No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Game" is, I think, sitting on my mountain of books-to-be-read at the moment, in the company of uncle PTerry's latest and a few dozen others... I need more reading time...

...and the BBC also transmitted a dramatisation of Douglas Adams' "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" a couple of weeks back. *sigh* That was one of the dramatisations Pete was looking forward to. He'd also have enjoyed the Dr. Who special during last Friday's charity fund-raising "Children in Need" evening on the BBC.
    -- Rick.

Comment

• Yes, I was thinking of Peter, too, when I got my hands on PTerry's Making Money. It feels very strange not to be able to talk to him about that, the Dirk Gently radio series, or things Whovian.

And yes, I need more reading time, too. Luckily for us USAnians, Turkey Day is upon us, and I get a four-day weekend. I'm hoping to finish The Game and maybe even the new Sharon Shinn, The General's Daughter.

-----
      Addendum: btw, speaking of Discworld and DD...
      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lazy Leopard:
        He'd also have enjoyed the Dr. Who special during last Friday's charity fund-raising "Children in Need" evening on the BBC.
        Indeed. That was truly a reduce-the-size-of-your-fundament mini-episode. :-)

And back to the Books topic: one of my LJ friends posted a review of World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, by Max Brooks, that made me want to run out and buy it. I haven't yet, but it's very high on my list of to-be-reads.
        "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

• Kathy why the game now i just lost. (wonder how many people hate me now? ) So books. Working my way throught valliant and iornside. I never seemed to get around to them for some reason. Ugh nano and schoolwork destroys all notion of free time. People keep telling me to read twilight so i guess i will check that out. Lots on my plate. Come december the books flow back into my life.
          (\__/) "Be amazing"
          (+'.'+)
          (")_(")

Comment

• ...and my brain must be really faded at the moment. "The Game" is in the pile of books-recenty-read. I realised this as soon as I opened it. On the same pile are the first three Andre Norton "Magic" books, while the fourth, "Dragon Magic", waits to be read.
            -- Rick.

Comment

• Ooo! I remember Dragon Magic! Geez, it's been ages since I've read that one. I really loved how Norton managed to come up with not just one but four completely different dragons. It seems as if (post-Anne McCaffrey), all dragons must be telepathically bonded to a rider these days... :eyeroll:

Ooo! Look, a sequel!! I squee.
              New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Curiously, one of the things I liked about the first three of the "Magic" books (and this is the first time I've encountered them, thanks to a recent re-print) is that each book is self-contained, with a satisfying end, and doesn't need a sequel, but there's just enough form in common to let me know what, broadly, I should expect. There are only so many on-going series (and authors) I can afford to keep reading. When I pick a book up these days, one of the first things I look for are words on the cover along the lines of "... of the insert-grand-title-here series...", and if I spot it the book's quite likely to go straight back onto the shelf. The only reason I looked any further at the "Magic" books was because they were obviously slim volumes from the shelves in the kids' section. I'd never have started reading the Harry Potter series if I'd known the later volumes were going to be six or seven hundred pages long...
                -- Rick.

Comment

• Originally posted by kli6:
                  It seems as if (post-Anne McCaffrey), all dragons must be telepathically bonded to a rider these days... :eyeroll:
                  Meredes Lackey also wrote a book where dragons aren't bonded to humans. check out elvenbane, elvenblood, and elvenborn. they're pretty good.

has anyone read the Young Wizards books? just kidding
                  has anyone read "brightly burning?
                  "If his grin was any wider the top of his head would have fallen off"
                  -Terry Pratchett
                  Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata, Master of Technology

Comment

• OK wolfy lay of the HP an let me introduce you to the good stuff. May i present Tolken Asimov and Prachett. Enjoy forever. And Yes movies are never as good as the, but realy its bettter to think about a movie as a seperate story based very closley on the book. dont think about how they messed up the book but rather how good the movie was itself, regardless of the book. Just because you take a good book and make a bad movie, you could also take a bad book and make a good movie. Tell me where the directors screwed up there.
                    (\__/) "Be amazing"
                    (+'.'+)
                    (")_(")

Comment

• Yeah, I agree, in a sense. If the movie is a terrible representation of the book, just say it's its own story. Also check out Mercedes Lackey, Anne McCaffery, and Brian Jacques.
                      -Terry Pratchett

Comment

• I said I think of it seperatly earlier. Pratchett's pretty good. Jacques is good as well, but I've only read the Redwall books which I enjoyed. although I must admit HP still dominates alongside YW. Thanks for the Recomendations though. It's always nice to have more good books to read.
                        Believe something... and somewhere, it's happened

Comment

• Wolfy, have you read the "flying Dutchman books 1 and 2" from Jacques? I don't remember the names, but they're about the boy who gets trapped aboard the "flying Dutchman", before it gets haunted. They're also pretty good.
                          -Terry Pratchett

Comment

• Originally posted by vashmata:
                            Wolfy, have you read the "flying Dutchman books 1 and 2" from Jacques? I don't remember the names, but they're about the boy who gets trapped aboard the "flying Dutchman", before it gets haunted. They're also pretty good.
                            I loved those books. I have no idea what you guys are actually discussing. But The Keys to the Kingdom series by Garth Nix is awesome. The sixth book Superior Saturday is coming out in January.
                            Writing is nice, but you have to live in the real world sometimes.-Me 09/06/07
                            Writing is an art, and words are like colors.

Comment

• No, just the Redwall books. but if you remember, could you PM me or something? because I think we're off the topic of the SYWTBAW movie.

Edit: spyells: just look above. we're discussing good books we've read. And they were recommending books (author mostly) because I said that I had read the Hp books a few times...

Yes, we're getting off topic.
                              Believe something... and somewhere, it's happened

Comment

• Golly, You miss a lot in a day or two And just asking who is Asimov and Prachett?? Sorry I don't remember the names of Authors that much, what books have they written? And if you guys want good book, may I present Stuart Hill, Stroud, and the Mists of Avalon(last on is a book not an author and I would ask your parents before reading it, in case it is not appropiate for your age, or your parents disagree with the books point of view ) And have you(Wolf Wizard) read the entire Harry Potter siries, I mean each book 31 times, or in total, because if its in total I think I would also be in the 30's. These forums are really off topic, but thats okay!
                                Kardia

Comment

Working...
                                X