Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you do if you met Diane Duane??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's see.... Meeting a favorite author? I'd attempt asking logical, intelligent questions---and then compeltely freak out. Just like the rest of us. Maybe somewhere in there I'd remember to get an autograph. ^^;
    ---
    Interesting (adj.) - Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?

Comment

Originally posted by Buran:
      I'm just the type to quietly say "hi, I really enjoy your books". I don't do well in noisy places because I'm hearing-impaired and hearing aids amplify all the background noise, too.
      I really need to stop these long absences... I did it again! Anyway, turns out she's the guest of honor at a convention I'm going to this June, so I wonder if my above prediction will come true or not.

I'm probably going to bring my beat-up SF Book Club omnibus of the original trilogy and see if I can't get it autographed. Of course, given my nitpicking on the Apollo 15 LRV "thing" (which you can find in the nitpick forum), I'm tempted to print up a pic of Jim Irwin saluting the flag from A15 or a pic of Orion from A16, bring a silver Sharpie, and get THAT signed.

Or maybe both ...

Should I send an email or private message and try to let her know I'm coming and ask about this, or not? I'm not sure.
      -----
      Jennifer (i am a soviet space shuttle)
      "He's a pinball wizard, there has to be a twist; a pinball wizard's got such a supple wrist..." -- Elton John, Pinball Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by KizzyShima:
        Let's see.... Meeting a favorite author? I'd attempt asking logical, intelligent questions---and then compeltely freak out. Just like the rest of us. Maybe somewhere in there I'd remember to get an autograph. ^^;
        Why does everyone say they would freeze up or freak out? DD is already so well known to us. She does monthly chats, visits these forums whenever she has time, updates her Blog at least once a day. It's like we all already know her as an acquaintance. What's there to freak out about? I'd just say "Hello." Then, I may add "Nice to meet you."

Comment

Another unlock-and-bump. Because while I was looking at the new Drupal-based yw.com site, I ran into this little tidbit at the bottom of the page:
          Book signings happen mostly around the time a new book is released, or when DD is scheduled to attend a nearby science fiction convention or other event in the USA or Europe. ...
          DD will be visiting the US several times during the late summer and autumn of 2007, and signing events will be associated with these visits. Please check the Young Wizards news and events weblog during August, September and October for more information on specific events, locations and times. Information can also be found at the YoungWizards.com author signings and appearances page.
          So... what would you do if you met Diane Duane? (And I suppose, corollary-wise, we may have to extend our guesstimate for when WoM comes out...)
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

I would so totally freak out, an dthen ask her everything that popped into my head about the YoungWizard Sereies, just like anybody else. That would be so awsome! And I still can't wait till the chat on March 3rd! It'll be so awsome. I can't get over it. I'm still bummed about missing the last one.
            Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; August 26, 2009, 10:50:07 AM. Reason: fix color tag

Comment

If I met Diane Duane, I'd probably act casually... Which for me is insanely hyper.

I'd act casually because as my mum says "She is a person just like everyone else. She has just written a few books."
              <hr color="brown" width="50%" align="center" size=2>
              (\__/)
              (+'.'+) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
              (")_(") signature to help him conquer the world.

"Saying you're lurking defeats the point. It's also a waste of a line." Wildflo

Comment

I have an appalling memory for faces, so I would probably think to myself "I'm sure I recognise that person..." - and then realise who it was three hours later.
                "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

I'm one of the people who can answer this one non-hypothetically. I sat in on one of her panels at a convention in 19mumblemumble, and afterwards went up in the signing line. When I got up to the front, I asked, "How much can I reasonably ask you to sign?" She responded, "How much do you have?" I pulled the backpack up and dumped it on the table. :-) Besides the books she had published at that time, I had a laser printout of the complete lyrics to "Enterprise, Starship" which she had posted to Compuserve at some point. (At this point, it was still fairly unusual to have it: heck, dot-matrix wasn't all that common!) I still have it tucked away somewhere, probably with the autographed Majel Barrett picture from the same con. ("What do you mean that's Nurse Chapel? She's not blond....")
                  "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

I suppose if i had met her at a signing, i'd be alright...the previous knowledge that i was going to meet her would give me time to get used to the fact...if i suddenly found myself talking to her...*Fainting from shock comes to mind* not because she's a great auther...just at the shock that i would somehow mangage to "just suddenly find myself talking to her"
                    I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                    For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett Fitzgerald:
                      ... When I got up to the front, I asked, "How much can I reasonably ask you to sign?" She responded, "How much do you have?" I pulled the backpack up and dumped it on the table. :-) ...
                      Unsurprisingly, I did something similar, and had a stack of about a dozen books (no compuserve posting printouts, though. I was not on compuserve, because that took actual money, and I was a student). I did have the Gallo anthology with "Midnight Snack" in it, though. Happily, there were only three or four other people in line (it was a very small signing at the Other Change of Hobbit), so I just let them all go first, and then brought out the Pile, and she signed all of them.

These days, I'm not sure what I'd bring to a signing. Probably far too many books, again.
                      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

if i ever met her, i don't know what i'd do i'd either faint from shock or start talking really fast in a high pitched voice because i'd be so nervous.

Comment

I would... dazzle her with my inteligence and maturity!

*rolls eyes* you believed that for more than a millisecond?!?!?!

seriously, I would... start talking to her like a normal human being. Yeah, right. More like I would talk to her like a divine goddess of worlds to get lost in for hours at a time!
                          I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

If it was at a book signing, I would be completely freaking out and have all eight YW ready for signing. If just on the street, I'm not sure if I'd recognize her. I've seen pictures (okay, one and it was really old) but I have a terrible memory for faces. Of course, book signings occur so rarely in my area that I probably wouldn't ever get to meet her *sighs*
                            "...For my own part, I known my job; my commission comes from Those Who Are. My paw raised is Their paw on the neck of the Serpent, now and always..." - The (Kitty) Catechism
                            Define the universe and give 3 examples.

Comment

I would probably go "HI! I'm Cress...you yelled at me once because I broke your website. That's probably not the first thing I should have told you, because now you hate me but HA! You spoke to me out of all the people on your website! I'M SPECIAL!" And then feel like a complete dweeb.
                              The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
                              I promise not to funfun anymore
                              Be happy cause life is good

Comment

I would first of all, almost die, and then I would say, "I know you won't remember my name, but you emailed me when my dad got mad at you because my autographed book didn't come in from ebay. " then, like cress, I would feel like an idiot haha
                                -AND I AM GOING TO EAT....IT... ALLLLLLLLLLLLL

Comment

Working...
                                X