No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i'm reading a fairly good book, called holder of lightning, by sl farrel. i still need to read inkheart, i've got the latest pendragon book at home, and i've also got the lost colony there...took me forever to get them out of the library, and since i'm reading two books besides holder of lightning at the moment, i haven't had time to get to the other two yet. *sighs* oh well, all in good time.
    ---
    harry potter wAS awesome...i know, things have probably been said since, but i'm still back there. i'm catching up from a few weeks ago! and i can almost always get a vision if i try, though i sometimes don't try...
    ---
    harry potter rules! that's on a note that happened way back, but i doubt we'll actually see any more books from her. anything she writes will be compared to harry potter, and if she goes even a decimal lower then the expectations...not good. hope harry doesn't die, as well. and, if h,.k. rowling is a real writer, by which i mean someone who not only writes, but can not help but writing, she probably will continue doing so, but not publish.
    ---
    quote:
    balthasar:
    I know Rowling is planning on releasing her books at this pace...so that she can get the money ... Personally, I think that is absolutely ridiculous. ... So of course it is going to take a longer amount of time to write a longer book!
    well, if you look down a bit, baltahsar says she was kidding...just htought i should defend her...though she may have beaten me too it. onto more posting!

[edited to consolidate quad post, and some judicious quote snipping. Gee, yr, prolix much? --kli]
    I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
    For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• [edited to white out spoiler comment --kli.]
      Is it really necessary to do that anymore? After all, the book has been out for three and a half years now...
      Well, I suppose perhaps it's just courtesy, but it seems a little over-protective. Just for good measure I should let you know that <span class="ev_code_WHITE">Darth Vader is Luke's father</span>, <span class="ev_code_WHITE">Soylent Green is people</span>, and <span class="ev_code_WHITE">Rhett leaves her in the end</span>.
      There, I've had my fun, I'm done.
      Worlebird
      ------------------------------------
      "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us the nicest of the damned." - They Might be Giants

Comment

• Hahaha worlebird...that's about the only line I know from the movie: <span class="ev_code_WHITE">I am your father</span>. Has anyone heard of a book called The Stolen Child? I read a review of it, and it sounds really good. I also read the book cover, which only makes me want to read it more. I'll buy it with the B&N gift card I got for Christmas.

And (I think I said this somewhere else) if the seventh Harry Potter book doesn't come out soon, I'm gonna die. Dai, cousins.
        I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. I have not got one who is a fool.--Oscar Wilde

Comment

• First of all, marina, I really have to comment on your siggy: I <3 it. XD I'm currently reading Pride And Prejudice for the second time, and loving it again. Sorry, had to say that.

Back to the topic. Worlebird, not everyone has read the book, so it's safer to just white the spoilers out. Better safe than sorry, no? And it's not actually very hard to do so. And, if I may ask, from which books do Rhett and Soylent come from? I've heard of them before, and I want to read the books.

Yes, I too I will die if the 7th book takes much longer. but to keep you busy, please, please read Twilight and New Moon....they were amazing.

-peri

Comment

• worlebird: You forgot: [<span class="ev_code_white">Rosebud is the sled.</span>]. Of course it's not necessary. It's just a nice thing to do, given that some folks may or may not be able to purchase books when they come out new in hardcover. Or in paperback. And then have to sit through the library's waiting list.

Peri, Rhett is from Gone With the Wind, and Soylent Green is the title of the 1973 film based on Harry Harrison's novel, Make Room! Make Room!. Although now the plot's spoiled for you. BTW, have you read Persuasion? It's my favorite of the Austens. And when you run out of Austen, remind me to tell you about Georgette Heyer...
            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Absolutely. Right after I finish Jane Eyre, The Scarlet Letter, and Kipling's The Jungle book.(I first picked it up when I was seven, so I tired of it rather easily. It's been sitting on my shelf haunting me for years...) And of course, I need to finish all of Austen's works (did I mention I love her?) and Agatha Christie's.

Afterwords, I will be utterly thrilled to hear about Ms. Heyer.

In the meantime, tell me what works she wrote! It's never any trouble adding a couple dozen books to my reading list.

-peri

Comment

• Thanks for the comment on my siggy. It's possibly my favorite line in the whole book.

Jane Eyre is wonderful, peri. I've read it at least five times. Emma, by Jane Austen also (you probably knew that), is pretty good too; I prefer Pride and Prejudice though, as Elizabeth seems a better person than Emma.

I second you're eagerness to hear of Heyer...I got a B&N gift card for Christmas, and I need something to buy with it. Dai, cousins.
                I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. I have not got one who is a fool.--Oscar Wilde

Comment

• My favorite Austen quote is from Persuasion:
                  "My idea of good company, Mr Elliot, is the company of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation; that is what I call good company."

"You are mistaken," said he gently, "that is not good company; that is the best. ..."
                  Georgette Heyer was someone with a long career in writing from the '20s until the '70s, and she crossed genres, writing both historicals and murder mysteries. But it's the historicals she's known for. They're mostly set during the Regency period (i.e., when the Prince (George IV) was regent to his father, the mad King George III), and have Austen-like elements to them.

The books she wrote at the beginning of her career, in the '20s, are typically Georgian set (late 18th century), and more adventure-driven, similar to Rafael Sabatini swashbucklers, but with the occasional active heroine. The books as they move from the '30s to the '50s become more comedy-of-manners and character driven.

Everybody has different favorites--it's practically like a Rorschach test. But mine would include The Masqueraders, These Old Shades and its sequel The Devil's Cub, Sylvester: Or the Wicked Uncle, The Unknown Ajax, The Foundling, and Civil Contract.

