. (Too bad, too; I'm a linguist and would get a real kick out of it. *g*) But if you type 'speech' into the Errantry Concordance, you'll get a list of some words and names.

Comment

cool! i'l try that
      Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

Dai is Hello and good bye.

Comment

reallY? that sounds cool..i wish DD would create some of the language like a lot of authors do...but if it has stuff to do with math and symbols like it says in the book, i guess it would be hard to create...
          I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
          For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

that would be auesome!!! It would be really cool to leard the speech, but, yeah, I bet it would be hard for her to create. to bad though...

Comment

Yeah...i know some people, like token do that...and you can learn languages in star treck, i think...Never had any urge to try it myself...I have enough trouble in french...i myself create a little bit of language for the books i'm writing, but most authors simply have an index with sayings and words that they used in the books, so they don't have to create an entire language...i mean, it's hard work, and mostly only done if they want to add either serious detail, or make more money with lessons and books...
              For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Do you mean Tolkein? Yeah, he was good at constructing his Elvin(/ish?) language. And actually, DD does include bits and pieces of the Speech in her books, you just have to look carefully. At the moment I can't recall a certain scene where she demonstrates that, but I know it's in there...somewhere. XD

-peri

Comment

I don't think so...i know she did it for the cat language, but i don't remember her actually showing us speech language one single time...Ever...she always uses english in italics or something...i could be wrong, though...and thanks for the correction in names, by the way...

Comment

Tolkein is, of course, the master of fantasy languages, but some more information about the Speech would be awesome, and I think DD could do it
                    "In the contemporary world where things fall apart and the center will not hold, you have to imagine a community where there is no center." - John Green

Comment

DD created part of the Dragon language for her Door series, and put up a webpage about how she used a computer program to help her with the Romulan language in her Rihannsu books (in the Star Trek universe).

When I was rereading the YW books to make up a timeline, I made some notes of what the books say about the Speech, including words like hrasht and sevarfrith.
                      Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

I'm certain she COULD...and she could always enlist help from a couple of mathmaticians and a linguist...but the question is...does she want too? i mean, i know we'd all love her to, but think of the time it would take....heck, think about how much it would delay us seeing her next book...

Comment

No, it seems that she doesn't want to.

See DD's posts in that topic for her reasons why not.
                          Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

alright...i have to admit, that makes a lot of sense, and i could see why she doesn't want too...i still think it would be cool, but she's right...no one could get it just right, and even if they could do it for themselves, it probably wouldn't sound right to everyone...and really, who wants people emailing them for translations day in and day out?

Comment

What my friends and I do is combine "Dai stiho" and other speech words with the ainceint language from eragon.
                              Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

Working...
                              X