Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you do if you met Diane Duane??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But what would you do, if she replied, "Oh you're that one...! I remember you!" Because y'know, it's not like she doesn't read the forums or show up in chat and stuff.

gigo35: That's a good idea. I could just bring a stack of YW boooks for her to sign. But I have so many other things in my DD collection...!
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

My brain would probably turn to mush. Then I'd ask her to sign my books.
      "Dear Artificer, I've blown my quanta and gone to the Good Place!" -Fred
      "Bombs are good. I love bombs." -Iggy from Maximum Ride

Comment

well, when you say meet, does it meen in person exactly? cause i already MET her in CHAT....when i still had chat. not that it would stop me from fainting, mind you, waking up, and doing it for another ten minutes, just for good measure, but still! it might take it down a notch from the hour it might have been toehrwise. *Grins* unless she rememembers me from the conversation, in which case i'ts up too two. (kidding! not THAT big a fan, and i've met authors before!) but i STILL would be shellshocked as always... (note, i'm not big enough a fan to faint for the first time in my life upon meeting ANYONE for anyone)(at least, i HGOPE not...it would be kinda embarresing! and an end to conversation, in all likelyhood. *Grins*)
        I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
        For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

I'm assuming 'meet' as in person. Not 'meet' as animal carcasses that people eat. In the mean time, I honestly think that I wouldn't make such a big deal about it. She's really nice, writes well, but she's not a goddess from Jupiter. At least, I hope not.
          I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

If I met Diane Duane I would probably stare at first just to see if I'm tripping or imagining it. Then I would go up to her and ask. Maybe I would ask for an autograph and then I would probably ask her when her next book will be finished.

But really when it comes down to it, I have no idea how I would act if I met a famous author or actor or something. Especially if I really liked their work.
            Writing is nice, but you have to live in the real world sometimes.-Me 09/06/07
            Writing is an art, and words are like colors.

Comment

you know, i just realized, despite everything that i've said in this...if i met her anywhere other then a booth saying "this is Diane Duane. right here, right now, this is her! the one we're pointing at, and you are about to talk to, right now, is her!" i probably wouldn't recognize her, and just talk...and then, once i found out...THEN iw ould faint. *imagines it would be something like recent experiance friend had* i'd go into the details, but i already tried that...it went on and on, so now i'm editing.
              For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Originally posted by mythbusterfan:
                I'd probably just stand like an idiot and stare. Because I have never met an author of any kind in my entire life. and i'd ask for an autograph
                That's a perfect description of what I would do.

I would certainly stare. I'd be like, "Wait, that could be anybody, what would some random person who wasn't DD think if I ran up to her and said, 'Could I have your autograph, DD? Please? I never expected you to ever been anywhere near where I live, and you are now, and you may not ever bee ever again, so could you do it PLEASE?' and I'd get a either a blank stare back, a back turned on me, a screaming at, or a good whacking with a pocketbook or other harmful heavy object that a woman may be carrying".

If I saw other people staring at her and swarming her, I'd patiently and politely work my way up to her and say my user name on Youngwizards.net is EricG1793, I read SYWTBAW in early 2006, I like each book more than the last, can't wait until the next one comes out, query about how her cats are doing, etc.

However, if she was actually at a book signing, etc. near me, I'd observe people who were there also (aside from having the brief conversation I listed in the last section) and wonder if they were members here at Youngwizards.net.... Although for personal security I don't think I'd tell people who I thought may be a member here what my username is... that wouldn't be very smart and may lead to some... ah... issues. What I'd do was start a thread where people can talk about if they were at the signing and what they were doing....
                "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

Well, we could also work out some kind of secret handshake or something to identify each other by. Or, more simply, just wear t-shirts from DD's Cafepress.

I'd also recommend finding a picture of DD and listening to the WizCast. That will probably help you from misidentifying the wrong person as Our Beloved Author, if ever you should be at a SF con. Also, SF cons are geat for those of us with no name memories: everybody has to wear a name badge.