You will have to go into the dread Romance aisle to find her, but she's well worth it.

Love the Jane Eyre. Dead funny.
                  'Am I hideous, Jane?'

'Very, sir: you always were, you know.'
                  New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• I read Jane Eyre for the first time last summer. I didn't do anything but read it for two days. I've read Pride & Prejudice and I loved it, but I can't seem to get into Emma yet.
                    ~~~~Dani~~~~

Comment

• I'm kinda the same way, bookworm, but with the Bronte sisters, Charlotte and Emily. I read Jane Eyre with ease, but Wuthering Heights I can't seem to wrap my head around. Anne wrote a book, too, which I can't remember the name of, that I've only seen once at B&N. I don't know anyone that's read it, or if it's any good.

Comment

• bookworm6: go rent Clueless. That'll get you into the mood for Emma.

Marina, I'm (mostly) the same way about the Bront&euml;s. I can read all of Charlotte's stuff, can't stand Emily's. But I'm also incredibly weird in that of the three, I admire Anne the most as a writer--she's the most detailed and realistic in her character portrayals, which is probably why she's ignored--no wild flights of romance in her books. And loads of social commentary, which can make her seem preachy. She wrote two novels, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and Agnes Grey. The former deals with alcoholism and the (then) need for marriage reform; the latter is about a governess (Jane Eyre is a fantasy about being a governess. Agnes Grey is about the dreary realities of being one). Not sure that if you like Jane Eyre that you'd necessarily enjoy Anne's books, either, but they're worth a shot.

Comment

• Peri (or so I am led to believe):
                          I'm currently reading Pride And Prejudice for the second time, and loving it again.
                          Wow, this is kind of funny. I got the 10th anniversary disk of that for Christmas, and I am not ashamed to say I watched it at least three times already. Which is something, 'cause it's six hours long. I was also (re)attempting to read the book. I tried once and failed. I tried again, and still am. However, a certain <STRIKE>two</STRIKE> three books have caught my attention, the first being The End, which is kind of ironic. For those who are fans, but have not yet read it, I will tell you this: The end of the end of the end of A Series of Unfortunate Events will blow your mind. It brought up questions related to...uhm...Lemony. And Dedications that I shall not speak of. But anyway.

The second was, of course, Wintersmith which I enjoyed vastly (even though I felt sort of bad for a certain cold character).

The last one, actually today, I picked up in the morning at finished at about two minutes after 8. This, being an account of a sainty scoundrel that barely escapes the clutches of...Well, every man on board. That's right, our One and Only Jacky Faber, (lieutenant, that is) in "Under the Jolly Roger: Being an account of the further nautical misadventers of Mary "Jacky" Faber" or something like that, the book's downstairs and I'm too lazy.

As it is, I bought that last one with my own money, so extinguishing my only b&n money, and therefore I cannot buy the last book, "In the Belly of the Bloodhound" which upsets me as I am too shy to talk to our librarian about getting it and too anxious not to get the damned book soon. Whoops, Jacky's rubbing off on me, I dare say. Ach, weel.

Peri:
                          And of course, I need to finish all of Austen's works (did I mention I love her?) and Agatha Christie's.
                          I think you're my sister. Or doppleganger...*suspicious*

No, but now I seem in an Austen sort of mood with all this talk about her. Maybe I'll go fetch the book and read a little more of Pride and Predjudice. I <3 Mr. Bingley, he's sort of clueless and cute. Or maybe Wuthering Heights, which is hiding in my room somewhere.

I feel bad for Jane Austen (which she'd probably hate, come to think of it). It's not very hard to find where her plotlines come from, if you just peek a little inter her life. But... she still wrote well, and I don't think anyone could have created a better Lizzy :P

Well, I'm off to mope and scheme and find a way to get my greedy paws on Jacky Faber's account....Er, I mean, to borrow it nicely from our kind bookstore, whose owner has conveniently slipped me the keys...XD

EDIT: (isn't it odd that two books I have read recently, mentioned aforehand, have their own book in their book? *thinks of Inkheart*)
                          just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

• Have you noticed that fantisy for young adults has really been sinking in quality for the last few years or so? (except for DD, of course! )
                            I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

• Pride and Predjudice has been sitting on my bookcase for almost four years now and I have yet to get past the first chapter. I want to read it so badly, but it starts out too slow for my taste and I just can't get into it.

I started reading The Count of Monte Cristo three weeks ago, but halted that with the end of finals. I really need to get back to reading that, but I'm just so obsorbed with the internet Though I did spend four hours yesterday rereading Amelia A****er-Rhodes' vampire books. That woman is pure genius! I've yet to read her two more recent books, Falcon Dance and Wolf Cry, but I'm just itching to get my own copies. I actually need to get all of the Kiesha'Ra series. And I need to finish reading the Wicked quartet by Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie. Oi! I have too many books on my reading list!
                              <center><p style="font-family:times;font-size:70%">*Lilith*Lil*L*Lex*Lexa*Lexi*Alex*Ayan*Ay ankha*Bryce*Sakura*Lady Black*Niya*Ghost*Lady*Tai*Tig*Tygera*Punk-D*Punkti*K'ra*Sha'uri*Kiara*</p></center>

Comment

• oh, and Inkheart is an exeption as well. Has anyone read madeline L'engle when they were younger?

Lilith, if I may Have the honor of a question, who is Amelia A****er-Rhodes? I'm terribly sorry if it is not my place to ask.

Merging two posts - Peter
                                I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

Working...
                                X