The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rysade View Post
    I didn't know you were a programmer, Kathy!
    Bite your tongue! I am not a programmer, nor have I ever (save one brief summer internship) been one. I am a technical writer.

With an electrical engineering and computer science degree.

I know about programming. But it's not the same as being a coder.
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kathy Li View Post
      Bite your tongue! I am not a programmer, nor have I ever (save one brief summer internship) been one. I am a technical writer.

With an electrical engineering and computer science degree.

I know about programming. But it's not the same as being a coder.
      This is very true - my mom used to be a technical writer for Bell and Zenith, but her degree was in English and Philosophy, so definitely not a coder. (Not to say that you can't have a degree in English and Philosophy and also be a coder...anyway.)

Comment

• I took a Visual Basic course and found it to be fairly interesting. Then I was forced to take a C++ course for my (now former) degree path, and that was...regrettable. I'm just glad I was able to drop the course.

Comment

• Consider it well and truly bitten! I suppose I merely meant that you were code-literate, an important distinction that I am now strongly aware of.

I presume someone has already made direct comparisons to software programming and The Speech? I seem to recall the topic has been discussed before...

Dai, eowyngirl, White Falcon. I don't believe I have been active here since you joined.

Comment

Consider it well and truly bitten! I suppose I merely meant that you were code-literate, an important distinction that I am now strongly aware of.

I presume someone has already made direct comparisons to software programming and The Speech? I seem to recall the topic has been discussed before...

Dai, eowyngirl, White Falcon. I don't believe I have been active here since you joined.
            Dai, Rysade!

Comment

Ages ago on an older incarnation of this board, I started a thread where the game was to write up bug reports/fixes for the online version of the Manual.
              New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Kathy, was that the previous Eve forum, or was there a predecessor to that one as well and your thread never got migrated?

I just got a friend hooked on YW! He's the director of the community chorus I sing in and we've become good friends. I don't remember how it happened, but we were probably discussing books we liked to read, and I came up with YW, and we decided that I'd lend him a couple of the books for him to check out. We went to Boston last Thursday for a performance as part of the Boston Early Music Festival, and on the way up and down, I read him the prologue and first chapter of SYWTBAW. Then he went on a SYWTBAW binge today! I think the most exciting thing about YW for both of us is how deep DD can be in her descriptions of dramatic scenes and of the Art itself and how wizardry plays a part in life, slowing entropy, alternate worlds, etc. YW really makes you think about things in a different light that you would never otherwise.
                Last edited by EricG1793; June 17, 2015, 06:15:46 PM.
                "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

• Originally posted by EricG1793 View Post
                  I just got a friend hooked on YW! He's the director of the community chorus I sing in and we've become good friends. I don't remember how it happened, but we were probably discussing books we liked to read, and I came up with YW, and we decided that I'd lend him a couple of the books for him to check out. We went to Boston last Thursday for a performance as part of the Boston Early Music Festival, and on the way up and down, I read him the prologue and first chapter of SYWTBAW. Then he went on a SYWTBAW binge today! I think the most exciting thing about YW for both of us is how deep DD can be in her descriptions of dramatic scenes and of the Art itself and how wizardry plays a part in life, slowing entropy, alternate worlds, etc. YW really makes you think about things in a different light that you would never otherwise.
                  That's so exciting! I have yet to actually get anyone to read the books, but I've been talking about them at every possible opportunity for a while now and have gotten a couple of people interested...I think I may have to buy ten or so extra copies of SYWTBAW so I can foist them on people in such situations.

Comment

• Originally posted by EricG1793 View Post
                    Kathy, was that the previous Eve forum, or was there a predecessor to that one as well and your thread never got migrated?
                    Honestly? I've lost track.

But apparently, the second thread is still live:

http://www.youngwizards.com/forums/s...al-Bug-Reports

Comment

• I was down at the river yesterday taking some whitewater pictures. After a while, I started messing with the shutter speed, and came up with the following result at 1/15".

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4991-L.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	77392

When I posted it to my commerce site at SmugMug, I needed a title. After a bit, I realized that the only one that made sense to me was "Timeslide".
                      "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

RYS! Dai cousin, it's been too many, many years! I was afraid you'd disappeared forever long ago.

Originally posted by Garrett Fitzgerald View Post
                        I was down at the river yesterday taking some whitewater pictures. After a while, I started messing with the shutter speed, and came up with the following result at 1/15".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16[/ATTACH]

When I posted it to my commerce site at SmugMug, I needed a title. After a bit, I realized that the only one that made sense to me was "Timeslide".
                        I used to be an avid whitewater paddler and I often had similar thoughts on the river. There's something about whitewater that just seems entirely out of time.

ETA: with this post, I've pwned the TOGR to 1337 page. I'm not worthy of this honor.
                        Last edited by Caitlin; July 24, 2015, 08:16:29 PM.
                        PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
                        Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

• That is a good whitewater picture Garrett

And Caitlin, why aren't you whitewater paddling anymore! This is a problem!!!!! Unless the reason you aren't doing so is because you've moved somewhere that doesn't have much in the way of whitewater rivers and you're only doing other paddling. This is an acceptable reason.

I've never actually gotten into whitewater. I've meant to, but its something that hasn't happened yet. It'll happen sometime in my future. I don't know how much I'll do, but I need to some, if I don't then things are wrong.

What I am is a sea kayaker. Actually, currently, we're building me a new kayak. It'll be paddlable tomorrow, and I'll take it for its first real trip celebrating my mom's 60th birthday! However, it won't be done, because what's really awesome about this kayak is that its a folding kayak. What won't be done is that we need to install a zipper onto the skin so that it can unzip, come off, and then frame unfolds so that its portable without needing to carry it in its 17 foot length. So I could carry my boat on the commuter rail for example.

I've been rather very obsessive about my new kayak as its been being built.

Also, as someone who has a math and computer science degree, has been teaching kids programming (as well as math and social skills and so many other things), and is absolutely not a programmer, I feel I need to have something to add to that conversation, but I just don't know what to add.
                          We will remember you PM. And your little GingerBear.

Comment

• Originally posted by Caitlin View Post
                            RYS! Dai cousin, it's been too many, many years! I was afraid you'd disappeared forever long ago.
                            I was afraid of that too!

It's actually kind of surprising just how many of the old crew is still around... somewhere.

I guess on the internet nobody is ever really gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Garrett Fitzgerald View Post
                              I was down at the river yesterday taking some whitewater pictures. After a while, I started messing with the shutter speed, and came up with the following result at 1/15".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16[/ATTACH]

Ooh, I like it! A lot.

Comment

I guess on the internet nobody is ever really gone.
                                The only thing that this made me think of was http://www.gnuterrypratchett.com/

And having a one sentence reply weirds me out so much. I'm not supposed to have so short of replies on here. I'm doing that whole "growing up" thing.
                                We will remember you PM. And your little GingerBear.

Comment

Working...
                                X