And get to a booksigning or two! They're fun!!
                  New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Also, SF cons are great for those of us with no name memories: everybody has to wear a name badge.
                    I had a moment of imagining what a truly effective badge would look like. "Hi, my name is [TUI] but you may also know me as [BIRDHEAD] from [THE YOUNG WIZARDS FORUMS, JOURNALFEN, AND EARLY NET EXPERIENCES, SO SORRY] or [LABELLEMENTEUSE] from [LIVEJOURNAL]..."

I think you'd soon run out of space in those little laminated clippy things.

On the other hand, a secret handshake would be <i>awesome.</i> I've always kind of wanted a secret handshake. Ideally, it should be something performable over very large oceans, so we can all play...
                    Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Actually, I've always been partial to:

Hello, my name is...

INIGO MONTOYA
                      YOU KILLED MY FATHER
                      PREPARE TO DIE
                      *grin*
                      "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

the princess bride? *wants to reread it, and has it checked out and at home already* i hardly remember it...though the movie (seem recently for the first time all lthe way through that i can rmemeber) was brilliant...
                        and i'd prefer the secret handshake thank you very much. :P and why would i want to recognize her? if i recognized her, i'd most likely faint...If i DIDN"T recongnize her i could just faint later when it didn't matter any more since i'd already talked to her. (later preferably being when i glanced down at something she had autographed. :P) i could barely TALK last time i saw an author of a book i liked. (which was also the first time) don't need a repeat! (i shouldn't have even been able to see THAT author, i don't think, since i didn't have my own copy of the book...but there ARE benefits to having the school librarian like you. :P)

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett Fitzgerald:
                          Actually, I've always been partial to:

Hello, my name is...

INIGO MONTOYA
                          YOU KILLED MY FATHER
                          PREPARE TO DIE

*grin*
                          You and Mike Ford. I heard about the story where the weekend the movie opened, and they were all at a Con, and Mike rushed out, bought those "Hello, My Name is..." tags, and filled them in with the Princess Bride quote.

I used to think that was the coolest name badge ever, until I saw Len Wein wearing one of these. Now, I just wait for the t-shirt. I mean, if they can make this....

Personally, instead of a secret handshake, we could identify each other by just greeting with a "dai" or "dai stiho". "Dai stiho, hrasht" might be overkill, though.

As for the nerves thing--practice practice practice. Go to lots of booksignings. I mean, hell, I've been able to talk to Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, and Dorothy Dunnett, only because I've met scads of authors through booksignings. They're really cool people, but still just people, and insanely approachable. They like talking to people who like what they write, usually (Harlan Ellison--well--good luck).
                          Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; August 26, 2009, 10:59:01 AM.

Comment

Wow, that shirt's awesome Pretty Lights! Okay, I'll calm down and actually talk about the topic Yep, I think "dai stiho" is the way to go (hee hee that rhymes XD) And I don't think I can even pronounce "hrasht", so no worries about that But a secret handshake would be fun...
                            "...For my own part, I known my job; my commission comes from Those Who Are. My paw raised is Their paw on the neck of the Serpent, now and always..." - The (Kitty) Catechism
                            Define the universe and give 3 examples.

Comment

Being concise, I'd try not to squee (after all, I've been a fan since I was 13, kinda hard *not* to), tell her how much I enjoy her books, and offer to buy her a beer or another beverage of choice.

Not very exciting, but 'tis the honest answer.

-- Ruth
                              "Never send a monster to do the work of an eeeeeevil scientist!"

Comment

DameRuth, may I just say how much I adork your avatar? :-)

I just checked, and you can actually fit "Hello, my name is..." 3 times on that badge and still have room at the end for "STOP SAYING THAT!"

I need more practice with booksignings: when I had the chance to get Lois Bujold to sign A Civil Campaign, I couldn't even think to say that I had signed Butterbug One before it was lost. When I got The Way Things Work
                                Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; August 26, 2009, 11:01:27 AM. Reason: fix unicode, spell out ACC
                                "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

Working...
                                X