No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't like a lot of people in the Gifted Program.

It just seems like the Gifted Program is just something you get into so you can brag about it.

It's about as meaningless as private schooling.

I'm not in it, I don't think I was ever tested for being Gifted, but I've been to a couple sessions here and there... It was fun, but it was just games, brainteasers and the like- being in class would have been more constructive.

Kitsune Rei ~kisses taste nice~

Comment

• Quill!! Quill!!! Squeeee!!!! You need to go and read Pamela Dean's Livejournal! She's sold her joint sequel to the Secret Country books, and The Dubious Hills!

EWizard: I agree, Shade's Children is one eerie-ass book. Great. But creepy. I really hate this trend of classifying books as YA simply because the protagonists are in a certain age-range. Knee-jerk categorizing. Shade's Children doesn't belong anywhere near the kids' section of the bookstore.
      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• kli6--I just did.

*happy, happy sigh*

Comment

• Hey, look what else I found: http://www.harcourtbooks.com/bookcat...015204616X.asp

Looks like Sorcery & Cecilia's got a sequel.
          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Home sick today, so I'm rereading some of my Kathy Reichs books. Maybe I'll pull out The Beekeeper's Apprentice if I don't fall asleep first!

"Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
            "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash
            "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
            "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

• Ooh! Beekeeper's Apprentice--is that the one about Sherlock Holmes' apprentice, set post-Doyle? *bounces up and down excitedly* If so, I loved it.

The important thing about adventures, thought Mr Bunnsy, was that they shouldn't be so long as to make you miss mealtimes.
              -- (Terry Pratchett, The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents)
              My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
              OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
              --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

• Yep, that's the one. There are now six books in the series and a seventh coming out this month, allegedly.

Comment

• I didn't know there was a series beyond the first book...*is intrigued, and rushes off to borrow the rest*
                  Thanks!

The important thing about adventures, thought Mr Bunnsy, was that they shouldn't be so long as to make you miss mealtimes.
                  OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
                  --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

• Beekeeper's Apprentice? What's that one about?

I just started a book series called the 'Firebringer Trilogy'. It's about a unicorn named Aljan. Wait... 'a'???? That's really weird. Shouldn't the sentence be 'an' because it starts with a vowel...? But 'an unicorn'... Must be some gap in my learning or this is really weird.

A owl => an owl
                    an cat => a cat

'An unicorn' doesn't sound right!!!

Back to the book. Though it seems really unusual to have a book series about unicorns, it's really good. The author writes well. Contradictory to my idea of a unicorn, the main character is pretty violent. "Why don't we just kill it?" They're pretty short, around 200 pages.

-MaThFrEaK
                    "Hehehe. You smell funny."
                    "I love fish and chicken and turkey and ham and squirrels and pork and..."
                    "Izza mousey!"
                    ~Gryphon~
                    Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• *Agent~M*
                      "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                      "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                      "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                      "I could live

Comment

• PPC: omigod! You need linkage!

Russ-L is the Yahoo! group/mailing list for the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes-obsessed folks. You'll get the list of books in order.

Please be advised that the rest of the series is not YA, nor was any of it intended to be. LRK is surprised (and delighted) that lots of teen readers have latched onto Mary Russell as a personal heroine, but she basically just started writing novels because she ran out of ones she wanted to read :-). She's incredibly cool, and if you can get to one of her signings, it's completely worth it.

BTW, if you've read the Sayers Peter Wimsey series, you'll get a nice little surprise in one of the Russell books. And apparently the latest one (The Game) has Kipling's Kim in it, all grown up. We're going to India!

Skitty: The Beekeeper's Apprentice is the story of a brilliant 15-year old girl in England during WWI, who trips over a 50-something man on the Sussex downs one day who turns out to be the retired Sherlock Holmes. She becomes his detecting apprentice. The more familiar you are with "the Canon" (the Conan Doyle Sherlock Holmes stories--particularly "His Last Bow") the more fun the first book is, but you don't need to know the stories to enjoy the book.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skitty:
                          A owl => an owl
                          an cat => a cat

'An unicorn' doesn't sound right!!!
                          ~Gryphon~
                          That's because 'unicorn' starts with a "yer" sound, which is a constanant. Hence we use 'a' rather than 'an'. English is weird liek that....

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation
                          "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

• Linkageness!
                            *worships kli*

And yes, 'unicorn' is pronounced 'you-nee-korn' as opposed to 'uh-nee-korn' so it's treated as such. 'An underhanded move'...'a unifying force.'
                            Yep. English is the most messed-up language ever.

--Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

• Frankly I also like the Dragon Lance series but thats me plus they are sort of long but pretty good although my sister dosen't like them.

*Many have gone and many have stayed but one thing stays the same: Love and Hate they never go away but they can be beaten- Devin
                              *Many have come to this place and most have left it but let not their life be a mystery- Devin
                              *Many have come and gone so we need to leave a ripple before this planet is washed away- Devin
                              *Many have come and gone but few are here to stay-Devin
                              *Many have gone and many have stayed but one thing stays the same: Love and Hate they never go away but they can be beaten- Devin
                              *Many have come to this place and most have left it but let not their life be a mystery- Devin
                              *Many have come and go

Comment

• Lol. I guess I missed that detail. 'uh-nee-korn' would sound pretty weird... Might have something to do with the fact that I'm used to 'unicorn'. :P But then...
                                "a uhnycorn" doesn't sound right either.

Bartimaeus trilogy... Gotta write that down somewhere.

Oh, and don't get the "Firebringer Trilogy" mixed up with the "Firebringer." One is a sad book with a sucky ending that's about deer, and the other is about unicorns. Firebringer was actually pretty good. 'Cept that 'sucky ending'.

I was going to start Eragon right after finishing Memory, sorrow, and Thorn... but it said 'Book One' in it and I freaked. A series! I didnt want to start another series with fat books soon.

I bought 'Tailchaser's Song' by Tad Williams! I haven't started it yet, buyt it's about cats. Cats rule!!!!!

-MaThFrEaK
                                "Hehehe. You smell funny."
                                "I love fish and chicken and turkey and ham and squirrels and pork and..."
                                "Izza mousey!"
                                ~Gryphon~
                                Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Working...
                                X